Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Anyone else experiencing a higher data usage on iOS 11?

I didn’t start getting warnings until I switched over.

I never used to hit 30gb
My data usage remains the same during all betas. If there is anything wrong, then that is my fault.
My Music app still always shuffles all songs when listening to any album or playlist on my 7+. I'm starting to think it will never be fixed...
I use local library and find no problem playing music when shuffle is off.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Anyone else experiencing a higher data usage on iOS 11?

I didn’t start getting warnings until I switched over.

I never used to hit 30gb

Yes on my iPad I’m uploading about 40gb or more per month over WiFi since installing iOS 11 beta. That is with analytics off, iCloud off and no other cloud / uploading of data. There is almost constant upstream activity.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The difference in storage capacity is not just because of the OS taking the space, but because one measurement is made with a base 10 system (where 1GB=1000MB, manufacturers use this usually) and the other is made in a binary or base 2 system (1GB=1024MB). The math is not actually that correct because the measure is in bytes, but that’s the general idea.
Actually, in recent Mac OS X, apple changes the way capacity is calculated to 1024MB=1GB style, resulting seemingly larger available space on your device. I bet iOS 11 is configured to stay in line with this change.

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
They actually removed baked-in Twitter and Facebook integration from iOS in iOS 11. You’ll still see extensions in the share sheet as always, but you won’t see the Settings anymore as accounts have been dropped.

Is it a case of logging out and back in to my twitter accounts to get them to work again (for sharing)?

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
After a few days of running this I have to say:
- Battery life is really good compared to past betas
- Performance is really smooth
BUT
- Way more UI „deaths“: Status bar has the bluetooth headphone icon stuck, lock screen music widget regulary dies on me + CC sliders
- WAY MORE lock ups. Not a single springboard reboot yet but my phone locks up for 30s-1m randomly and apps stop functioning (I launch messages and it‘s frozen, killing it doesn‘t work or hardware buttons stop responding).

Thankfully it‘s never happened when I relied on my phone for something, I hope the next beta resolves all of these issues. I, of course, send feedback reports with log files whenever a hard lock occurs (or any other issue).

Reactions: pedrowerner

LosLoco

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
This is the first of the iOS 11 betas, I've installed, and so far, I've had these experiences (iPhone 7plus, 256gb):

- Battery life is excellent - at least on par with 10.3.3, maybe even a bit better with my use
- A few resprings has happened, mostly with apps using large files (Røde Recorder has been the cause of a respring twice when handling files that were large - 1gb+)
- I've had a single reboot happen (not a respring). This happened while using data sharing to my MacBook Pro and getting a call. I had a call more a bit later, no problem. Logged it with Apple though
- A bit of lag sometimes, most noticeable when exiting multitask and trying to swipe on the homescreen, but nothing too concerning.
- 3rd party keyboard is still a mess (as it's always been). It will frequently reset to stock keyboard, and sometimes even won't change back by just pressing the globe. But as said, I had this on iOS10 and 9 too, so...

Sharkoneau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2017
Michigan
Is it a case of logging out and back in to my twitter accounts to get them to work again (for sharing)?
Well ideally now, as I understand it, you’ll want to have the app downloaded and be logged into it. From there, anything you attempt to post/message can be shared via iOS’ share sheet.

FrisbeeK9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
Siri disappeared. “Hey Sir” is on, both Watch and iPhone don’t respond. Any help appreciated. Yes all settings are on. I’ve rebooted. Haven’t t un-paired and re-pairs Watch yet but phone should at least work. Any ideas? Beta iOS 11 v.7 Apple Watch OS 4 latest.

Zalewskon

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2016
I dont know about you guys, but im pretty sure my iphone 7 on this beta has problems with wifi connection. I mean when Im away from home I usually turn off wifi and working only on lte. Since beta 7, wifi can turn on again by itself. It could be only me forgetting to turn it off but as I said I was surprised a few times by now, Im a bit confused. Anyone same experience?

yeah3x

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
I dont know about you guys, but im pretty sure my iphone 7 on this beta has problems with wifi connection. I mean when Im away from home I usually turn off wifi and working only on lte. Since beta 7, wifi can turn on again by itself. It could be only me forgetting to turn it off but as I said I was surprised a few times by now, Im a bit confused. Anyone same experience?

