iOS 11: Inconsistencies between copy/drag & drop

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by Rogifan, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Rogifan Suspended

Rogifan

On iOS 11 I noticed in Safari if you long press on a link it brings up the drag & drop UI first and then a second or two later displays the open/copy/share pane. However when long pressing on text you get copy/lookup/share and the blue text selection handles. You have to long press a second time to get the drag & drop UI. Maybe I’m doing something wrong but if not this seems a bit confusing and I can see where people will trigger drag & drop when that wasn’t their intention or want to drag & drop some text and can’t figure out how to do so. Don’t get me wrong I love drag and drop and wouldn’t go back to a version of iOS on iPad that didn’t have it but I do see where some might struggle with it. I think it would be good for Apple to have how to videos online and offer special classes in store to explain all the changes in iOS 11 for iPad.

2. bmac89 macrumors 6502a

bmac89

A link is a single item while a block of text you may only want to work with a single word or a whole paragraph. It allows you to highlight the text you want and then press to drag and drop etc.

I’m not sure how else it would know what text you actually want to drag and drop if it doesn’t bring up the ‘text selection handles’. Maybe I’m misunderstanding you but I think it is working how it should.