Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today previewed iOS 11.3, its next major iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch software update. The first beta has been seeded to developers today, with a public beta coming soon, ahead of an official release this spring.

iOS 11.3 introduces new Animoji on the iPhone X, including a lion, bear, dragon, and skull. There will now be 16 characters to choose from in total, including existing ones like a pig, fox, chicken, pile of poo, and robot.

new-animoji-11.3-800x224.jpg

iOS 11.3 will feature ARKit 1.5. In addition to horizontal surfaces like tables and chairs, Apple's updated augmented reality platform will now be able to recognize and place virtual objects on vertical surfaces like walls and doors, and more accurately map irregularly shaped surfaces like circular tables.

Apple_AR_Experience_01232018-800x533.jpg

ARKit 1.5 can find and recognize the position of 2D images such as signs, posters, and artwork, and integrate these real-world images into augmented reality experiences, such as bringing a movie poster to life. In addition, the view of the "real world" will now be in 1080p HD, up from 720p currently.

The software update will introduce Business Chat, a new way for users to communicate directly with businesses within the Messages app. This feature will launch in beta following the public release of iOS 11.3 this spring, with support from select businesses, including Discover, Hilton, Lowe's, and Wells Fargo.

business-chat.jpg
With Business Chat, it's easy to have a conversation with a service representative, schedule an appointment or make purchases using Apple Pay in the Messages app. Business Chat doesn't share the user's contact information with businesses and gives users the ability to stop chatting at any time.
In the Health app on iOS 11.3, users will be able to view health records, including available medical data from multiple providers like Johns Hopkins and Cedars-Sinai. The data is encrypted and protected with a passcode.

health-records-ios-11.3-800x735.jpg

iOS 11.3 will provide users with an iPhone 6 or newer with more information about the health of their device's battery, including a recommendation if it needs to be serviced. In the same menu, it will also be possible to see if Apple's power management feature is active and turn it off if desired.

Apple says the battery and power management features will be coming in a later iOS 11.3 beta release, so they won't be available today.

Other new iOS 11.3 features include more prominent placement of music videos in Apple Music, a new Video section in the "For You" tab of Apple News, and support for Advanced Mobile Location (AML) to automatically send a user's current location when making a call to emergency services where supported.

The first beta of iOS 11.3 will be seeded to developers later today, followed by a public beta soon. The software update will be released to the public this spring for iPhone 5s and newer, all iPad Air and iPad Pro models, the fifth-generation iPad, iPad mini 2 and newer, and the sixth-generation iPod touch.

Update: Apple has seeded the first beta of iOS 11.3 to developers.

Article Link: iOS 11.3 Coming This Spring With New Animoji, Vertical ARKit, Health Records, Battery Info, and More

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
i though this:

- HomeKit software authentication provides a great new way for developers to add HomeKit support to existing accessories while protecting privacy and security.

was already in iOS 11. never knew it slipped?

Reactions: xpxp2002

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Just what the world has been waiting for. More Animoji. How about iCloud messages and AirPlay 2....

Well at least we're better off than the last few years when the flagship feature of each OS was more old-fashioned Emoji. Animoji are a huge improvement that will push Apple past $1 Trillion. Way to go Timmy, hand yourself another few million out of petty cash.

Last edited:
Reactions: Naaaaak

nigameash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Space: The Final Frontier
- Apple Music will soon be the home for music videos. Users can stream all the music videos they want without being interrupted by ads. They can also watch the hottest new videos, the classics or ones from their favorite artists back-to-back in new music video playlists.

Does that mean no more need for the Youtube app? Ad free Youtube in the Music app?

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I don’t understand how iMessages in the Cloud can be so difficult to release.

As it stands right now my messages sync with my Mac and whenever you backup your phone all of the messages are backed up too.

I don’t see the big deal with the messages actively syncing with the cloud AND your devices.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Music videos in Apple Music? I'm actually kind of excited about this. Though perhaps it should be called Apple Multimedia at that point.

Also, I don't understand what the hoopla is about iMessages in the Cloud? They're synced across all devices anyway (except for my SE without a SIM in it for some reason).

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
I think iCloud in messages has been scrapped for iOS 11, maybe a major security threat has made it not go live, hopefully iOS 12 beta in June

Reactions: bgro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.