Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Same ICONS, Same design. Ability to save Application data separate from full backups.

that's already in there. it's up to the developer to do it.
[doublepost=1487020396][/doublepost]my old list would be the length of an article but a few highlights

photos app. ability to fully hide photos. in all views. and to select which photos sync to iCloud photo library (even if its just hidden albums don't sync). with a password. ability to add keywords, manual locations and faces (including marking what is a face if it was missed by the system). plug in support for folks to be able to create filters etc without having to do a whole app. or at least actively encourage developers to add in the seamless support Apple was hawking back in iOS 8. animated gif viewing support.

Contacts. ability to create groups and move contacts between them. merging of data cards being able to use those groups in Messages, Mail etc

switch language support, fonts etc to downloaded items which can be accessed by all apps. reduces bloat for light users who don't speak 50 languages and would allow for more fonts

plug in support in apps like iMovie, pages, numbers and keynote. not only would this theoretically enable the aforementioned font support it would also open up more templates. and reduce bloat by letting folks remove the ones they don't use. plus with more students using iPads and 'iwork' it is insane that there's no support for things like MathType and Endnotes.

massive improvements to Siri including better language recognization.

email filtering on device

saved restrictions mode. despite what folks say, its unlikely that tons and tons of folks are sharing one device with everyone in the family. so multiuser is not really that needed. BUT many parents potentially had their iPhone to Junior a lot. turning on restrictions and having to flip switches for five minutes is a pain in the ass. what would be better would be the ability to save restrictions, perhaps even a couple of sets. even better would be if that saved set could be tied to a particular fingerprint/passcode combo. Junior sticks his thumb on sensor and gets restricted mode. Mom does it and gets everything. seamlessly.

better restrictions mode. all apps including 3rd party. restrictions within apps based on ratings, etc. in Mac OS one can allow email, messages etc but only to and from a pre approved list. why not also on iOS. MacOS has a way better whitelist/blacklist system for Safari. and here's a big one. Mac OS has the ability to restrict logging in for certain times of day or more than X amount of time.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
iOS 11 needs every single one of these features...

I could not disagree more. much of these ideas, in my opinion, aren't really needed, just one guys pet peeves. and many have zero case made for why they would be so important that they are a NEED, rather than just a want

lets break down his list

• We don't NEED a new Homescreen or animated icons. sure some folks want it but its not a need. the point of the home screen is to get you to the app you need and it does the job just fine
  • Dark Mode. "it just looks so good" is not a justification for saying we NEED it. sorry but its not.
  • The whole thing with the volume is just his pet peeve. yes some folks share it but its hardly universal. NEEDS should be things that potentially benefit all. and it doesn't help the argument to point out that apps can actually remove this 'annoyance' so really the only place you see the big ass pop up is the home screen and apps that couldn't be bothered to do the proper coding
  • "Android can do it" as justification for saying that iPhones had to get split screen etc. another poor justification.
  • Picture in Picture "I think it would be really cool." again a poor justification for saying that everyone NEEDS this.
  • locking individual apps. poorly justified saying merely "we need this" but it is something that is perhaps needed, as part of the whole restrictions thing.
  • he doesn't like the way they handle one handed access on the home screen but presents an alt method that isn't all that better
  • low power mode and cell data off. zero argument made for these although yes they could be very useful. unlimited control center screens is not really a NEED but hey if it shuts the geeks up, there's no likely harm so give them one.
  • wifi/bluetooth access via 3d touch. okay there's a feature that would be potentially universally useful. especially now that we are getting to the point of all major iPhone models having 3D touch.
  • Default apps. this little demand is only that is only a NEED for the uber geek types that should probably have switched to Android with its super flexibility years ago. it's not really a NEED and lets face it, its not likely to ever happen. give it a freaking rest. or if its that big of a bug up your butt, create a jailbreak hack and enjoy
  • clearing 3rd party app caches is already something they can do, if they choose to add the code. if they don't that's on them. adding the option for them to make a 3rd touch item if they have put in the full code would be a nice add on.
  • New wallpapers. it's called downloading or taking whatever photos you want. demanding Apple do it is just laziness
  • adding a 'clear the app switcher' cause you have a personal issue with having a 'clean' switch is not a NEED for all.
  • recognizing and playing gifs. okay this could be handy. probably not really a NEED for all since many folks probably have no clue what an animated gif is anyway. but for those use them, at least having them tag like video, panoramas etc do to go into a smart album would be a nice touch, playback would be even nicer.
  • changing camera settings from within the camera. Finally something that would be truly universally useful enough to call it a NEED. and it only took him 6 and a half minutes to get there.
  • bring back "slide to unlock" as an option. i love that his logic is 'it would be nice to have that classic touch' which he was dissing the UI as old and outdated at the start of the video.
  • being able to put icons wherever you want "just like Android" is not a NEED. it's geek BS that can be flogged with a jailbreak. have at it.
  • dude organizing the cell data switches about amount used is stupid it's going to change which is going to make it a headache to find a particular app. by name is logical.
  • "another feature that Android has" is not justification for demanding that Apple add something. seriously. if you love Android so much, go use freaking Android. As for the whole clipboard. here's a thought. if you copy something you actually think you will want to repeated paste, put it in notes. heck create a big ass one called "clipboard" and enjoy. but i bet that 99.9% of users will never put anything in it
  • group FaceTime. not really a NEED but it would be fun.
  • native RAW support. nope not really a need and it would be a bitch for them to deal with cause RAW takes up way more space and they still have folks on their asses about iPhone storage sizes and costs. most folks aren't going to be happy until we get a 5TB phone that sells for $299.
  • An App Drawer? seriously. anyone that wants to not flip screens uses the folders that have been there for ages. Now if you wanna talk about how folders are limited to a 3 by 3 grid on larger devices like iPads, sure that's a fair point. but saying we need to add a new mechanic for organizing apps is laughable.
  • opening up bluetooth file transfer and NFC is a security concern. not likely to ever happen.
  • OMG there is no native calculator on an iPad. download one of the 100 free apps. heck they could probably remove it and many of those other stock apps from the iPhones and most folks would never notice.

