iOS 11.3 -Gmail keeps showing ghost unread emails

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by cdodsworth, Apr 10, 2018.

1. cdodsworth macrumors newbie

Not sure if this is a new bug but it certainly only started appearing after I updated my phone to 11.3 the other day.

Basically the built in mail app with a gmail account setup keeps showing 7 emails in the list and in the dock as a badge.

Pulling down the mail app to refresh makes them disappear but they return again.
    When you check in the actual account itself and filter by unread you see an empty list.

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1977.PNG

2. Johnny365 macrumors 6502

Johnny365

3. cdodsworth thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried all the force quitting, disable the account and enable it and still it persists. I know in the past gmail accounts have come up with gremlins in iOS. Hopefully in the next update they will fix this problem. Or else I might just bin the gmail

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Strange, haven't had this kind of issue with a few different Gmail accounts on a couple of different iPhones.

5. AMTYVLE macrumors 6502

AMTYVLE

Make sure those 7 emails aren't in a SPAM folder. I seen this before and only figured it out after logging in to my Gmail on an actual PC, and seeing those emails were in the SPAM folder. After I deleted them that phantom number in the iOS stock email app went away.

6. Helmsley macrumors regular

Helmsley

By disable, do you mean removing it completely?

Try removing it completely, force close Mail, restart your device then add it again. This worked for me when I had the same issue in iOS 11.

7. cdodsworth thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried all that. Deleted the account completely, forced quit the mail app, rebooted. Added the gmail account back in and still these 7 emails showing as unread. Went online to gmail account and checked all unread, spam etc. Still nothing there.
    Deleted any spam emails, emptied the trash. And still they persist. So it must be an iOS11 bug.

8. atlchamp macrumors 68000

iOS 11 as a whole is a bug. I’m sick of it

9. Dhutch7813 macrumors newbie

Same here. Showed up as soon as I upgraded. And I’m one of those people who HATES having unread notifications :-/

10. freakomac macrumors member

Yes, it happens for me. I thought the push notification settings for mail got reset or something ( I normally have them set to manual). Even reboots and hard resets are not helping.

11. mthomas184 macrumors 6502

mthomas184

I had this issue for a while. It also used to do that on 3rd party email apps as well. It just eventually stopped, but it was super annoying!