Auto iOS 11 CarPlay

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by randomplaydo, Jun 27, 2017.

1. randomplaydo macrumors member

Hey guys, I installed the iOS 11 beta last night right before I had to go out in the car and I noticed some differences.

1. It's a whole lot smoother. Like, way smoother than the official iOS 10.3 or any of the betas leading up to it. App switching is much faster and smoother. No jitters or stutters.

2. Maps has changed for the better (in my opinion). There's now a static light gray window on the bottom left that shows distance, ETA and something else (can't remember right now). The top left now shows your next direction/distance until turn in a big bold text. That's also where you tap to turn nav on or off. It also zooms in and out of 3d a little more often to coincide with a long distance before the next turn.

I don't know if they reenabled night mode because I just wasn't out that late.

3. The podcasts app now has a 'discover' section that matches the iOS app and the apple tv app (on a limited basis, I guess to keep you from scrolling forever).

4. I had a bug in the music app where the "today's albums" instead showed playlists, today's playlists showed today's albums, and "new music" would crash the app. Plus the albums and playlists wouldn't even match what was on my phone. All of this is now fixed.

5. When texting, siri takes a whole lot longer now because it's now announcing the person's full name, pausing more, and says something like "this is what you just said" before repeating back your dictation. It's kind of annoying and I can see how this will quickly become problematic if you text a lot while driving.

Also, the text on the sms screen is clearer (as is on the phone screen).

Oh, and the switch from signal strength dots to bars carried over to the CarPlay display. That's all I noticed from using it for a little while yesterday.

2. Ralfi macrumors 6502a

Ralfi

Thanks. Good to see they've finally caught on that ETA/Distance are essential numbers on a GPS screen at ALL times & given them permanent portion of the screen.

If they want to improve on it again, allow Google Maps :D

3. The Martian macrumors regular

The Martian

Or Waze! (which I know is now owned by Google)

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

3. ...and multi lane guidance is a fantastic upgrade. Plus the road's speed limit too. Night mode is enabled.

5. harlenmm77 macrumors 6502

I’ve had plenty of crashes using navigation with public beta 3. Now that I have 4, hopefully that stops.

6. Vasilioskn macrumors regular

Vasilioskn

Oh gross! When did they buy them? Is that why I see ads for Dunkin' Donuts everywhere now

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Welcome to 2013.

8. rdinterman macrumors member

rdinterman

I have an issue with my Alpine ilx-107 where there is not audio for Maps navigation. The playing audio lower or stops, but there is no voice. This is a recent install, so I have only used iOS11 since install. Tried a bunch of settings. No avail.

9. randomplaydo thread starter macrumors member

How did you get night mode? I still don't have that happening for me and I can't find an option in settings.

10. Vel macrumors member

I've only used this with iOS11, but in my car the night mode appears to be integrated with the auto headlights in my car, so if the lights come on maps switches to night mode and if they turn off, the unit goes back to the regular mode.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Not sure how but it seems to be automatic. Also not CarPlay (or car/headlights triggered) specific since here is a screenshot of it on just the iPhone.

IMG_3282.jpg IMG_2936.jpg

12. harlenmm77 macrumors 6502

My car switches to dark mode when the lights come on, I believe.

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

....and how does it know this when it's not plugged into CarPlay and is just the iPhone? See my 2ed pic above.

14. harlenmm77 macrumors 6502

If you are just using navigation on the phone, it goes by current time compared to sunset time, I believe.

15. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Boy do I know that location - was there hundreds of time on business - brought back great memories
    --- Post Merged, Aug 17, 2017 ---
    I have a carplay maps issue - when I just use it as a map - no directions - it stops tracking where I am. It seems to happen when I stop at a light. Then I pick up I realize the map hasn't moved and there is no location icon. I have to go into the top area and press the Arrow symbol to get it started again. Anyone else having this?
    Thanks

16. harlenmm77 macrumors 6502

Tested it. It’s controlled by my cars ambient light sensor. Throw a towel over it and the screen goes instantly into night mode. It also forces the phone into night mode.

17. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Tested today on my car - 2017 VW goes into night mode when headlights are turned on

18. invisiblegt macrumors member

Perhaps someone here could answer this for me. When I get into the car, and select Maps, it brings up a standard location (say, "home"), and, from here, I can long press to either use Guidance or ETA. How can I access this when I select a different location? When I search for a different location, I can only figure out how to do Guidance. Often, I prefer just the ETA.

19. randomplaydo thread starter macrumors member

OK, maybe mine isn't working automatically because I have an aftermarket radio in an older car. So I have no ambient light sensors in it at all.

20. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Did a little test too and it DOES work of the ambient sensor in my car and probably headlights on/dash lights dimmer on others that don't have auto headlights.

randomplaydo: You should have the dash lights dimmer wire hooked to your aftermarket so it knows when the headlights are on (usually yellow). If not it should probably default to the iPhone's Night Mode.

The iPhone automatically does Night Mode too and not sure what the trigger is. Some have said sunset/sunrise which could be and probably is the case. Oddly this changes everyday and will also very if your location changes (latitude and/or longitude). Of course this is all known and calculated by the iPhone.

21. sdlevi27 macrumors regular

Which 2017 VW do you have? I updated to iOS 11b8 last night and bluetooth and carplay are now broken in my 2017 VW Golf.

22. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I read about it being broken - not running IOS 11 beta - but it worried me. I have a Jetta. Be eager to hear updates from you on this problem

23. harlenmm77 macrumors 6502

24. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Omg yes I wish they would just allow google maps. I've been using google maps and waze with android auto and it's great but android auto is much clunkier than CarPlay and just doesn't look as nice