If you turn it off from the control center, iOS 11 only temporarily disables it or something to that effect. To turn it off fully you have to turn it off in the settings menu.

So I am encountering an issue I don't see anyone posting about in this thread. Tried a search and don't see it being an issue, but I cannot change my ringer volume. The volume buttons on the side of my phone will only change the volume. I tried adjusting with all my apps closed, after a restart, etc and nothing. Headphones work fine, my speakers play things and the volume changes for media volume, but I cannot figure out this ringer issue. Anyone else run into this or have a fix? It's not the issue where the phone thinks headphones are plugged in and the speaker doesn't output anything because I can output volume from the phone's speaker.

Reactions: Zalewskon

Hype-149

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
This is the first of the iOS 11 betas, I've installed, and so far, I've had these experiences (iPhone 7plus, 256gb):

- Battery life is excellent - at least on par with 10.3.3, maybe even a bit better with my use
- A few resprings has happened, mostly with apps using large files (Røde Recorder has been the cause of a respring twice when handling files that were large - 1gb+)
- I've had a single reboot happen (not a respring). This happened while using data sharing to my MacBook Pro and getting a call. I had a call more a bit later, no problem. Logged it with Apple though
- A bit of lag sometimes, most noticeable when exiting multitask and trying to swipe on the homescreen, but nothing too concerning.
- 3rd party keyboard is still a mess (as it's always been). It will frequently reset to stock keyboard, and sometimes even won't change back by just pressing the globe. But as said, I had this on iOS10 and 9 too, so...

Odd, my battery life on this beta is worse then the previous

I've had re-springs with Google Maps, for some reason this better it doesn't like it.

Zalewskon

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2016
If you turn it off from the control center, iOS 11 only temporarily disables it or something to that effect. To turn it off fully you have to turn it off in the settings

Omg, that is really stupid option. I can’t even imagine when would I use that feature... anyway thanks for your help

Relax.wealthy.enchant

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2017
Anyone having issue activating iMessage? I don’t use a SIM in my iPhone (basically just use it like an iPod) but never had trouble activating iMessage before.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
So I am encountering an issue I don't see anyone posting about in this thread. Tried a search and don't see it being an issue, but I cannot change my ringer volume. The volume buttons on the side of my phone will only change the volume. I tried adjusting with all my apps closed, after a restart, etc and nothing. Headphones work fine, my speakers play things and the volume changes for media volume, but I cannot figure out this ringer issue. Anyone else run into this or have a fix? It's not the issue where the phone thinks headphones are plugged in and the speaker doesn't output anything because I can output volume from the phone's speaker.

Settings > Sounds & Haptics > Ringers & Alerts

Below the volume slider, there's a switch to allow you to change ringer volume with the volume control buttons (Change with Buttons)... make sure that is ON.

Reactions: yeah3x

madara889

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2015
It's working really well for me. Battery life and Geek Bench scores similar to when my 10.5" IPP was running iOS 10.3.3.

YMMV, but I'd give it a shot.

Is scrolling through the multitasking app switcher smoother than 10.3 !!

dmnc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
Actually, in recent Mac OS X, apple changes the way capacity is calculated to 1024MB=1GB style, resulting seemingly larger available space on your device. I bet iOS 11 is configured to stay in line with this change.
Are you sure? I recently moved to Windows so I can’t check but for me all the file sizes are different because of that. The last version of OS X that I used was Sierra, so it was quite recently

alecc131

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2013
Has Significant Locations stopped updating for anyone else in beta 7?

I’m asking because Significant Locations worked perfect for awhile, but stopped updating locations earlier this week. Hasn’t worked in last five days.

syphix924

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
Can't complain about that battery life. iPhone 7, iOS 11 beta 7.
6d5e1afff84fb19f28326cd26a43ac48.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.