Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lance-a-lot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
My home network is simple. I have a cable modem and wireless router. I have an airport express in client mode hooked to a stereo. I use MacOS and IOS devices to Airplay music to the stereo. I do not need multi-room functionality.

I am worried that I will loose this functionality under Airplay 2. Now that 11.4 beta has been released, does anyone have experience with this kind of setup that can let me know if it is working or not?

How does Airplay 2 work with older devices like the Airport Express?

Thanks.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Why should anything change for you? AirPlay 2 isn't a reworking of the existing technology. It just adds features on-top of it, if all devices in the chain supports the features.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
My home network is simple. I have a cable modem and wireless router. I have an airport express in client mode hooked to a stereo. I use MacOS and IOS devices to Airplay music to the stereo. I do not need multi-room functionality.

I am worried that I will loose this functionality under Airplay 2. Now that 11.4 beta has been released, does anyone have experience with this kind of setup that can let me know if it is working or not?

How does Airplay 2 work with older devices like the Airport Express?

Thanks.
As stated, you will not loose any functionality. Also, AirPlay 2 will only be implemented with compatible devices, of which the Airport Express is not.

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008

This is really, really good news. I wonder what the chances are that Apple would *not* update Airport Express firmware, given that the devices are actually showing up in the Home app? Seems like a slam dunk but Apple has disappointed me before.

The other thing is that there has to be *some* device that will support AirPlay 2 to existing amplifiers. Otherwise Apple has an incomplete Airplay ecosystem. So updating AirPort Express may be the easiest way to fill this gap (rather than releasing new Airport Express hardware, or encouraging third parties to release something).

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
This is really, really good news. I wonder what the chances are that Apple would *not* update Airport Express firmware, given that the devices are actually showing up in the Home app? Seems like a slam dunk but Apple has disappointed me before.

The other thing is that there has to be *some* device that will support AirPlay 2 to existing amplifiers. Otherwise Apple has an incomplete Airplay ecosystem. So updating AirPort Express may be the easiest way to fill this gap (rather than releasing new Airport Express hardware, or encouraging third parties to release something).

Aaaand then this happens: https://www.macrumors.com/2018/04/26/apple-officially-discontinues-airport-wireless-router-lineup/

wtf Apple. No way they're updating the firmware of a discontinued product to support AirPlay 2.

enigmatut

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
MA
I'm also hoping for AirPlay 2 support to be added to the (yes, discontinued) Airport Express.
As of right now, from an iOS device running iOS 11.4 you can still see the AP Express as an available AirPlay speaker, but you can only single-select it unlike AppleTVs and HomePods which you can multi-select via radio buttons next to them.
It would appear this is how devices will distinguish between AirPlay speakers (of which there are many) and those with AirPlay 2 support (of which ... I guess we'll see).

Snatching up priced-to-clear-inventory Airport Expresses may be the cheapest way to add AP2 speakers to rooms (assuming you have speakers with aux inputs laying around, which I do).

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
you can still see the AP Express as an available AirPlay speaker, but you can only single-select it unlike AppleTVs and HomePods which you can multi-select via radio buttons next to them.

This is a bit hard to visualise. Could you post a screenshot?

Kognito

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2011
I'm also hoping for AirPlay 2 support to be added to the (yes, discontinued) Airport Express.
As of right now, from an iOS device running iOS 11.4 you can still see the AP Express as an available AirPlay speaker, but you can only single-select it unlike AppleTVs and HomePods which you can multi-select via radio buttons next to them.
It would appear this is how devices will distinguish between AirPlay speakers (of which there are many) and those with AirPlay 2 support (of which ... I guess we'll see).

Snatching up priced-to-clear-inventory Airport Expresses may be the cheapest way to add AP2 speakers to rooms (assuming you have speakers with aux inputs laying around, which I do).

It won't happen. It's not possible with the hardware the AP Express has.

Don't waste your money with the hope that this might materialise.

lance-a-lot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
So, now that airplay 2 is out on ios 11.4. Can someone tell me if my airport express will still show up and allow me to stream to it over my iphone and ipad under 11.4? I understand that I will not have multi-room functionality with these devices, but I cannot tell from the reports if the express will even show up as an option...
Waiting to upgrade. Or not. Thanks...

Kermetajb

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2016
So, now that airplay 2 is out on ios 11.4. Can someone tell me if my airport express will still show up and allow me to stream to it over my iphone and ipad under 11.4? I understand that I will not have multi-room functionality with these devices, but I cannot tell from the reports if the express will even show up as an option...
Waiting to upgrade. Or not. Thanks...
No issues with airplay 1 on AE devices with 11.4. I have 3 in my house. Feel free to upgrade.

Kermetajb

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2016
Unfortunately no. Their firmware needs to be upgraded and there is no word on if or when that will happen since Apple recently discontinued their entire line of routers. I’m hoping they will in the future though.

anokhatanooki

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2018
Unfortunately no. Their firmware needs to be upgraded and there is no word on if or when that will happen since Apple recently discontinued their entire line of routers. I’m hoping they will in the future though.
Yea me too. I wanted to add AirPlay to a Harmon Kardon speaker I have. But now I’m wondering if I should save my money from buying an Airport Express and save up for another, cheaper HomePod that has Airplay 2 built in.

lance-a-lot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
Confirmed. Updated an iPhone 7 and iPad Pro to 11.4. Same airplay functionality to an airport express as before the update. Shew! Thanks for the help everyone.

Reactions: anokhatanooki

enigmatut

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
MA
This is a bit hard to visualise. Could you post a screenshot?

Sorry for the delay...

IMG_0961.JPG

-with a HomePod and Apple TV multi-selected.

IMG_0960.JPG

-with Airport Express selected, and doing so deselects anything else

Reactions: anokhatanooki

lancemcv1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
This stinks because you can't stream to older airport expresses or older apple tvs via airplay 2 only ATV4 and ATV5 4k home pod etc. To stream to older multiple devices like airport express, older apple tvs etc you have to have itunes running on your computer and the old apple remote app on your iphone. The main issue with this is you can't access apple music with your iphone with the old remote app just your itunes library on your computer so you have to add new music to your library from apple music or itunes before you can stream it and you don't have access to the radio stations or music that is not in your iTunes libraryetc. Where with Airplay 2 you can stream to multiple new devices, home pod, new apple tvs using Apple music on your phone without adding the record to your library plus you can access radio and music not in your library and stream it out to those newer devices. Seems crappy that they did this as I have been waiting a long time for airplay 2 and I am a apple music member, but all my older devices setup all over the house are not compatible with airplay 2 :( You can stream to the older devices one at a time with Airplay 2 just not multiple. Maybe Apple will be nice and come out with a firmware update for the older boxes.

AirPlay 2 system requirements

The following devices support streaming with AirPlay 2.

Devices you can stream from
*iTunes has limited support for playing music to multiple speakers.

Devices you can stream to

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.