Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I haven’t tried any betas but just installed the GM. I feel that my battery is draining faster too. I updated mine before going to bed, so all the indexing should have been done during the night while on the charger. I have a 6s.
Same issue here, though I can't tell if it's getting better. 6s on the GM, and sometimes while looking at email or some texts I'll drop multiple % at a time. It was way more noticeable on the first day, but I'm still getting some big drops when I use the device heavily.

Right now I've got the following statistics on day two of the GM:
Usage: 3 hr, 44 min
Standby: 9 hr, 3 min
Battery at 47%

xeio

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
for everybody who have problems with the battery drain. turn off the location service from the app store. thats a bug in ios 11 that lets drain your battery. turn it off and battery should be fine

SackboyDad

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
Oh yes, I have noticed that toggling airplane mode doesnt turn OFF all communicactions, only cellular. I have reported it as a bug but i dont really know it its normal behavior. However, I do use wifi, and when NOT using I manually turn it off.

That's actually a feature of iOS 11 and one of my favorite. On the rare occasion that I actually go into airplane mode on an airplane (who actually does?) I used to HATE it that pressing airplane mode would cut off my bluetooth headphones and Apple Watch. Now all it does it cut off cellular communications -- which is perfect!

Reactions: Agent2015

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
You think your iPhone 7 battery is bad? My 5s drains really quickly. :p
[doublepost=1505520603][/doublepost]
for everybody who have problems with the battery drain. turn off the location service from the app store. thats a bug in ios 11 that lets drain your battery. turn it off and battery should be fine
Ah, thanks. I'll try it now and hope it helps!!

ZeeDD

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Same issue here, though I can't tell if it's getting better. 6s on the GM, and sometimes while looking at email or some texts I'll drop multiple % at a time. It was way more noticeable on the first day, but I'm still getting some big drops when I use the device heavily.

Right now I've got the following statistics on day two of the GM:
Usage: 3 hr, 44 min
Standby: 9 hr, 3 min
Battery at 47%

Same here on my 6S...

ZeeDD

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012

Hi, you mean switching off the app store location service setting in privacy menu ?

Thanks

ramses2005

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Colombia
After waiting 72h after installing GM as someone suggested, and rebooting in the morning and before sleep, i can say that my battery is bether, but I dont know if its the same as in iOS 10. I want to believe it is, but I get the feel that it lasts way less, abot 3-4h less. I used to go out on fridays till 12am and no need to charge my phone since the last night. Got home after with about 10-20% left.

Im uploading a picture of my usage today, going to sleep with 7% left. Is this usage normal?

Attachments

• 7A1348C7-4EB9-4D23-A960-2022739D8434.png
    7A1348C7-4EB9-4D23-A960-2022739D8434.png
    267.3 KB · Views: 174
  • 508CCB3A-85F1-4E8A-859A-75D246D82D2F.png
    508CCB3A-85F1-4E8A-859A-75D246D82D2F.png
    262.6 KB · Views: 238

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
iOS 11 GM, 6S plus. Massive battery drain. Tried to turn most things off, power cycle, drain battery to 0 and then charge to 100% + some.

iOS 11 is buggy, expect updates in the .1 updates in the coming months

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
iOS 11 GM, 6S plus. Massive battery drain. Tried to turn most things off, power cycle, drain battery to 0 and then charge to 100% + some.

iOS 11 is buggy, expect updates in the .1 updates in the coming months

Try doing a restore and setting it up as new.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
My experience with iOS is that .0 releases are always slow and drain the battery. Wait at least until the .1 release.
Having said that, I'll click the update button right away on Sep 19.

Reactions: ramses2005

Trieu Quoc Bao

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2017
Da Lat 67000, Viet Nam
After almost 72h testing, I realize battery life on iOs 11 same same as iOs 10, but 10.3.3 still better a little bit.
6S+: turn off charging at 7 a.m and I have ~50% at 7 p.m with using viber, messenger, call and messages, trivia crack (12 min), clash of clan (7 min). But, I can have ~60% when I've been on iOs 10.3.3 with my using same above.
And, I think iOs 11.2 or 11.3 let us get a stable battery life (like for the past years).

Last edited:

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
It’s literally unbearable, I had opened safari, typed in macrumors, found the forum and thread then scroll down the bottom. 2% of battery gone just like that.

What I also found is that the GPS comes up awful a lot of some app try to locate me.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Updating to GM now. Guess I'll disable background refresh, that thing wastes battery like crazy.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
It’s literally unbearable, I had opened safari, typed in macrumors, found the forum and thread then scroll down the bottom. 2% of battery gone just like that.

