iOS 11 System storage climbing until phone storage full

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by asin_visage, Sep 21, 2017.

1. asin_visage macrumors newbie

Has anyone experienced a random, slow, steady increase in their system storage size in iOS 11? I just did a backup and restore and everything was normal again, but about 10 minutes after the phone was setup, the system storage started to climb again and the phone is again almost full...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68040

slooksterPSV

What’s apps are showing as being the largest? My storage usage keeps going down. I think it’s because I removed the backup from iCloud, but I’ve installed and updated other apps too.

3. asin_visage thread starter macrumors newbie

No apps at all, oddly. They seem to stay the same size, but the 'system' storage (the item at the bottom of the storage list) goes up and up and up until there's no more up! Phone also feels quite hot, and loses batter power really fast--even after a restore. I've had the phone for a while (a 6S), so this is all new.

4. Thomasbritton macrumors newbie

Thomasbritton

I’m experiencing the exact same.

I’ve tried the erase all content and restore from backup method and system just takes everything it can still.

I’m on an iphone6+

5. Henry63 macrumors newbie

Henry63

I have the same problem with my iphone SE 32Go. 32 Go are used out of 32 ! I suppressed apps, but the system (or whatever) grews up and consumes all memory.

6. JONYZA macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2017 ---
    Yes same problem I’m using 6s

7. Henry63 macrumors newbie

Henry63

I fixed the problem (I think). Doing a backup with itunes, I saw mention of mp3 podcast files, very old ones. . I have a lot of podcast in itunes, sync on all devices. On the mac, you can have a podcast referenced, but not subscribed. I have the feelings that on ios, the podcast app runs wild and tries to download all the unsubscribed but referenced podcast. I backuped and restored the iphone: no change. I forbid podcast app to download new podcasts, I removed all the these podcasts, but memory was not reclaimed. Updating to 11.0.3 reclaimed the memory : 10gb freed. Success.

8. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

9. Henry63 macrumors newbie

Henry63

Sure. But here I am talking about unsubscribed podcast downloaded and NOT SHOWING UP in memory usage or podcast list.

10. Defstonesdad macrumors newbie

Defstonesdad

Same issue here. 64gb IPad mini, iOS 11.1. System is taking 14.9 gb of storage..

11. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

have about 9.65GB of "System" storage...not sure what it is?

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I think its mainly system and app caches. Mine tends to hover between 7.5-9.0GB on my 8Plus. My Air 2 stays closer to 6-7GB. The number seems to go up and down on its own.

A fresh install with nothing installed is about 5.5-6GB.

13. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

the weird thing is i didn't see this when Friday when i activated it. all of a sudden I saw it late yesterday.

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Thats odd. I've had it since the second I installed iOS 11.

15. slooksterPSV macrumors 68040

slooksterPSV

16. barger01 macrumors newbie

Plug your phone up and sync to iTunes...I haven’t synced to iTunes in years and my system size was up for 11gbs on iOS 11. After plugging it up, it immediately dropped to 2gb...it’s back up for 3.9gbs today so idk if it will get as high as it did before. I’m on iOS 11.2 on iPhone X if that matters.

17. Cubflyer macrumors newbie

I'm on 11.1.1 now and System still eating up space!

Complete reset and itunes Backup did not help, still there...

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Well, typically when you restore from a backup, you restore whatever abnormality that was causing the problem to begin with.

19. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

I sync my iPhone with iTunes about once per day at least. Never reclaim any space through the process. System uses nearly 9 GB with like 3 GB being in “others” that iOS has no idea about.
    I respect the intention to not let user mess up with system. But these storage related issues are bothering more people. Is Apple really designing these iPhones to ONLY ever be used with all cloud based apps only? What is the point of 512GB then?

20. Appleman11 macrumors newbie

Appleman11

Experiencing the same issue. Climbed up from 6 GB to 14 GB in 11.1 GM and now to 16 GB used for the system over the past week. Using an 8+ with 64GB.

21. Appleman11 macrumors newbie

Appleman11

Update to 11.2. This fixes the issue (at least for me). If not, you should back up, erase and setup your phone again.

22. Deadcalf macrumors newbie

Deadcalf

Yeah. Switch out of iPhone ASAP. That’s what I’m gonna do. When my system is saying it’s taking up almost more than half of the storage it’s time to get out. Oh but I can save space by turning on my cloud storage... no thanks.

23. simonmet macrumors 68020

simonmet

Apple has removed the indicator in iOS 11.3. :/

24. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

What indicator?

25. kenny christantio macrumors newbie

kenny christantio

i got it fixed I guess you can just remove your other system storage such as safari website data your old Imessage which is a lot and your unreaded emails because once my system was 51 gigabyte I got an iPhone 7+ but after I deleted all of that it became to 20 giga so it helped me a lot and don't forget to sync your others in iTunes so your storage is divided between photos and other system so your processor is much faster to process