Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

simba4

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016
Bulgaria
Seems like messages in the cloud is working for me, it restores all from my 6s in to iphone 8, with all the attachments!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Can’t really figure out what this piece of code does. Let’s remove it and make things faster.
Oops!
If only it was usually as simplistic as that (although in enough cases it certainly is).

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
That’s kind of a bandaid. Warmer charging means there’s a drop in efficiency somehow (more resistance).
[doublepost=1525205269][/doublepost]Public Beta is out.

I find this bandaid pretty useful:D. I use it whenever device gets warm normally after updating, charging, Maps, playing games or apps that required foreground like Power Cycle app.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

WaruiKoohii

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2015
Boston
That’s kind of a bandaid. Warmer charging means there’s a drop in efficiency somehow (more resistance).
[doublepost=1525205269][/doublepost]Public Beta is out.
An update can't change the physical characteristics of the charging circuit (ie, adding resistance), but it can do things like improve charging speed (which can increase the amount of heat generated), or the phone could be doing work in the background while plugged in that's warming the device up.

In this case, since Beta 3 was just released, it's most likely the phone doing some work in the background while the device is charging.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Question for Messages in the cloud testers:

If you have multiple devices that have different amounts of message history, will all the message history be combined and available on all devices?

For example, my iPhone and iPad don't have message history going back very far, but my Macbook Pro has history going back several years. I'm just wondering if Messages in the cloud will finally combine everything.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I find this bandaid pretty useful:D. I use it whenever device gets warm normally after updating, charging, Maps, playing games or apps that required foreground like Power Cycle app.

I’m lazy, lol. Though I am concerned as I primarily use wireless charging these days.
[doublepost=1525206800][/doublepost]
An update can't change the physical characteristics of the charging circuit (ie, adding resistance), but it can do things like improve charging speed (which can increase the amount of heat generated), or the phone could be doing work in the background while plugged in that's warming the device up.

In this case, since Beta 3 was just released, it's most likely the phone doing some work in the background while the device is charging.

I knew it sounded crazy/impossible when I typed it, but I couldn’t figure a better explanation for decreases thermal efficiency.
[doublepost=1525206936][/doublepost]What’s the control center volume bug?

I just opened CC and used the volume buttons and the CC slider did not move. However with the Ringer volume GUI up, if I slid the CC volume slider, the Ringer GUI moved as well.

CrashTestWalrus

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018
Question for Messages in the cloud testers:

If you have multiple devices that have different amounts of message history, will all the message history be combined and available on all devices?

For example, my iPhone and iPad don't have message history going back very far, but my Macbook Pro has history going back several years. I'm just wondering if Messages in the cloud will finally combine everything.

In theory it is supposed to do that. Combine them all into one consolidated database, the one true messages database if you will. In practice? I need the shruggy guy here. It’s been kind of a crapshoot for myself in that regard. Some other people have had more success with it actually working, though.

RPB65

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2017
Am in UK and just installed the public beta. Nice to see 3D touch is repaired, even though they broke it. lol.

CrashTestWalrus

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018
So I just got the beta installed on my iPhone X and iPad Pro and iCloud messages is looking promising now. It’s reporting the sizes accurately it appears. I have 6.5GB of iCloud messages. I’m setting up a test device as new and seeing what actually syncs over. Should be awhile.

dreadlord

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
It is interesting that a lot of long standing iOS 11 bugs are still there. If you look at the build numbers which is "61" builds for iOS 11.4 so far. It is very low number of builds for a point release considering the build numbers of iOS 9.3.2 and iOS 10.3.2 (80 for beta 3).

Some of reported bugs by me are marked as closed now and when I ask which release when I can see the fix, Apple responds as "future dev release in coming months" and some other explicitly said for a Mac bug report "future release macOS 10.4". These are the versions which will be announced at WWDC.

To conclude, I think Apple pushed all effort for polishing and bug fixing to iOS 12 and macOS 10.4, and this confirms the reports. I think all remaining issues of iOS 11 will be fixed in iOS 12 rather than iOS 11.4 or iOS 11.4.1.

This will give Apple at least 3 more months to test bug fixes of iOS 11 bugs.

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
So I just got the beta installed on my iPhone X and iPad Pro and iCloud messages is looking promising now. It’s reporting the sizes accurately it appears. I have 6.5GB of iCloud messages. I’m setting up a test device as new and seeing what actually syncs over. Should be awhile.
Can you tell us if it syncs everything over including messages before the feature was turned on?

simba4

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016
Bulgaria
Double or more, Search results, not fixed!!!
697c0f58bf0b038e321317157d6d0fe2.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.