Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will iOS 10 have a proper redesign?

• Yes: The current UI has gotten stale and needs an overhaul

Votes: 65 25.2%
  • No: Apple will drag it out the current UI as long as they can

Votes: 193 74.8%

• Total voters

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Maybe because I was running iOS 8 on the latest flagships of those time.Pretty sure if I was using iOS 9 on a 6S and a iPad Pro I wouldn't have anything to complain about

Just a few weeks ago you were complaining about Microsoft pushing Windows 10 upgrade on to consumers. Come on dude, you complain about everything.

I don't know if you get bored and do this on purpose to get a reaction out of people or if you really are this way (scary thought). :p

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Maybe because I was running iOS 8 on the latest flagships of those time.Pretty sure if I was using iOS 9 on a 6S and a iPad Pro I wouldn't have anything to complain about
Given that people complain about things even with those devices, that seems unlikely.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Just a few weeks ago you were complaining about Microsoft pushing Windows 10 upgrade on to consumers. Come on dude, you complain about everything.

I don't know if you get bored and do this on purpose to get a reaction out of people or if you really are this way (scary thought). :p
Yes,what Microsoft is doing has been opposed on quite a few tech blogs FYI.They recently put Windows 10 as a recommended with no cancel button.What they did is wrong.Its not complaining if I dont like how a MNC is forcing upgrades

2015-10-1511-21-00.jpg

^^This message popped up on my Work PC and I didnt even realise it had downloaded Windows 10 in the background

Given that people complain about things even with those devices, that seems unlikely.

I have used a 6S and there is a night and day difference compared to my 6

Reactions: na1577

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Nothing weird in the comparison itself. But there is no regression...
iOS 9 is proven to be a lot worse on many different things. More stutter, app launch delay, etc. A lot of direct comparison videos on YouTube are proof of this. On some aspects it's better, but it's also worse on a lot of aspects. Significant regression in a lot of important aspects = worse iteration of iOS.

Reactions: trifid

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Y...

Have my 6+ and 6S+. There is a significant difference in performance, functionality, and smoothness between the two. One thing that is the same: the time it takes for the system to allow another action when switching from one app to another. It's an animation thing and appears to be time driven.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes,what Microsoft is doing has been opposed on quite a few tech blogs FYI.They recently put Windows 10 as a recommended with no cancel button.What they did is wrong.Its not complaining if I dont like how a MNC is forcing upgrades

2015-10-1511-21-00.jpg

^^This message popped up on my Work PC and I didnt even realise it had downloaded Windows 10 in the background

So the so called inherent iOS 9 issues that are supposed to be there on basically any device with iOS 9 aren't really there then for some devices after all? The contradictions, they keep on coming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zirel

Baby12

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2015
Stavanger
I know one thing. I won't update my 6 and 6s+ to iOS 10 even if the new system will come with features like split view. Sorry, I'm disappointed. I don't believe that Apple is going to improve the speed wise. Sorry. I need stable system BTW: Yesterday I Was in T-mobile and there were a few iPhones like 6S+ which was running iOS 9.0. I was shocked how laggy that thing was. Magic apple!? Buahaha

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

2015-10-1511-21-00.jpg

Don't like it? Don't use Microsoft Windows. Microsoft doesn't work for you. They don't have to do things your way.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
So the so called inherent iOS 9 issues that are supposed to be there on basically any device with iOS 9 aren't really there then for some devices after all? The contradictions, they keep on coming.
I didn't say the 6S is perfect just it's way better than my 6 in animation fps and performance.Besides I don't really get a chance to use the 6S extensively to find out but from what I gathered from the surface it had very very less lags
I know one thing. I won't update my 6 and 6s+ to iOS 10 even if the new system will come with features like split view. Sorry, I'm disappointed. I don't believe that Apple is going to improve the speed wise. Sorry. I need stable system BTW: Yesterday I Was in T-mobile and there were a few iPhones like 6S+ which was running iOS 9.0. I was shocked how laggy that thing was. Magic apple!? Buahaha

Depending on whether I get the iPhone 7 or a Galaxy S7 Edge,I will just update my 6 to find out how far Apple screws it up before I just end up using it for casual messaging
Don't like it? Don't use Microsoft Windows. Microsoft doesn't work for you. They don't have to do things your way.
No.I bought the OS.I specifically declined their update twice and they forcibly downloaded it.I used the HOSTS file and my firewall to block all possible connections to Microsoft servers spending nearly 39 minutes in the registry to not give Ms the satisfaction of forcing me to upgrade.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I didn't say the 6S is perfect just it's way better than my 6 in animation fps and performance.Besides I don't really get a chance to use the 6S extensively to find out but from what I gathered from the surface it had very very less lags

Depending on whether I get the iPhone 7 or a Galaxy S7 Edge,I will just update my 6 to find out how far Apple screws it up before I just end up using it for casual messaging

No.I bought the OS.I specifically declined their update twice and they forcibly downloaded it.I used the HOSTS file and my firewall to block all possible connections to Microsoft servers spending nearly 39 minutes in the registry to not give Ms the satisfaction of forcing me to upgrade.

