venomx999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
Uk
Anybody else running the new ios on they'r SE ?

Its lightening quick like 11.1.2 and battery about the same

your thoughts ?

jrdatrackstar1223

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
Brownsburg, IN
Running great on my SE as well. The only thing is battery life is worse to begin with but I think it started to level out by the time I hard reset (had a separate issue that I needed to fix). I will hopefully see similar battery life I was getting prior to resetting. Still not 10.3.3 but pretty close.

Reactions: venomx999

venomx999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
Uk
Running great on my SE as well. The only thing is battery life is worse to begin with but I think it started to level out by the time I hard reset (had a separate issue that I needed to fix). I will hopefully see similar battery life I was getting prior to resetting. Still not 10.3.3 but pretty close.

Awesome, i did a clean install yesterday, hope to see some increase in battery... even if it doesn't increase the battery is fine providing it lasts the day :)

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Its OK, but when I compare performance to my iPhone X there is no question SE owners should be thinking about upgrading to a new iPhone now.
Why if I am perfectly happy with how my SE works?? Does the X make better phone calls? Will my Safeway app give me better results? Will the weather app give me more accurate weather data? Will the stock market numbers be different? I really don't understand why "SE owners should be thinking about upgrading to a new iPhone now"

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
Why if I am perfectly happy with how my SE works?? Does the X make better phone calls? Will my Safeway app give me better results? Will the weather app give me more accurate weather data? Will the stock market numbers be different? I really don't understand why "SE owners should be thinking about upgrading to a new iPhone now"

iOS 11 stutters a fair bit on the SE with lots of dropped frames and struggles with some apps.

Everything runs more smoothly with iPhone X which leads to increased productivity. If you upgrade to iPhone X, that bigger display will also make you more productive and unlock more potential of your iPhone. The small screen is proven bad for productivity and efficiency. iOS 11 is designed for bigger screens too and some of the new UI doesn't work great on the tiny SE display.

If you are happy with what you have then fair enough, but you are missing out on a lot.

-BigMac-

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
iOS 11 stutters a fair bit on the SE with lots of dropped frames and struggles with some apps.

Everything runs more smoothly with iPhone X which leads to increased productivity. If you upgrade to iPhone X, that bigger display will also make you more productive and unlock more potential of your iPhone. The small screen is proven bad for productivity and efficiency. iOS 11 is designed for bigger screens too and some of the new UI doesn't work great on the tiny SE display.

If you are happy with what you have then fair enough, but you are missing out on a lot.
I beg to differ the iPhone 8/+ is more productive as you dont have to have additional gestures/holds in your workflow. Ie app switcher activation.

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
I beg to differ the iPhone 8/+ is more productive as you dont have to have additional gestures/holds in your workflow. Ie app switcher activation.

Once you adapt to the new gestures, you'll never want to go back. And in Apples own words iPhone X is the future, iPhone 8 is already living on borrowed time. You're going to have to adapt to iPhone X if you want to stay with iPhone.

Reactions: -BigMac-

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.

You make the assumption that most people make and that is I use my phone as a computer. I don't. My primary use is as a phone followed by occasional use to search out little bits of info. I check the weather, check the stock market, I have an alarm set for something I have to do at a particular time and I text occasionally. I do absolutely nothing that I would call "productive". And pretty sure I can do all those things with just as much efficiency as I could on an X.
I really can't think of anything I am missing other than the nerdy joy of owning the latest iPhone.

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
You make the assumption that most people make and that is I use my phone as a computer. I don't. My primary use is as a phone followed by occasional use to search out little bits of info. I check the weather, check the stock market, I have an alarm set for something I have to do at a particular time and I text occasionally. I do absolutely nothing that I would call "productive". And pretty sure I can do all those things with just as much efficiency as I could on an X.
I really can't think of anything I am missing other than the nerdy joy of owning the latest iPhone.

I make no assumptions. I just want everyone to have the best possible iOS experience. As I said, if you are happy with what you have - and clearly you are - then I guess I'm happy for you.

Reactions: Martyimac

-BigMac-

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Once you adapt to the new gestures, you'll never want to go back. And in Apples own words iPhone X is the future, iPhone 8 is already living on borrowed time. You're going to have to adapt to iPhone X if you want to stay with iPhone.
I agree on all counts, and pending Apples ability to further improve the gestures this will definitely become the more productive solution. For now though atleast, they are still a bit away from being streamlined :)

Lodesman

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
Folkestone, Kent, UK
My SE (32gb) is just fine on 11.2 thanks very much.

As for spending £1000+ on a phone, any phone, that is not going to happen any time soon especially as it comes with built-in obsolescence (note the Apple policy of new models every year). What an absurd amount of money to spend on something as superficial as a phone. My phone is used for making calls, texts, WhatsApp, FaceTime etc., none of which requires spending substantial sums of money.

"You're going to have to adapt to iPhone X if you want to stay with iPhone." If that is the case then bye, bye Apple - there are plenty more smartphones out there and the concept of commercial loyalty is very outmoded nowadays.

My phone is not a lifestyle item, it is a convenient tool to make my daily life easier and nothing else, all I ask is that it works.

Last edited:

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007

Productivity and efficiency are hard measures. Given that people already have their current iPhones, that’s a sunk cost. To go to an X would cost $1000. Can you quantify if this efficiency and productivity is worth $1000?

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I'll deal with the new learning curve once I have to buy a new phone. But until then, no need to spend the money, my SE doesn't stutter on anything I do.

venomx999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
Uk
I supose as long as the battery lasts the day, i cannot complain

I use it from 7am to 6pm then charge, and even then its still between 70-85%
[doublepost=1512502118][/doublepost]I did a factory reset, then re installed ios 11.2, then all my apps manually with " Setup as new iphone " and now it charges loads quicker, and battery life is slightly better than 11.1.2

Last edited:
Reactions: jrdatrackstar1223

v1p

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
It’s almost perfect and will be absolutely perfect on 11.3, which will be highly optimized like every point 3 release. Even 5s, which struggles now, will have acceptable speed and fluidity then.

Devvy

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2014

A lot of productivity improvement is needed to cover the price difference of 800 euros here....
And guess what, next year the X will stutter too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.