iOS 10 Voicemail Transcription

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Markgnyc2, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Markgnyc2 macrumors member

I have a Verizon Wireless 6s plus...and the new voicemail transcription is nowhere to be found. Anyone else not seeing this new feature?

2. thedru13 macrumors regular

I am curious about this as well. I have not been able to figure it out. I have read that it might be a carrier restriction?

3. jpiszcz macrumors regular

Has anyone been able to get this to work with other US carriers?

4. johnv0329 macrumors newbie

I also have not seen the transcription feature on my phone and I have AT&T.

5. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Wow, mine works! I have a 6S with Verizon. Apparently, you need to have a Verizon feature called Visual Voicemail. Nothing else to turn on besides that through the carrier. All you do is tap on a listed voicemail message and it expands to show the transcribed text.

6. Markgnyc2 thread starter macrumors member

Wouldn't every iPhone have visual voicemail? I have had it for years, but transcription isn't working...

7. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

So is this just a US thing? I have visual voicemail with EE in the UK

8. audirs5 macrumors 6502

9. CPx macrumors 6502

It's been working on my T-Mobile 6s. There's been a delay in the delivery of the voicemail, but I'm not sure if it's Apple's fault or just T-Mobile delivering voicemails slow (wouldn't be the first time).

Seems to work reasonably well. There was nothing I turned on--it appears when you click the voicemail in the visual voicemail interface. They label the feature beta and ask for feedback. Maybe they're doing a gradual rollout while they tweak the feature.

10. thedru13 macrumors regular

Att here. Rebooted my phone and re checked. Seems to be working now. There definitely seems to be a delay.

11. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

No, it's a feature from the cellular provider. Depends on what your plan gives you.

Try a reboot on your phone and see if that helps.

12. audirs5 macrumors 6502

Still doesn't work for me.

13. blackjackmark macrumors 6502

Worked for me tonight, at&t is my carrier. Even asked if it was helpful and gives the option to forward to them to help improve the accuracy.

14. darrenf1 macrumors member

Reset your network settings. Then it will work.

15. planetgirth macrumors member

Is this only a 6s and 7 feature? Where can I get a list of what will/will not work on the 6?

16. Markgnyc2 thread starter macrumors member

Update....a reboot worked and now all my voicemails (even old ones) have been transcribed...

17. Ramrod82 macrumors regular

Ramrod82

Wasn't working on my 6s plus last night...Att....did a hard reset and made a call from work and now it seems to be working.

18. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

This was an already existing service that you can add to your plan for #2.99/month. Wouldn't all new phones have the option of visual voicemail now? This is a bit confusing to me.

19. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Yes, I believe the iPhone is capable of handling visual voicemail. However, you may still need to activate the feature with your carrier.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

As far as I understand it, the carrier feature you mentioned is a slightly different one that is provided from them--they provide the transcriptions and all that--and doesn't really use what iOS 10 provides itself as far as transcriptions go.