Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bloodraw850

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Florida
Oh Apple. Control center looks awful, no picture in picture on iPhone, no group FaceTime.

They better at least get rid of that annoying volume animation and the phone call that takes up the entire screen.

Oh and people need to get over dark mode, that's a jailbreak exclusive ;)

The volume animation drives me insane!!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why are people so obsessed with re-designs. Redesigining software all the time is terrible UX. I know so many people who just learn how to use something and get used to it and then the UI changes and they want to throw their phone in the garbage.
They want something new and different, but are then disappointed either way if they don't get it or if they do get it and it's not what they hoped it would be (even though they usually don't quite know what they wanted to begin with aside from it just being different somehow).

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
They want something new and different, but are then disappointed either way if they don't get it or if they do get it and it's not what they hoped it would be (even though they usually don't quite know what they wanted to begin with aside from it just being different somehow).
Of course. And if Apple had done a big redesign we'd have a page full of posts from people complaining about how fugly it is and how that's it now they're going Android.

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
Wait, what is new?

New control panel UI which is nice.

New app store design.

What? That's it? lol

I guess you missed all the iPad updates, maps updates, peer-to-peer Apple Pay, multi-room AirPlay, Siri expansion, etc?

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
Apple wouldn't leak new features until the next iPhone arrives in the fall. Calm down people.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Truly a huge disappointment

Change for the sake of change is stupid... so what is the phone not doing that you NEED it to do?
[doublepost=1496716283][/doublepost]
Wow, what a major let down, still the same UI interface. No grouping of notifications. No group FaceTime, nothing thats fresh. Same dock experience, same static icons. No manual mode or camera settings baked in. I understand they said they have a lot to go over or they don't want to show features that may give away to the next iPhone. These items are all software related. Why can't you FaceTime and do other things at the same time like Android. It may be time to say goodbye.

If you need to do other things, why are you video chatting?

Reactions: Jayderek

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Changing default apps for mail and maps.
That's not innovation by any means. Simply an option that Apple hasn't been wanting to provide.
[doublepost=1496716399][/doublepost]
Apple wouldn't leak new features until the next iPhone arrives in the fall. Calm down people.
Except for all the new features Apple already showed off today.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Ok that's good. But the question remains: why not brag about it during the keynote? The world is watching and they say nothing. Woeful.

Maybe because most people use a phone for the apps and they couldn't care less about how the Control Center is styled? If you're bragging about how customizeable your Control Center is, it means you haven't developed anything else worth a damn.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Well, Craig did say that there is a lot more that they didn't have time to go over.
I don't get why they have to limit their time. Do they think they are gonna bore people or something? Why can't they go into more depth and have a longer event? I can sit fine through a 3 hour movie after all.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

I'm glad that iPad Pro 9.7 is an iOS 11 feature (top left) :p

--

It is interesting that iPhone is usually the focus of iOS and iPad kinda takes the back burner on considerations to it specifically, but in this case it seems flipped. iPhone iOS 11 appears to be on the back burner in terms of strumming up the experience. Which is a mixed bag but I appreciate that as a 9.7 pro user even if I don't get all 10.5 functionality (idk)

Also will all apps be compatible with 10.5 iPad Pro even on iOS 10 shippignversion next week? Hmm

I am so sick of iOS 7 look. So sick. Like not even a fine tuning?

If Apple releases an OLED without a dark mode, battery will be worse and you'll be staring at your OLED tint on the reg

One hopes for stock dark mode. But I got it already on my 7+ (jailbreak)

Last edited:

Cigsm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
You do know that both dark mode and customizable control center are included right?

Where did I say I wanted Apple to do what I wanted all the time?

I was expecting/hoping for night mode, customisable control centre, and grouped notifications. People have been asking for these for 2 years and Apple have responded with a huge F.U.

I'm gone.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Android O now looking far superior to IOS. Android just keeps on improving while IOS has been stagnant for quite some time.
[doublepost=1496721286][/doublepost]
Oh cool, then when you buy your phone tomorrow I hope you really love that version of android since you'll never get another update
My phone gets upgraded every 12 months though my carrier Swap plan, so updates are a mute point for me :) Not to mention all my android phones have received at least one major update giving them a 24 month lifespan OS wise.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
iOS 11 is not a "refinement" imo. On the iPad, yes iOS is way better for multitasking but, otherwise, I'm very disappointed as well. Notifications on iOS 10 is still ugly to me, but not only they didn't fix that fir 11, but they expand the ugly thing on the lock screen if you listen music.

The lock screen integration when you simply want to see your notifications on the home screen feels weird and not intuitive at all to me.

The only thing that appeal to me is the new features for the music app, and the multitasking on the iPad and its pretty much all I can say that I like.

Smart invert colors was a great surprise and consolation of not having a true dark mode at first, but when you realize Safari still shows the picture inverted, you know this new setting is not as useful as you first thought

Reactions: redbeard331
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.