iOS 11 Beta 4 + Watch OS4 Beta 3 = battery drain?

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I had PB3 installed on my iPhone 7+ with Watch OS 4 Beta 3 on my Apple watch and everything seemed ok.

Did a DFU restore to iOS 11 Dev Beta 4 and ever since than my iPhone battery life has taken a big dive.

• iPhone battery @ 50% overnight, not plugged in
  • Wake up to dead iPhone
  • Unpair Apple watch, repeat the same process, battery @ 46-47% in the morning.
Not sure why this issue exists on a NEW setup (both iPhone and Apple watch) of Dev and yet it was working fine on PB3.

Update: restoring PB3 and going to repair Apple Watch and run the same test again overnight to see what it does.

Update 2: So far with PB3 (restored dev 4 backup) I have not seen any battery drain issues.

Last edited:

dannyyankou

macrumors G3
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
That’s strange, battery has significantly improved for me for both the watch and iPhone. Hopefully beta 5 fixes the issues you had in beta 4.

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
That’s strange, battery has significantly improved for me for both the watch and iPhone. Hopefully beta 5 fixes the issues you had in beta 4.
Are you running Watch OS Beta 3 as well?

Until Beta 5 I'm just wearing my regular watch :)

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Oh no, my watch is on beta 4. Didn’t realize your phone was on beta 4 and your watch was on beta 3.
hmm, now you have me 2nd guessing what beta my watch is on. I'll have to check when I get home. Could have sworn when I checked for an update on the watch there wasn't one.

ck2875

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
thanks for the insight.
If it doesn't show up, check that the profile is still installed on the Watch. I recall some people saying it had been auto-deleted after updating to Beta 3 and they needed to reinstall it to see Beta 4.

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
Watch battery significantly improved for me starting from Beta 3 and now 4. Beta 2 was a nightmare.

Actually the whole process of installing betas on the watch is a nightmare.

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Watch battery significantly improved for me starting from Beta 3 and now 4. Beta 2 was a nightmare.

Actually the whole process of installing betas on the watch is a nightmare.
It was so strange. All was fine on PB3 and I wanted to get updates faster so I DFU restored to Beta 4 and the nightmare started. I was
Yeah, they released a beta 4 last week
Brilliant. Thanks. The beta profile on my Apple watch somehow got removed so I re-added it and downloaded the new beta. Battery life is normal now so I'm happy.

dannyyankou

macrumors G3
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Brilliant. Thanks. The beta profile on my Apple watch somehow got removed so I re-added it and downloaded the new beta. Battery life is normal now so I'm happy.
You’re welcome. I think the profile got removed when you did a dfu restore to iOS 11 beta 4. You always have to add it again after doing that I think.