mark-vdw

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2013
One more: better family sharing. My wife and I both have an iPhone and we want:
- Fully shared: Photo Library, Movies, Music, Books, App purchases, Find my iPhone / Find My friends
- Partially shared: Notes, Contacts, Calendar, iCloud Drive
- Fully seperate: Mail, Phone history, FaceTime, game progress, Universal Clipboard, ...

Right now, setting this up is a nightmare, in spite of a dozen "how to configure your iTunes accounts as family" guides on the net. It got a bit better when they allowed purchase sharing between 2 accounts tied to the same credit card, but still a long way to go.

What I especially don't understand is that if Apple made this one really transparent and easy, it would basically tie entire families into their eco-system instead of individuals, so it would make quite some business sense for them as well.

Reactions: Jaakkol9

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Hmm? I think I need something that is a respect to users having no interest to online service and streaming. Guess what? I only stream when I watch YouTube video. Heck, I plan to download all of those I really like for OFFLINE view.
When internet is down, only offline content is the king. Also, even if it is not down, high mobile data cost is also a huge burden to use streaming services. God helps us to get 100GB of mobile data per month with just $49.

[doublepost=1487078900][/doublepost]
the imessages and the cellphone app
Imessge maybe. But never the message app, which is what it looks like right now. Same for phone app. iPhone is basically a phone. Both would never be merged together completely.
I wish notifications were grouped and based on the app,
This WAS the case in iOS 9. Don't know what the heck Apple think to remove that feature.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I just want that horrible TV App gone and Videos App back. I can't stand the TV App

I'd accept a TV app that works and works as well as the Video app - they don't have to bring old back. If there is some link also to the Apple TV then that should be a separate app

ISRMafia

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2016
Israel
-Control Center with 3D touchable upper row.
-Offline Siri for system wide commands.
-System wide dark mode.
-bicycle directions in maps.
-much more intelligent siri

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Control of the Home Button - The iPhone 7 has set this up perfectly. Give some more options regarding the home button. Double tap for Notification Center, or add in home button swipes. Would make sense too if a "touch bar" ever gets added.

Cards - The Card UI is the best evolution of the post-iOS 7 design language so far. They're super beautiful in Maps and Music. Put those in more places.

Steal Windows 10's Scrapped "People" Feature - Take the Windows 10 "people" feature and integrate it into iOS and macOS. Either as it's own app, merging Contacts and Messages, or by integrating it into Contacts. Quick iMessaging and easy file sharing (something like AirDrop but not based on being nearby).

Build Apple Support in - This app can be really handy. Either bundle it, or integrate it into the Apple ID section of settings.

Manual Camera Controls - Build in a "Manual" mode in the stock camera. One less app you need to download.

Smarter Reminders - Cortana on Windows 10 is AMAZING at Reminders. It can attach them to calendar events, documents, even phone calls. Copy that. Specifically phone calls.

Swipe to Type Keyboard - Integrate Swipe typing functionality on the QuickType keyboard. A major bonus for iPhone Plus users.

Picture-in-Picture on iPhone Plus - The other devices are pretty small, but the Plus is just big enough that it could still be comfortable to use with PIP.

