iOS 10 - Verizon WiFi Calling

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by mbaran, Jun 16, 2016.

1. mbaran macrumors regular

Is anyone else using Verizon's WiFi calling with iOS 10.

For me, it works perfectly fine after a reboot, but then after some time (hours, overnight?) it stops working.

Moving into Airplane Mode with WiFi turned on does not trigger WiFi Calling to kick in. A reboot normally resolves the issue.

Has anyone else seen this? I've already submitted a bug report to Apple as well.

2. jhagg macrumors member

jhagg

3. mbaran thread starter macrumors regular

Oh good! There's nothing worse than being the only one with a problem.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Verizon's WiFi Calling is similar to AT&T and unlike TMO. Verizon and AT&T's WiFi calling only kicks in when you have low service. TMO on the other hand has it activated when you are connected to WiFi 24/7. So if it goes away on your iPhone, its probably because its not 'needed'.

5. mbaran thread starter macrumors regular

You may have missed where I wrote

I'm fully aware how WiFi calling works. I also know that in Airplane Mode, with WiFi enabled, iOS should enable WiFi calling.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I didn't miss that. You did not explicitly say that when moving to low service it's not turning on. Airplane mode = no service, not low service. On AT&T, wifi calling doesn't kick in until 2-3 minutes after turning on Airplane mode and WiFi. It's not instantaneous.

7. mbaran thread starter macrumors regular

If it reboot, it works as anticipated for a period of time. Verizon's WiFi calling kicks in within seconds of Airplane mode and is normally active in ~90% of my home when not in Airplane mode.

Like I said, right now, it's not working. If I reboot, it kicks in. The user above me is having the same issue.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Odd, on Verizon it kicks in pretty quickly.

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Yeah. Not on AT&T. Just timed it twice on my 6s. First time was 1:48. Second was 1:46. So almost 2 minutes both times.

10. Xenden macrumors regular

I have wifi-calling on my iPhone with Verizon, and have had no issues.

11. mbaran thread starter macrumors regular

I was able to actually trace this further than WiFi calling.

Today I noticed that on my Verizon 6S+ (fresh install using xcode 8, restored a 9.3.3b1 backup) not just WiFi calling ceases to work until a reboot, but actually VoLTE.

I noticed today while driving that with full LTE my calls were dropping data and going to 1x. I tried 3-4 numbers, same. Rebooted my phone and voila, VoLTE. When I got home, WiFI calling was also working as expected.

I did a "reset all network settings" already, so I am not sure what causes VoLTE/WiFi calling to become unavailable until a reboot.