iOS 11 needs split screen view like iPad and LG G6

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by TwoBytes, Mar 7, 2017.

1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

2. SSAJ macrumors 6502

Yeah but they do it on iPhones there would be no point left in buying the iPad

3. Lappen71 macrumors regular

Lappen71

Another function majority of user never vill use.

4. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

5. Kalloud macrumors regular

Split screen is the feature I am looking forward to the most in iOS 11, even more than dark mode.
    But honestly I don't think apple will implement such feature soon because iOS apps don't automatically scale as android apps do.

6. itsmilo macrumors 65816

itsmilo

Yes. Not being able to watch ... something, while chatting with people is annoying

7. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

There's a brief example of split screen on the iPhone in this new iOS 11 concept video..

8. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

I'd love this.. like the concept video. With screen sizes getting bigger, I can think of a few instances where it would be useful.
    On a call taking notes..
    watching a video taking notes
    productivity when compiling an email with notes
    referring to a site and composing a message

9. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

If Apple does release this feature be prepared to buy the newest phone. I'm sure in true Apple fashion they will make it a feature that works on the new iphones only even though the current hardware can handle it.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, to a good degree it often can depend on how well the older hardware would be able to handle it.

11. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

how usefull is this on a phone? On iPad I use it but I cant imagine its good even on a 5.5 inch display.

12. TMRJIJ, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017

TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

Everything you are describing is much more useful on the iPad. The iPhone screen sizes are too small and nobody really uses their phones for that kind of productive work.

13. itsmilo macrumors 65816

itsmilo

Since i cant be productive on either of those two devices i would still welcome split view on the iPhone Plus. The screen is big enough to have a video run on the top half while answering messages on whatsapp at the bottom half

Right now i have to watch something on my Plus and answer on my old 6. quite annoying

14. cynics macrumors G4

First thing that crossed my mind.

I only use it on the iPad with a calculator app. Due to screen size even that on an iPhone wouldn't be that useful.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 18, 2017 ---
    I understand your use case and I'm not denying it wouldnt be beneficial to you however to play devils advocate can't you just answer messages from the notification with WhatsApp? I do this with GroupMe and the stock message app without pausing a video, admittedly its a bit intrusive for the video however its unlikely you can reply without taking your eyes off the video anyway.

Plus with your idea you need to fit the video, whatapp and a keyboard on the screen. Seems messy to me personally.

15. mjschabow macrumors 65816

It's really not that useful. Samsung has had it for 5 years now and I've owned several of their phones. Using split screen just isn't that convenient compared to normal multitasking.

16. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Don't care about split screen on my iPhone. I care about being able to answer a phone call without taking me out of whatever app I'm currently using. Like LG and Samsung have been doing for a while now.

17. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

PIP at least. Would love to be able to watch a trailer preview in the background while still being able to scroll and read the rest of the article.

18. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Since they added inline video playback in Safari to iOS 10 on iPhone I've viewed this as having a reasonable chance of making it into iOS 11. The inline stuff seems like it was the first necessary step to making PIP possible, because it created a mini player with mini controls, just like we see with PIP on Apple's other devices.

19. monotious macrumors newbie

Just like we don't really "need" an iPhone or iPad to begin with...

20. CagdasCizer macrumors member

CagdasCizer

Tbh I used it with a jb tweak and even 5.5 inch screen is too small for most multitasking. I've got a lot of friends with android devices supporting split screen and they also believe that it is not that useful. Altough I wouldnt mind having it and agree that it could be useful for certain occasions it is not a ''must'' for me.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2017 ---
    Now this is really annoying and tbh really easy to fix.

21. itsmilo macrumors 65816

itsmilo

22. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

I'd like split screen on my iPhone. Having it locked to portrait would be the easiest way so you can just cut the app in half.

23. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

Picture in Picture too. :) I can see them restricting it to 3GB RAM iPhones like the 7 Plus and the newest version only

24. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

No it is not needed, but when/if Apple do it people will think it is fabulous. Remember people laughing at 5.5" screen phones, how many of them now have a plus?:)

You would be surprised at the amount of people that need Apple to 'tell' them they need something.