What I also found is that the GPS comes up awful a lot of some app try to locate me.

I thought I was the only one, something keeps using my location. I’ve tried turning off App Store location services as recommended a few posts above and we’ll see if it improves.

I also noticed the phone can get pretty hot doing just normal tasks, especially when it’s downloading app updates.

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009

Seeing the same thing - seems like the OS is much more aggressive in using location services. I’m not sure if that’s because apps need updates to be rolled out to optimize for iOS 11, or if there’s bugs in the system services. Either way it’s kind of annoying.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
fine, keep believing & following myths just cause 65165131 sheep scream "disable wifi when not using, save decades of battery life". not exactly a hard complicated test to do urself, cant even do that much.. no wonder myths are flooding ios left & right. theres been multiple tests done on tablets, other mobile devices & laptops, modern wifi radios when "on" & idle, consume nil, but u believe what u want, flat earthers do this daily.
actually that is a pretty complicated test to do yourself, as you would need to disable the sim card to do so (so be without your phone for roughly a day or 2 to drain the battery, then be without outside contact (no notifications/no messaging etc.) so the usage is identical. It would take roughly 4 days of letting your phone standby with wifi on and then with wifi off. During this time, no use of the phone is allowed to measure it accurately.

Do you want to do this test for us? Since its so simple?

Thanks!

Agent2015

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
Sonoran Desert
My experience with iOS 11 GM on an iPhone 7 Plus 128GB and a 2017 iPad 128GB has been excellent in terms of stability, performance and battery drain. Nothing special in terms of configuration with all default setting left in place. My install on both devices consisted of full ipsw installs via iTunes/Option Key/Update to retain data, apps and settings. Very pleased with iOS 11 GM!

Attachments

• IMG_6726.PNG
    IMG_6726.PNG
    551.1 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_6727.PNG
    IMG_6727.PNG
    564.1 KB · Views: 178

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Experience after 1h with GM. Love iOS 11. Everything has evolved slightly. Battery is worse, but I'll give it 24h to optimize and index before I judge it. I disabled background app refresh to make things better (that thing is useless anyway). I enabled "reduce motion" and everything is blazing fast.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
You're the first person that I have seen make this claim, so I'm not going to search it but I am going to call FUD on it unless you can present some evidence.

Nor do I have 'professional equipment' to take measurements, but I'm guessing you don't either.
It is FUD just ignore him. If you leave WIFI on when not in use it will still scan for networks and runs your battery down.
a couple of simple examples. I use a cycling app on my phone when i am out on my bike and i get much better battery life if i switch wifi off before starting ride. Second if you leave wifi on and walk down any area where lots of public wifi network exist it will constantly try to connect to these networks wasting battery life.

lint2015

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
There’s definitely something wrong with the battery usage. It’s been five days since I updated to the GM and it’s still draining like crazy.

My iPhone 6 Plus updated from 10.3.3 to the GM accrued over 5 hours of battery usage overnight. In comparison, my iPad, which was updated from beta 10 to the GM only accrued 3 min.

My iPad used to have pretty bad battery life earlier in the betas but that seems to have gone by now.

I can’t figure out what’s causing the usage. Unless background tasks after update really takes this long to do its thing, this drain is horrendous. I went from 36-40 hours standby before needing a charge to now needing a charge at 20-22 hours standby.

ramses2005

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Colombia
There’s definitely something wrong with the battery usage. It’s been five days since I updated to the GM and it’s still draining like crazy.

My iPhone 6 Plus updated from 10.3.3 to the GM accrued over 5 hours of battery usage overnight. In comparison, my iPad, which was updated from beta 10 to the GM only accrued 3 min.

My iPad used to have pretty bad battery life earlier in the betas but that seems to have gone by now.

I can’t figure out what’s causing the usage. Unless background tasks after update really takes this long to do its thing, this drain is horrendous. I went from 36-40 hours standby before needing a charge to now needing a charge at 20-22 hours standby.

you got massive battery, I get about 17h standby on iphone 7

Fireagle

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2017
I’m on the gm since the release on my SE. So far the battery was okay. I didn’t notice a difference with 10.3.3 but also didn’t pay attention to it. But something strange happened tonight. I always charge my home overnight so it’s ready for the day. So I plugged it in yesterday at ~60%. When I woke up. The battery was “charging” and 22%. So it drained all the battery overnight while plugged in which is strange. Someone had the same issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.