iOS 11.4 locking port

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by Martyimac, May 16, 2018.

1. Martyimac macrumors 65816

Martyimac

As noted here, https://www.macrumors.com/2018/05/08/ios-11-4-usb-restricted-mode/ as well as other sites,  intends to disable the lighning port if the device is not unlocked or connected to a computer using a passcode.

I personally know of three devices that haven't met the conditions and would be locked. Believe it or not, there are folks that do not use passcodes, there are folks that haven't connected their idevice to a computer for months.

While I understand  wanting to increase security, there should be an option to disable this "security" feature. One option could be to give an option to disable this feature upon installation of 11.4.

IMHO, and only for me,  is pushing me out of the ecosystem step by step. GIVE ME THE OPTION!!!!!

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

You personally know of three devices that have not been unlocked once in the past 7 days? Seems a little odd that you have iOS devices that are going to be iOS 11.4 capable just sitting around for 7+ days at a time without entering in your passcode.

3. chabig macrumors 601

And nothing will change for you. If you don't have a passcode set, those devices will continue to work normally for you. The only "restriction" that'll be added is that your Lightning port will be secured, so nobody can get to the data on your device through that port.

4. Martyimac thread starter macrumors 65816

Martyimac

And you know this how? Are you Craig Federighi and have finalized 11.4?
    --- Post Merged, May 16, 2018 ---
    I didn't say they were mine, wrong assumption #1. The three are my sons phone, my wifes iPad and an SE currently being used as an iPod type device that has no reason to have a passcode or connect to a computer.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

First off, when you say #1, you are supposed to follow it up with a second point at minimum, otherwise your listing is pointless and irrelevant.

Second, I didn't make an assumption, I used your own language. "I personally know of". I never said they were YOUR devices personally. I was speaking generically in response to the devices that you know of. Because it is very odd, that newer iOS devices are just sitting around and not being touched. I have 2 older iPhones that I use as iPod Touches, neither of which go more than 7 days without being unlocked.

Third, it seems quite interesting that you said 3 devices, now its 5 devices. I find it incredibly strange that these devices are never unlocked past the lock screen, regardless if you have a passcode or not.

Lastly, as chabig stated, this applies directly to devices that have passcodes. If you do not have a passcode or never use a computer to sync, then there is no way to force this restriction. iOS devices no longer need computers, and many use iPads as replacement to laptops. Requiring you to sync to a computer that you don't have would be ridiculous.

Being rude to chabig and myself is unacceptable when you are posting here. We have every right to respond to your post and asking if chabig is Craig and have finalized 11.4 is asinine. If you are not willing to accept other people's responses, then maybe you shouldn't be posting.

I am without a doubt going to take a slight inconvenience of unlocking my older devices once a week than to prevent someone gaining unauthorized access to my devices.

6. Martyimac thread starter macrumors 65816

Martyimac

I have not been rude to either you or chabig. His statement was definitive there for I asked him to assure us that he was in fact Craig because ONLY Craig will know the facts of the matter at this point in time. If he does not then his post is nothing more than an opinion since 11.4 is still in beta, nothing more nothing less.
    As for your post, sorry if i don't follow YOUR conventions on using assumptions. Thanks to the English language there are enough ambiguities that my usage is perfectly acceptable. Well, maybe not to you.
    As to it being "incredibly strange" that the devices have never been unlocked past the lock screen, there was assumption #2. None of those 3 listed devices have a lock enabled, therefore there is no "lock screen" and no need to "unlock" them.

All I did was post an opinion. You and chabig came in and posted definitive statements (chabig) or questioned those devices not being locked (you). My post was made to point out that there are devices out there that are not locked and never connect to a computer. If, in fact, the "lock" doesn't exist unless a device is locked, then those devices should be okay. But knowing , I sincerely doubt that will be the case.

7. chabig macrumors 601

First, I am not Craig Federighi. But I did read the linked article, which is of course a rumor. So it could be said that I am no more knowledgeable than you, yet you seem intent of behaving as though you’re somehow “screwed” when the article (if correct) suggests nothing of the sort. If you never connect to a computer then you’ll suffer nothing from this USB Restricted Mode mode other than enhanced security.