Cool. Do you also remove the Air Conditioning compressor from the cars you buy because it uses up too much fuel in your opinion?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Why don't you want to upgrade to Windows 10? Haven't you said multiple times to back many of your arguments that you liked windows 10 and how "smooth" it is compared to OS X and iOS? Now you hate it because it doesn't fit in your current argument? You flip flop and contradict yourself so much.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Why don't you want to upgrade to Windows 10? Haven't you said multiple times to back many of your arguments that you liked windows 10 and how "smooth" it is compared to OS X and iOS? Now you hate it because it doesn't fit in your current argument? You flip flop and contradict yourself so much.

Windows 10 is a very very smooth running OS. It has a few issues around forced updates, spying on everything connected to it, and updating drivers that shouldn't be updated. JMHO, of course. I'm moving the majority of my desktop/notebook stuff to another OS. Or two.

Now if iOS could get the functionality; aka smooth slick speed, that Win10 has.... :D

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Do you have an opinion yourself or do you only keep asking cynical questions? It's really annoying. Please try to provide meaningful input to the discussion as well. I reported your post for trolling.

Answer to your question: you're quoting selectively, it's not contradicting.

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I am talking about my other PC.I want to keep it on Windows 7.Some of my legacy applications don't run well on Windows 10

Last edited:

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Forced Updates! That's the only bad thing Microsoft picked up from Apple.

But given the nature of Widows, we can still go back. Previous install stays on the hard disk for 30 days.

CagdasCizer

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2015
What I said only applies to CPU, so I'll focus on the CPU. The A4 is a pretty standard Cortex A8 inside. The A5 is a pretty standard Cortex A9. It is starting A6 that Apple started blowing away the competition (Cortex A15) with a smart architecture that focuses on large and wide bus speeds to achieve it's excellent performance. I saw this as a very good architecture improvement over the Cortex A8 in the A5.

I was blown away by the A7 which seems to pretty much doubled performance with pure architecture efficiencies and minimal clock speed improvement. The A8 is lacklustre as they started running out of ideas/things to do on the architecture side and just relied on a die shrink to 20nm.

The A9 is again quite impressive, but they didn't achieve something magical like the A7. They got the gains, approximately half of them from the architecture improvement, and the other half from the much higher clock speed from the 14/16nm manufacturing process.

Notice in each A6, A7, and in A9 there were *massive* architecture improvements? There is only so much improvement you can do to an architecture, and I feel they have reached a point where they've optimized so much that there will only be one more major optimization gain. Think about it, the A9X is reaching pretty close to the performance of Intel i3 chips at a fraction of the power consumption. They've already done way better on the architecture side than I expected. Apple have already exhausted the traditional techniques of improving IPC from increasing memory interface width, bus lanes, FINFET, etc. Intel's rate of improvement has dropped to the 10% range for over 5 years already because they've ran out of big things to improve on. Therefore, I think they're reaching the limits on the architecture side.

The other way to increase performance is to increase the clock speed, and you can do that without excessive consequences of heat and power consumption from smaller manufacturing processes. But Apple is already at 14nm. There won't be too many more die shrinks. There will be 10nm, then 7nm, and below that will get very, very hard due to the increasing quantum effects on the transistors as they become close to the size of an atom and some basic physics limitations on size. We won't even reach 10nm for at least 2 years, and when we get 10nm, that'll very likely be Apple's second last major CPU performance improvement. At that point, power consumption should be low enough that Apple can move from dual core to quad core, and this move will be the last major CPU performance improvement.

However, I can see Apple moving towards quad core very soon, as early as the A10, because Apple has gotten a die shrink with every generation, but they will be stuck on the same process and won't get a boost from a die shrink. Therefore I don't think they'll get a large enough boost in performance from architecture or clock speed (which is already very high), and they'll have to rely on more cores.

Attachments

• 6591c415409087.562909be737fb.jpg
    6591c415409087.562909be737fb.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 152

Robstevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
ios has become better feature wise, performance while it has gotten considerably worse.

Remember all the times people on here said android lagged? The latest software releases makes ios lag.

9 was meant to improved that yet I have seen even the mighty ipad pro stutter at times in certain places.

Animations make the device seem slow as well.

Reactions: dk001 and trifid

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
On Topic now:

It is really hard to say about optimizations. But I am sure that the performance will regress further.

Predictions of iOS 10 compared to iOS 9
4S, iPad 2,3 : Support dropped
5S,5,5c : will run like 4S
6 : will run like 5S
6 Plus : unusable and will be glitchy (award for worst phone apple created specs wise)
6S, 6S Plus : will be smooth and chug along.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
ios has become better feature wise, performance while it has gotten considerably worse.

Remember all the times people on here said android lagged? The latest software releases makes ios lag.

9 was meant to improved that yet I have seen even the mighty ipad pro stutter at times in certain places.

Animations make the device seem slow as well.
It's done on purpose to force people to upgrade.Hopefully with the declining sales they will rethink their strategy

Reactions: sanke1

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015

Were they special snowflakes?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.