iOS 11.3 Charge Level

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by now i see it, Mar 29, 2018.

1. now i see it macrumors 68030

iOS 11.3 has a new power management feature that unfortunately only works on iPads: Charge Management.

This is Apple's dummied down explanation as to what it's doing.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208710

Basically it's keeping the device at a lower charge level to save the battery if it's plugged in all the time.

This is Apple's first acknowledgement that keeping a device (iPad, iPhone, MacBook) plugged in continuously degrades the battery. Yet---- they are only implementing this power management feature for the iPad.

I sure wish they included this new feature for iPhone as well.

2. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

It's quite interesting because I own the Apple battery case that always charges your phone.

3. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

That is part of the basics of how pretty much any li-ion battery works. No real secret or anything really new there. As to it being applicable to iPads, it seems those are the more likely iOS devices to be constantly plugged in. That said, doesn't seem like they can't really roll that out for other iOS devices, aside from maybe the same approach not applying quite as well to devices with much smaller batteries.

4. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

This is just common sense for keeping Li-ion batteries healthy.

Some people out there refused to believe a 100% charge was detrimental to battery health. This new feature in iOS 11.3 proves otherwise.

The 80/20 rule for charge/discharge that applies to Tesla vehicles applies to anything with a li-ion battery.