8. Martyimac, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018

Martyimac thread starter macrumors 65816

Martyimac

Thanks, that wasn't the way I read it. I will read it again with a different mindset and maybe understand it the way you do.

UPDATED INFO
    Having read the article again, this is the part I have issues with - "At this point, it is still unclear whether the USB port is blocked if the device has not been unlocked with a passcode for 7 consecutive days; if the device has not been unlocked at all (password or biometrics); or if the device has not been unlocked or connected to a trusted USB device or computer. In our test, we were able to confirm the USB lock after the device has been left idle for 7 days. During this period, we have not tried to unlock the device with Touch ID or connect it to a paired USB device. What we do know, however, is that after the 7 days the Lightning port is only good for charging."

So I stand by my original post.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

That all still seems to be in the context of some sort of security being used (passcode/password/Touch ID/etc.). It doesn't appear to indicate anything in relation to a device that doesn't use any security--after all, locking things from working on those devices wouldn't really matter as the devices themselves wouldn't be locked with some security and can be accessed and used by anyone without anything.

10. Martyimac thread starter macrumors 65816

Martyimac

I understand what you are saying. But I have seen  pull some things out of the hat that fool everyone. My first point basically says I am not upgrading to 11.4 if there is no option to opt out of this "security feature". I think it feels half baked at this point.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, while we'd probably need some more confirmation about it, if the feature actually comes out, but it seems like the scenarios you brought up wouldn't be affected by it one way or another.

12. Martyimac thread starter macrumors 65816

Martyimac

Fingers crossed, that would satisfy my "opt out option".

13. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Irrelevant for me. I usually go a month without connecting to my computer and when I connect it always asks “do you want to trust this computer” and I have to put my passcode.

I’m all for stopping these hacking boxes.

14. brilliantthings macrumors 6502

I have 2. An iPad and an iPod I use only every few weeks for work.

It might seem a little odd but that's how I use them.

15. 960design macrumors 68020

I am not Craig. This is all I know:

USB Restricted Mode
    When this restriction is enabled, devices will always be able to connect to USB accessories when locked (iOS 11.3 or higher).

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Both of which can run iOS 11?

17. brilliantthings macrumors 6502

Yep

18. Ferc Kast macrumors regular

Ferc Kast

That wording does seem to suggest that it'll be opt-in, so OP should be fine.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, it's not even just that, but that it wouldn't really make sense for a restriction like that to even apply to devices that aren't locked by a passcode/password/Touch ID/Face ID/etc. in any case (given that the devices can be accessed anyway without any authentication).

20. quynhtrang macrumors newbie

I don't have passcode locks on my iPads. I don't like it that my passwords are accessible without the lock. It's just plain stupid of Apple to all or none in regard to security.

21. Martyimac thread starter macrumors 65816

Martyimac

Is the USB lockout an opt in or out setting or is it even included in 11.4?

22. Banglazed, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018

Banglazed macrumors 65816

Banglazed

It’s a built in as a security feature in iOS. Need no user input. It’s enabled by default.

23. Martyimac thread starter macrumors 65816

Martyimac

Thanks, since I don't really understand the full ramifications of that, I am not going to 11.4

24. mattguy10 macrumors 6502

mattguy10

It’s not as bad as it sounds. Basically if you don’t unlock your phone with a passcode or biometrics (Touch ID or Face ID) for seven consecutive days, the data connection (Can’t connect USB accessories/no iTunes sync) to the lightning port becomes disabled automatically and only charging will be available. Once you enter your passcode, the data connection is restored and the lightning port will work as it always has. This was implemented by Apple as an additional security measure to protect the owner of the iOS device.

Read through this to help you better understand USB Restricted Mode and to feel more comfortable updating to 11.4:

https://blog.elcomsoft.com/2018/05...er-7-days-what-it-means-for-mobile-forensics/

Of course none of this matters if you don’t passcode lock your iOS device(s).

25. Funsize93 macrumors newbie

Funsize93

Continuing what was said above:

In the event where you forget your passcode or the device becomes disabled. The process is still all the same (before 11.4), you will need to restore the device using recovery mode whilst connected to iTunes.