iOS 11 PB 2 Battery Life

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by Pbrutto, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Pbrutto macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

i realize we have only been running it for a few hours, but my battery life is sinking like a stone. Wondering if it will even charge effectively at this rate. I’m losing about 1% every 5-10 minutes with on and off usage. Thought it might be helpful to start a thread to track it till tomorrow night when we will know for sure if it is just indexing issues or if PB2 is going to cause a spike in greenhouse gas emissions.

Interestingly I lost 9% during the transition from PB1 to PB 2. I cannot remember losing that much during an update before.

Runnng iPhone 7 Plus by the way. If you are so inclined to respond, please include device type as I am sure it varies by age/size/device.

2. jhall8 macrumors 6502

jhall8

My 6s is on DB3 (same build as PB2). Battery life is getting better. Here is today’s.

Attached Files:

3. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

better.? that battery is atrocious..

4. jhall8, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017

jhall8 macrumors 6502

jhall8

Yes, but it’s better than on DB1 or 2. It didn’t even last a full work day on the prior builds.

5. digitalexplr macrumors 6502

digitalexplr

Battery life is better with pb2 on 6s and it 9.7.

iPP has lost 16% in 4 1/2 hours. The 6s 18% in the same time.

6. digitalexplr macrumors 6502

digitalexplr

Battery life is better with pb2 on 6s and it 9.7.

iPP has lost 16% in 4 1/2 hours. The 6s 18% in the same time.

7. TheCannonator macrumors newbie

TheCannonator

I had a problem with BAT life with PB1 because I gave up on trying to close out apps now I can close them out on PB2 hoping I get better life.

8. Pbrutto thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

I agree here. Apple’s notion that apps in the background aren’t bad is total bunk. I’m not saying to not leave apps running, you use your phone how you want, just saying that time and time again, iOS after iOS, apps are known to suck the life out of your battery in the background.

I also had given up as it would look like an app was closed when it never was.

My battery did end up losing about 40 percent of its charge in 4 hours with minimal-average usage. So far, still not looking good.

9. CoriG macrumors 6502

I need a full day to test out the battery life on PB 2. PB 1 was atrocious. I would have to plug in my phone multiple times a day to charge it up. For some reason PB 11 is much worse than PB 10.

10. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

I don’t want to discourage you; I hope you’ll keep testing (and reporting to Apple) issues in the betas but, in my experience through DP1, 2 and 3 battery life has not significantly improved from its baseline of very bad. I’m not complaining, we know what we sign up for.

11. kaiseryeahhh macrumors regular

kaiseryeahhh

Same use time or sleep time.
    Same issue in beta 1,2,3
    Clean instalatión with NO itunes or icloud backup.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2017 ---
    Any solution? or back to 10.3.2?

12. plexdk macrumors 6502

Apps sleep and do not run in the background .. betas might have a bug putting the threads to sleep though

13. Pbrutto thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

I can happily say that things seemed to have calmed down, seem to be ending my day around 5% which is normal.

14. BSben macrumors 65816

Battery life is almost halved on my 6s plus, but worse is the drain on my Apple Watch it needs charging at least once during a day. When the Watch is used disconnected from the iPhone battery life is back to normal.

15. jhall8, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017

jhall8 macrumors 6502

jhall8

I found out that I had an app that was using more battery by pinging location than I’d realized. I uninstalled the app yesterday. Today my 6s on DB3 was back up to 14 hours total with 4.5 hours of usage. So OK for a beta, though not as good as with iOS 10.

16. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

Battery life for me is about the same as public beta 1. I am using a SE and I end the day with about 50% which is about on par with the last guild.

17. Pbrutto thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

If your watch is on beta, I have heard that there is a new feature under general>workouts that allows it to look for the new connected gym equipment. My understanding is that this causes a battery bleed and if shut off increases the watch battery run time on the beta. Unfortunately, it sounds like your phone beta could be the issue.

18. VSG macrumors regular

I get about 6 hours of active use and 14 hours of stand-by out of it which is pretty ok.
    On iOS 10 it was a lot more stand-by, though.

Now I finish every day at under 10 %, iOS 10 it was still 20-40 % depending on usage.

19. applepuree macrumors 6502

applepuree

My battery usage is terrible on the current beta (iPhone 7 Plus) and charging feels slower. I came home this afternoon with only 15% despite a top up during the day from 15 to 40%, and its taken about 4 hours to charge to 90%.

But....its a beta, I expect some battery issues but the charging feels wrong.

20. TheCannonator macrumors newbie

TheCannonator

I’m just hoping the final cut won’t be a battery drainer. I love the iOS and the DO NOT disturb driving feature.

21. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

Today on my 7+

Attached Files:

22. TheCannonator macrumors newbie

TheCannonator

Almost 7 hours damn

23. biglipps66 macrumors member

Im about the same on PB2 as well, I live next to my charger now ha

24. TheCannonator macrumors newbie

TheCannonator

At 79% been off charge since 5:30 EST. I use low power mode at work took it off at 12:34. Moral of story use Low Power Mode when applicable.

Attached Files:

25. Pbrutto thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

Yeah I retract my previous “everything is okay post”. I have had to charge my phone in the middle of the day the last 3 days in a row....and I was at the beach with decent service for two of those and not using my phone.

Today was really bad, phone died at about 5 P.M., I charged it to 100%, it’s at 54% now and it’s 11.

Battery monitor is useless, says I am loosing huge chunks to an app that I have background app refresh disabled too, and I keep closing it when I use it now.

I am not going to give up on the beta or anything like that, but it is very frustrating and makes it very difficult to use the phone as I’m having to hook it in the wall and to my battery backup constantly.

Also, it randomly and regularly gets hot when I’m not doing anything. I know that’s pretty common beta fodder, but I never got much of that on the iOS 10 or 9 beta.