Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A little over three weeks after being released to the public, iOS 11 adoption has reached its 47 percent, successfully overtaking iOS 10, according to data collected by analytics company Mixpanel.

With iOS 11 installed on 47 percent of devices, iOS 10 is now installed on 46 percent of devices. 6.7 percent of devices also continue to run iOS 9 or earlier.

ios11adoptionrates-800x439.jpg

iOS 11 adoption has been much slower than iOS 10 adoption during the same timeframe last year. It took just two weeks for iOS 10 to overtake iOS 9, while iOS 11 was only installed on 38.5 percent of devices at the two week mark.

Adoption rates have been steadily increasing, though. At 24 hours, iOS 11 was installed on 10 percent of devices, and at one week, it was installed on 25 percent.

Apple has released three minor updates to iOS 11 so far to fix bugs and issues discovered since its launch. The most recent update, iOS 11.0.3, came out just yesterday.

The first major update to iOS 11, iOS 11.1, is in the works and that update may spur people running iOS 10 to upgrade to iOS 11. iOS 11.1 introduces new emoji characters, often popular with users, and it reintroduces a 3D Touch gesture that lets the App Switcher be accessed with one hand.

Article Link: iOS 11 Overtakes iOS 10, Now Installed on 47% of Devices

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
Not bad considering the update nagging only started today.

Although it did jump right to the 'click OK and we'll install it for you tonight', so expect a spike in these numbers tomorrow.

Reactions: 0958400

manni

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
How do they collect these stats?

I remember years ago it was just done by measuring the OS version of those visiting the App store, thereby excluding huge numbers of casual users.

These numbers seem suspiciously high. I know lots of people who follow tech closely upgrade quickly but there are tens of millions out there who have a 6, 6S, 7, SE on iOS 10 who won't be rushing to upgrade and probably aren't even aware there is an iOS 11.

Reactions: whooleytoo

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
I'm part of the proud 53%. In about 30 years of owning and using Apple products, this marks the first time I've elected not to do software upgrade.

This is not the Apple I grew up with. And it's not the company that transformed itself starting around the mid 2000s either. I'm not blaming Tim Cook like lots of people on here do. But I am no longer the Apple enthusiast and evangelist I once was.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
How do they collect these stats?

I remember years ago it was just done by measuring the OS version of those visiting the App store, thereby excluding huge numbers of casual users.

These numbers seem suspiciously high. I know lots of people who follow tech closely upgrade quickly but there are tens of millions out there who have a 6, 6S, 7, SE on iOS 10 who won't be rushing to upgrade and probably aren't even aware there is an iOS 11.

By website traffic. Companies that collect traffic data from numerous large sites post graphs based on visits from various OS.

UnhappyWithApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2017
Of course it has taken over, once you install it you can't revert back. It is unfortunate that Apple is so heavy handed with iOS updates. Once 11.0.3 installed, older apps no longer work and now you can't restore from an older backup image to migrate data from those apps. Old archives are no longer valuable, since after restoring they immediately load a fresh 11.0.3 install. This is MY device, not Apple's. If I want to revert to an old backup image, I should be allowed to do so.

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
Everyone I know that has switched over has complained about poor battery life and slowdowns of the OS. Until they can fix those problems I'll be sticking with nice stable iOS 10 on my 6S.

Doesn't everyone complain about battery life and slowdown after every new release for every device ever? Then a couple months later, you don't hear about it anymore.

deanthedev

Suspended
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver
Not to negate others' experiences, but it's been solid for me on my iPhone 5s, my iPhone 8, and my iPad mini 2. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 iPhone 6S, a 7 and 7 Plus, 3 iPads all on 11 and all working without any issues.

Only problem I’ve seen is text misalignment in the Find My iPhone App, which has been corrected in the last update.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
No wonder. I erased the download from my parents iPad, and I hoped the iPad would learn that erasing the download would be understood by the iPad as a clear message in the lines of "thanks but I don't want to update". However, Apple is pushing hard these days, very hard, in a really annoying way, so annoying that their products are not user-friendly anymore, but Apple-friendly, or CEO-friendly, or, actually, life-control-friendly.

Today, my parents (who are elderly) inadvertently accepted a dialog for updating to iOS 11, and here we go, a new iPad updated to iOS 11... some 32 bit apps that were useful no longer work, the iPad now is very pushing to activate Touch ID, a password, Apple Pay, etc... (I had to repeat TWICE that I do NOT want Touch ID nor a password, nor iCloud, nor NOTHING, and I'm afraid the iPad will ask me again about that... maybe someday it will require you to accept its blackmail for it to work).

Apple is doing exactly (and I mean exactly, and let me insist: exactly) the same things why I considered Microsoft user-unfriendly and that made me switch from PC to Mac decades ago.

And then you have the fanboys who tell you "if you need to use 32 bit apps, very easy: don't update to iOS 11". Really? Are you joking? How on Earth can you configure your iPad so that elderly people won't get confused and install iOS 11 by mistake when Apple is pushing hard to do whatever the CEO wants?

It's not the first time I realize about this, but today I see it really clear: Maybe I'll continue using Apple-derived technology in the future, because I'm a UNIX user/developer, and because I want products that work out of the box. But I'm almost sure now that I won't be using Apple-genuine products in the future, but Apple-derived ones.

Apple: You really trashed everything good that you used to have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.