IOS 11 - HomeKit remote access for Lutron

techortreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
West Coast
I upgraded to IOS 11 today. I noticed that I am not able to remotely access HomeKit to manage the Lutron Caseta lights. (works fine if I am on wifi). All the switches show up as "No Response".
I have an Apple TV 3 that I believe was behaving as the hub for the remote access. I tried reseting the Apple TV and also signing back in.

Anyone else having the same issues?
Interestingly MyQ - Chamberlain seems to work fine.

Thanks

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I upgraded to IOS 11 today. I noticed that I am not able to remotely access HomeKit to manage the Lutron Caseta lights. (works fine if I am on wifi). All the switches show up as "No Response".
I have an Apple TV 3 that I believe was behaving as the hub for the remote access. I tried reseting the Apple TV and also signing back in.

Anyone else having the same issues?
Interestingly MyQ - Chamberlain seems to work fine.

Thanks
Can you access the Lutron app while on LTE? If so, restart the Lutron hub and/or TV. It should appear again. It does work, I have Caseta switches and TV4.

techortreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
West Coast
Can you access the Lutron app while on LTE? If so, restart the Lutron hub and/or TV. It should appear again. It does work, I have Caseta switches and TV4.
Lutron App does work on LTE. I also restarted the hub and Apple TV3 but that did not resolve the issue. I also saw a mention of 2 factor authentication needed. Not sure if that's the reason. Will also try a factory reset

techortreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
West Coast
I would go to the Home app, Home page anc click on the compass icon upper left corner. See if your ATV3 Is recognized as the hub. You do need keychain turned on.
It does show Apple TV as the hub - but says Standby. Don't know if that means anything. I do have keychain turned on too.

robnbill

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
Northern VA - Fairfax Area
It does show Apple TV as the hub - but says Standby. Don't know if that means anything. I do have keychain turned on too.
I'm sure you've gone thru this setup: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207057 You do need two-factor authentication turned on - guess you already do have it on.

Our HK app shows the ATV4 as connected. We have it set NOT to sleep. Although I was under the impression even in standby it is in 'listening' mode and would respond to network commands.

Ours is set to Always:
  1. Go to Settings > General > Privacy and make sure that Location Services is turned on.
  2. Select Location Services.
  3. Make sure that HomeKit is set to Always.

Last edited:

whsbuss

macrumors 68040
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I'm confused. I have apple TV 2 (which does not support HK) along with the Caseta hub and have no issues. Last night, sitting in a restaurant on wifi, I worked the Lutron app without a problem. iOS 11 seems to have no affect. (Since I don't have a HK hub setup).

techortreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
West Coast
I'm confused. I have apple TV 2 (which does not support HK) along with the Caseta hub and have no issues. Last night, sitting in a restaurant on wifi, I worked the Lutron app without a problem. iOS 11 seems to have no affect. (Since I don't have a HK hub setup).
It works with the Lutron App even when I am not on the home wifi. It does not work through HomeKit app. So Siri won't work outside to control the home lights.
I tried enabling dual factor authentication, reseting the Apple TV 3, factory restoring the device.

whsbuss

macrumors 68040
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
It works with the Lutron App even when I am not on the home wifi. It does not work through HomeKit app. So Siri won't work outside to control the home lights.
I tried enabling dual factor authentication, reseting the Apple TV 3, factory restoring the device.
Interesting. After reading your post I tried that and HomeKit works just fine away from home. And I confirmed it - used HomeKit to turn on a few lights and opened the Lutron app to confirm they were.

RobNYC

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
I'm having a similar issue but with and iDevices Smart Plug. It shows up fine when I'm at home but when I'm out it shows up as "No Response."

My Apple TV 4 is set up as the hub and when I click the arrow in the upper left hand corner of the Home App it says it's connected.

robnbill

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
I'm having a similar issue but with and iDevices Smart Plug. It shows up fine when I'm at home but when I'm out it shows up as "No Response."

My Apple TV 4 is set up as the hub and when I click the arrow in the upper left hand corner of the Home App it says it's connected.
I assume your other HK devices show status when you are on cell. We have a number of HK devices and all show correct status - incl. the lone iDevices plug.
Two ideas: Ensure you have 2FA enabled - although if the ATV shows as connected you must have 2FA already. The only other thing I can think of is to to ensure the switch has the latest firmware.
I have never turned the switch on/off while remote - I'll try it next time I'm out.

techortreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
West Coast
I assume your other HK devices show status when you are on cell. We have a number of HK devices and all show correct status - incl. the lone iDevices plug.
Two ideas: Ensure you have 2FA enabled - although if the ATV shows as connected you must have 2FA already. The only other thing I can think of is to to ensure the switch has the latest firmware.
I have never turned the switch on/off while remote - I'll try it next time I'm out.
I have 2FA set up. On the HomeKit, the Apple TV 3 shows up always as "Standby".
Not sure how to check on the firmware. Will research on that.

robnbill

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
I thought iOS10 removed support from the Apple TV for this function:
https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/16/homekit-ios-10-remote-access-automation-apple-tv-2fa/
You can use an ATV3 - with the limitations bellow:
  • To control your accessories remotely, you need an Apple TV (3rd generation)* or an Apple TV (4th generation) with tvOS 9.0 or later.
  • To set up automations and user permissions, you need an Apple TV (4th generation) with tvOS 10 or an iPad with iOS 10 or later.not work
[Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207057]

We have been using an ATV4 and it's works well. A few days ago switched to an ATV 4K - that works very well - we also believe the BT is better.

Whichever ATV you use - it has to show connected via the HK app - standby will not work.

techortreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
West Coast
I figured it out. I literally just reset the plug set it up again as a new device and now it's working with homekit when I'm away.
So you mean a physical reset on the Lutron hub? Do you lose all your paired devices when you do that?

RobNYC

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
So you mean a physical reset on the Lutron hub? Do you lose all your paired devices when you do that?
I don't have the Lutron Plug but an iDevice outlet plug. I just removed it from homekit and reset the plug as if I was setting it up as new. By re-adding it to my wifi network and then back to homekit, it worked.

techortreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
West Coast
Not sure what changed. But it started working today. Apple TV still shows as "standby" when I click on the "compass icon". Anyway Thanks everyone!

Jay-Jacob

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2015
England
I having same problem with Philips hue lights. Apple TV 4 and have 2 factor on and it won’t work on 4G when I away or 4G home. It must be on WiFi at home it works perfectly. Before iOS 10 it works perfectly and iOS 11 broke it. It works fine Philips hue app away home. Not Apple HomeKit app.

What I do?? Run out of ideas.
[doublepost=1508528676][/doublepost]I had to recreate whole thing from start and now it working.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I have 2FA set up. On the HomeKit, the Apple TV 3 shows up always as "Standby".
Not sure how to check on the firmware. Will research on that.
Ran into this issue with a friend. I can confirm that the ATV3 will still allow remote access regardless of what the internet says. I was convinced it wouldn't after reading online and by the time I was sending my friend that link he got it to work with his and his families devices off of Wifi (device was an ecobee3 thermostat).

However they did not have automation settings (requires ATV4 or newer) so geo fencing wouldn't work via HomeKit.

Regardless using the ATV3 + HomeKit they could still remotely control devices off there home Wifi.

Under Home hubs the ATV3 was reported as in "standby" mode. I'm not exactly sure what this means. I have an ATV4, ATV 4K and iPad Air 2. The main hub (AppleTV 4k) report as "connected" while the ATV4 and iPad Air 2 report "standby".