iOS 11 Lets AirPods Users Change Tracks With a Double Tap

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 7, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Owners of AirPods will soon be able to skip forwards and backwards between tracks with a simple double tap of either earpiece, thanks to an additional setting Apple is providing in iOS 11.

Currently, AirPods users can only change tracks from the buds by invoking Siri with a double tap and vocally commanding the virtual assistant to do so, an action some people find cumbersome or simply embarrassing to have to perform in public.

Unfortunately the only available alternative to iOS 10 users is to take out their iPhone and perform the track change manually by tapping the lock screen.

[​IMG]

However, as demonstrated by YouTuber Appsolutely Tech, in iOS 11 it's possible to customize the Bluetooth settings on the AirPods so that a double tap on one earpiece skips to the next track, with the same action on the other earpiece returning to the previous track.

The Next/Previous track options join the existing settings found on the iOS Bluetooth 'info' screen that let users double tap to activate Siri, play/pause the track, or turn off the AirPods.

(Thanks, Jonathan!)

Article Link: iOS 11 Lets AirPods Users Change Tracks With a Double Tap

2. Ma2k5 macrumors 6502a

Ma2k5

3. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

4. purplefuku macrumors newbie

purplefuku

If you're listening to a podcast in Overcast (maybe other apps, too? Didn't work with Apple's Podcasts app, though), and you set up the AirPods for next/previous track, you can jump forward or back in the podcast with a double tap. It even keep your custom settings for the number of seconds to jump forward/back! So cool.

5. kubaw macrumors newbie

Great. And with iOS 12 we shall expect to control the volume.

6. Eliottjames macrumors regular

Eliottjames

Just discovered an interesting tidbit with this. Yesterday I tried out the new AirPods behaviour, setting the right to next track and the left to Siri. When I used my AirPods with my primary device running iOS 10 today, they had retained this behaviour! There was no option for separate left and right controls in the AirPods settings on my iOS 10 device but they still retained their iOS 11 behaviour. That's one iOS 11 feature that we can enjoy now I suppose (providing that you're running the beta on another device...).

7. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I guess they're waiting until iOS 12 for triple-tap.

Just think of the possibilities!

8. twinlight macrumors 6502

twinlight

Does it work without turning on the screen?

Siri works somewhat but phone turns on the screen in my pocket and 10 minutes later it's warm in my pocket. Or Siri starts doing things like 'Here are some things you can ask...'

9. kissmo macrumors 6502a

Still... why do they limit this to double taps?

Why not use the config as it is and add triple tap for SIRI??
    --- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2017 ---
    I imagine by then Airpods 2 will have touch sensitivity so you will swipe up and down on them for volume adjustment :-D

10. GucciPiggy macrumors regular

GucciPiggy

YES! I'll be honest when I first watched WWDC I wasn't that impressed, but the more I hear about iOS 11 the more impressed I'm getting.

I will be glad to be able to use my AirPods with this new functionality.

11. djcerla macrumors 65816

djcerla

Also:

LONG TAP: lowers volume
    DOUBLE TAP+HOLD: raises volume

12. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

I just checked that too! I'm going to test if it retains this setting when doing a run with my apple watch (without my iphone)

13. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Is this true?

14. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

This is great, changing tracks is one of my major gripes with the AirPods. Having to use Siri was a crappy solution.

15. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

I read this as stating this is an existing functionality on iOS 10. Is that true? I looked in Settings>Bluetooth and saw a list of my bluetooth connectable devices, but I cannot find a way to change the double tap functionality of my AirPods. Am I missing something? When clicking the info button, all it gave me the option to do was "Forget This Device".

16. djcerla macrumors 65816

djcerla

Sorry, I did not make clear it was just my idea.

17. Eliottjames macrumors regular

Eliottjames

Are your AirPods connected to your device when you're doing this?

18. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

They were not, but I connected them and that did the trick. The options display only appears when the device is actively connected. Thanks!

19. foobarbaz macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, not really possible with the current hardware. It's not touch sensitive. Tapping is detected by motion only.

20. GucciPiggy macrumors regular

GucciPiggy

Wait, seriously?! This is a game changer!! The only thing I hate about the AirPods right now is that to change the volume I need to use my Apple Watch, iPhone or Siri.

21. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Will probably buy these now. Good work Apple!

22. djcerla macrumors 65816

djcerla

Didn't know that, thanks.

23. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

24. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts

Why does the screen look so yellow in the picture in the story

25. JohnApples macrumors 65816

This *is* a nice addition. This was one of the two issues I had with AirPods that were preventing me from buying them. The other is volume control.

Think we can get them to implement triple tap volume before GM?