Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
The mini 4 has the A8, not A8X, right? Anyone know if it does/doesn’t run iOS 11 as well as the air 2?
My Wife has a Mini 4. The most resecent version 11.0.3 runs fine on it. Both have the same amount of RAM, but the iPad Air 2 has the additional processor core.

If you want to use the dock, it’s a decent update.

I haven’t compared it side by side with my iPad Air 2, but she complains about the performance of iOS 11 on her iPhone 6, but not her iPad Mini 4....

Reactions: subjonas

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
lol I’m rocking an original Air on iOS 11..still epic battery life. And to be honest it’s not much slower than a brand new iPad Pro smalller version.

I almost want to do a side by side video since I have both in my house. It’s literlly a tick slower on safari.

Opening apps the pro destroys it, and the camera is light years better. But safari and the YouTube app it’s neck and neck. Only problem is the air refreshes pages all the time.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
I have a Mini 4 and an Air 2. I ran 11.0 and 11.0.1 on both. Neither one was a good user experience. The Mini 4, as expected, ran both less well than the Air 2. I put both back on 10.3.3 before Apple stopped signing iOS 10.
Try 11.1 next week as it should be much better and only smoother to come with 11.2 and sequential updates.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
The word is superstition.

Totally agree. Some iOS versions are mostly just tweaks that don't really affect performance. Others are major changes that place a lot of new demands on hardware. You just can't generalize.
[doublepost=1508950479][/doublepost]
Try 11.1 next week as it should be much better and only smoother to come with 11.2 and sequential updates.

Here's hoping. I really liked the iOS 11 iPad keyboard and dock. But I'm going to go slowly on 11.1 because this time I can't just roll back to iOS 10. The hard thing about iOS 11 so far is that, going on memory, I think it has had more varied responses than earlier versions. I think I see a lot more complaints about either battery life and/or performance than with most earlier iOS versions.

Reactions: gobikerider

akbadwolf

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2013
IOS 11 beta and finally GA on my AIR 2 was a disaster to the point I was thinking about getting rid of it. Battery life was only about a hour. Everything seemed to just work flaky. I did a Hail Mary pass and decided to do a clean reset, erase and start it over like it was a new machine. Wow! What a remarkable difference! I did not do a restore. I treated it like it was new. It is like a brand new machine now.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
IOS 11 beta and finally GA on my AIR 2 was a disaster to the point I was thinking about getting rid of it. Battery life was only about a hour. Everything seemed to just work flaky. I did a Hail Mary pass and decided to do a clean reset, erase and start it over like it was a new machine. Wow! What a remarkable difference! I did not do a restore. I treated it like it was new. It is like a brand new machine now.

Did you rebuild with a Beta?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.