iOS 11.2 Supports Faster 7.5W Charging on iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X From Qi-Based Wireless Charging Accessories

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 13, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Starting with iOS 11.2, the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X are able to charge at 7.5 watts using compatible Qi-based wireless charging accessories.

Currently, on iOS 11.1.1, the three devices charge at 5 watts using Qi wireless chargers, but Apple promised that faster speeds would become available in a future update. It appears that update is iOS 11.2.

[​IMG]

MacRumors received a tip about the new feature from accessory maker RAVpower this evening, and tested the new charging speeds to confirm. Using the Belkin charger that Apple sells, which does support 7.5W charging speeds, the iPhone X was charged from 46 to 66 percent over the course of thirty minutes.

The same iPhone charged from 46 percent to 60 percent over 30 minutes when using a wireless charging accessory that does not offer 7.5W charging speeds. Our testing was intended to emulate real world conditions, with a case on and Airplane Mode not activated.

With support for 7.5W charging speeds, the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and iPhone X will be able to charge more quickly over a wireless connection, and it appears 7.5W wireless charging speeds are faster than the speeds you get with the standard wired 5W power adapter.

At 7.5 watts, Apple's wireless iPhones do not support the same wireless charging speeds that are available on some other Qi-based smartphones, as the current Qi 1.2 standard allows for up to 15W of wireless charging power. Still, 7.5 watts is better than 5 watts and should offer some noticeable improvements for iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X owners.

Both the Mophie Wireless Charging Base and the Belkin Boost Up Wireless Charging Pad that are available from Apple support the faster 7.5W wireless charging speeds.

Several other Qi-based wireless charging accessories from other third-party manufacturers also support the higher speeds, such as the RAVpower Fast Wireless Charger, but there are accessories out there that don't, so you'll want to look for 7.5W charging speeds as a listed feature when making a purchase.

iOS 11.2 is limited to developers and public beta testers at this time, but as we're on the third beta, a public release could come in a few weeks to a month.

Article Link: iOS 11.2 Supports Faster 7.5W Charging on iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X From Qi-Based Wireless Charging Accessories

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Great news. Hopefully we’ll see even better things in 2018 as Apple augments the Qi standard.

3. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

4. mattysmith118 macrumors 6502

Will they update it to 15w in the future maybe? anyone know?

5. macTW macrumors 65816

Glad to hear it’s coming and glad to hear they took their time. When it comes to charging and batteries... rushed products can have explosive effects.

6. Applebot1 macrumors 6502

Good news for all that have the latest models. Apple will really push wireless charging going forward which is good for the industry as a whole.

7. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

Do the iPhone 8 and X charge faster with the wireless charging if you put them in a microwave oven?

8. Avieshek macrumors 6502a

Avieshek

Not possible friend. Not even 9w. It's a hardware limitation.

9. mattysmith118 macrumors 6502

Has anyone tried charging with the cable and wireless pad at the same time? Out of curiosity
    --- Post Merged, Nov 13, 2017 ---
    Thank you bud

Maybe in future iPhones eh. Still 7.5w is better than 5w

There is also fast charging with the cable if you really need it to charge faster

10. Mr Fusion macrumors 6502a

Mr Fusion

What's the point of wireless charging if it requires additional hardware, charges at half the speed of a conventional charger, and still requires you to place your phone in a specific location like a normal cable?

Someone sell me on this.

11. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

I use a Samsung 5W QI charger and it doesn’t even seem that slow. :shrug:

12. mattysmith118 macrumors 6502

Samsung 5w charger? you must of had that a while lol

13. ersan191 macrumors regular

Just tried it, the light on the wireless pad turns on and power is flowing but there's no new visual indicators on screen - my guess is that wireless takes priority and it shuts off the wired power, that's how most phones are.

14. KONVICTED Suspended

KONVICTED

I perfer fast charging through cable, it takes alot less time to charge (upto 50% in half an hour)

15. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Correct me if I’m wrong but this is still not anywhere near as fast as using the iPad charger, right? I mean it’s nice to have wireless charging and all but I still prefer the faster corded charging.

16. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

5W QI charger.

17. mattysmith118 macrumors 6502

So I take it it doesn't charge even faster then? haha imagine charging at 22.5w :p

18. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

No, using the iPad charger is still faster.

19. mattysmith118 macrumors 6502

Correct

Haven't bought a Samsung QI charger before just didn't think they would ship with a 5w tbh

20. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Hope you guys will do a side by side between the faster wireless charging and the iPad charger (which I think is the better option compared to the usbC because of cost and only marginal improvement when moving up to the usbC).

21. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

I am usually not in a rush to quickly charge it as I place it on a mat before I go to bed but this is welcome update.

22. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Sure, it's something we can look into and potentially write about.

23. mattysmith118 macrumors 6502

Could you do all the different types of charging with speeds etc for better comparison please?

24. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

I was told once that microwave does destroy electronics! But I guess that is a myth.........
    --- Post Merged, Nov 13, 2017 ---
    Can I ask, what is it with the racing to charge it as fast as possible? Don't most people charge their devices overnight?

25. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Yes, I'm thinking maybe a comparison of 7.5W wireless charging, charging with the 5W iPhone adapter, charging with the iPad adapter, and then charging with the USB-C to Lightning cable and a MacBook adapter.