Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctomyan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2018
Austin, TX
Had my iPhone 8 screen replaced by a repair store nearby a month and a half ago. Last night, after the 11.3 update installed, touch feedback was disabled for the third-party screen completely. No way for me to unlock my phone at all. Brought it into the same store, and they said that the only screen it would work with was an OEM screen (they tried a cracked OEM screen). Anyone else having this issue?

Samuel79

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2017
Had my iPhone 8 screen replaced by a repair store nearby a month and a half ago. Last night, after the 11.3 update installed, touch feedback was disabled for the third-party screen completely. No way for me to unlock my phone at all. Brought it into the same store, and they said that the only screen it would work with was an OEM screen (they tried a cracked OEM screen). Anyone else having this issue?

Best downgrade now while the old versions are still being signed

Or you will have a expensive brick

ctomyan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2018
Austin, TX
update: took it into the repair shop and they said that this is an issue with many third-party screens across the country. Seems it hasn't picked up steam because the 8 is a relatively new phone and most people haven't had to had a screen replaced, but they recommend a hybrid-OEM screen or downgrading to 11.2 in the meantime. Don't let Apple automatically install the update while you sleep if you've had your screen replaced on an 8/8+ for now

Samuel79

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2017
update: took it into the repair shop and they said that this is an issue with many third-party screens across the country. Seems it hasn't picked up steam because the 8 is a relatively new phone and most people haven't had to had a screen replaced, but they recommend a hybrid-OEM screen or downgrading to 11.2 in the meantime. Don't let Apple automatically install the update while you sleep if you've had your screen replaced on an 8/8+ for now

I am afraid its worse than you really think. I can see a more lawsuits coming lol

What it means if if you do not change the screen back to oem then you are always going to be on 11.2 for the life of the phone that also means you can never restore it if there is ever a problem down the line so if they apply this in other models it will be the next big story

I have a 6 plus with a oem lcd and a non oem scree fitted so I cant say ive seen it yet but thats not my phone ive a 6s plus and was also thinking of upgrading to a 8 or a 8 plus but I really do think my minds made up now this will be my last apple device once the warranty and plan runs out purely down to cost issue they (apple) seem hell bent on making it imposable for any one but them to fix there products and that fact alone is why I will buy a smasung next time around also If I break it I am not £300+ at a apple store I can get a screen else where at a fair price

davidmartindale

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2011
PNW, USA

Just get an Apple repair if your screen breaks. The slight (sometimes non existent) increase in price is worth having the iPhone under warranty and guaranteeing you will not have issues like this.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
I hate to be the one to say it, but this is always the risk you run by having a non OEM screen installed. Apple can’t possibly test it’s OS with every single aftermarket screen out there. It’s no different than BMW not supporting aftermarket electronics in its cars when a new software update comes out- not their responsibility to test aftermarket parts with their own OS...

Reactions: davidmartindale
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.