Extend SiriKit - Allow SiriKit to interact with apps that make purchases and deliveries (Ex. "Order a Pepperoni Pizza from Papa Johns"), Cloud storage services (Ex. "Show me word documents about cars in OneDrive"), Reminders (Ex. "Set a Reminder in Cortana to call mom"), Notes (Ex. Make a Note in Google Keep"), and finally, allow Siri to access apps that keep track of grades! (Ex. "What's my current grade in Biology?").

Emojis - MORE.

Streamline Messenger Apps - Make them more prevalent. Separate stickers and apps. Make stickers easier to access.

Bundled Notifications - instead of 600 Messenger notifications from a group chat, make all of those messages bundled into a collapsible list in Notification Center.

Allow SMS Access - Allow third party apps to send and receive SMS messages. Not everyone uses iMessage, but rather they choose to use Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp. Allow these developers to pull in local SMS messages for unified messaging.

SOS and Panic Modes - Allow for an SOS mode (say if you've fallen or in a situation where you need help now), but also offer a silent panic mode, which calls 911 but mutes the device and locks the phone screen. Make it idiot proof, of course.

Reactions: Costee

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Lots of good ideas. I have one main thing I want to see (and I apologize if I missed it skimming through the suggestions above): I want Photos to be handled in the cloud the same way Google does it. No matter how many you have, they don't use your phone's memory (or you can select the total memory they *can* use) and deleting a photo from your phone or other iOS device, does not delete the photo from the cloud or any other iOS device, unless you want it to.

I can't use Photos on iOS because I have tens of thousands of photos (many from my DSLR) and even the thumbnails use too much room on my phone.

m0nkeyb0y

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
I want
  • multi-user support, like Shared ipad (I suppose, haven't used it) but for home users.
  • Per-account parental control over wifi and dns settings.

mark-vdw

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2013
Lots of good ideas. I have one main thing I want to see (and I apologize if I missed it skimming through the suggestions above): I want Photos to be handled in the cloud the same way Google does it. No matter how many you have, they don't use your phone's memory (or you can select the total memory they *can* use) and deleting a photo from your phone or other iOS device, does not delete the photo from the cloud or any other iOS device, unless you want it to.

I can't use Photos on iOS because I have tens of thousands of photos (many from my DSLR) and even the thumbnails use too much room on my phone.
Really? Even with iCloud Photo Library and "Optimize Storage" turned on?

I have around 20k photos in my library, and it was running fine on a 32GB phone. I'm not sure how many of the thumbnails it kept local, but really those are so small that it shouldn't be much of an issue: at around 5kb for a thumbnail, storing 100.000 of them takes 0.5 GB. If your phone doesn't have that much available, you have other problems :)

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
More Pro features for the iPad Pro - annotating within apps like safari, mail and so on, also being able to take a note on the screen quickly would be nice (without having to go into an app or even open the home screen using Touch ID)

For iPhone i think Apple Pencil support could be nice (not 100% sure tho) on the bigger screen iPhone only (5.5")

3D Touch on the iPad Pro

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Really? Even with iCloud Photo Library and "Optimize Storage" turned on?

I have around 20k photos in my library, and it was running fine on a 32GB phone. I'm not sure how many of the thumbnails it kept local, but really those are so small that it shouldn't be much of an issue: at around 5kb for a thumbnail, storing 100.000 of them takes 0.5 GB. If your phone doesn't have that much available, you have other problems :)
I have other problems!

(45K photos and a 16GB work-issued phone)

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
Can I just have the iOS Mail app developed so it integrates properly with the GMail API in the same way that almost every 3rd party email app does. Is that too much to ask? Really?

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
More Pro features for the iPad Pro - annotating within apps like safari, mail and so on, also being able to take a note on the screen quickly would be nice (without having to go into an app or even open the home screen using Touch ID)

For iPhone i think Apple Pencil support could be nice (not 100% sure tho) on the bigger screen iPhone only (5.5")

3D Touch on the iPad Pro

The Pencil is so large that it would be impractical. Also, the iPad Pro is probably too large to implement 3D Touch, because the taptic engine is so small.

Can I just have the iOS Mail app developed so it integrates properly with the GMail API in the same way that almost every 3rd party email app does. Is that too much to ask? Really?

That's basically on Google disabling that some time ago.

There was a gmail push API that was given by Google back in 2015, but Apple would never use it, because then they're relying on Google's non-standard code.

The reason it was removed in the first place is because Google removed ActiveSync support (which, while being Microsoft technology, is an industry standard). It's one of the reasons I switched to Outlook.com (though pretty much every other email provider other than gmail offers native AS support now).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.