iOS 12.1.1 Broke Activity App Swim Pace

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by thewusman, Dec 10, 2018.

1. thewusman macrumors regular

Since updating on Saturday all current AND historical average swim pace / auto swim set pace is stuffed inside the Activity App from the Watch data received. (AW4 fwiw).

Never had any issues before this. Now my swim pace is a lottery and useless.

It appears the auto rest time, which since WatchOS4 (iirc) has been excluded from calculating average pace, is now randomly added to some sets.

Dammit Apple.

Don't you test this stuff anymore ?

Anyone else able to confirm ?

There is an off chance this could be watchOS related but I suspect all the data crunching is done inside the iPhone Activity App itself after a swim workout is synced.

2. thewusman thread starter macrumors regular

I guess a thread is useless without pictures, here is an excellent example of how apple have fcuked things up wholesale:

Take this swim from 22 November, a 2.15km set.

It used to show an average swim pace of 1:35/100 which is accurate and in my range.

Now, the AUTO SETS still appear fine, but the SPLITS are totally broken and it would appear all the REST time is randomly inserted into some intervals / segments / splits. So basically the swim info is useless.

All historical swim data as messed up as this. If you use MySwimPro or another app that uses the apple swim API same story.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

Just checked historic swim data (only updated watch last night) and mine is still fine.
    Won’t be going to the pool til Thursday morning I suspect.

I’ve got a SSW3.

4. thewusman, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018

thewusman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the feedback - going to check some other friends watches as well. Please let me know if it changes after the first new sync after next swim.

Edit: it may be an AW4 problem - with sensor data calculations unique to the new model - after iOS 12.1.1 in the Activity App - only thing that could explain past data being so badly impacted.

Edit 2: Must be iOS 12.1.1 not the AW4, even my swim data from September and before (AW2) is screwed up.

5. thewusman thread starter macrumors regular

Downgraded to iOS 12.1 and set up as new phone.

All my Activity data was restored from iCloud and swim data is now 100% again.

Hesitant to upgrade to 12.1.1 again ...

6. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

This mornings swim is fine for me, splits along the same lines as before.
    Last weeks are ok as well.
    To be honest I’m not a fast nor serious swimmer I really only use it to count my lengths as I forget and make sure I complete them in as close to 30 minutes as possible.

7. thewusman thread starter macrumors regular

Swimming is the reason I went with AW (first model 2, now upgraded to the 4) because the open water swimming accuracy and tracking beats Suunto, Garmin and Polar.

It was a nightmare having to solve this problem - appreciate your feedback.

I hope it was just a corrupted update installing 12.1.1 last weekend - will wait a while though before going with 12.1.2 or later.

The watch is still on WatchOS 5.1.2 with the ECG firmware - so it's not the watch. Went for an OWS this morning (2.2km) and pace and splits are perfect.

8. coldwaves macrumors regular

I can confirm that I have the same problem on iOS 12.1.1. I have an Apple Watch series 3. The average pace of swimming in the Activity app does not seem to be correct. In a recent swim, my average pace is 1 minutes 9 seconds for 25 yards. I am a slow swimmer but not that slow. It looks like it includes the rest time when calculating average pace. The auto sets show the correct swimming time and rest time. Hope the next iOS update fix the issue. I have reported the bug to Apple.

9. thewusman thread starter macrumors regular

Can confirm still broken in 12.1.3 looking at my girlfriends auto sets, vs pace, vs what is shown in splits.

It is adding rest time to the average pace.

LOL Apple.

10. coldwaves macrumors regular

iOS 12.1.3 did not fix this problem. The rest time is still included in calculating the average pace in swimming.

11. thewusman thread starter macrumors regular

The owner and developer of MySwimPro has kindly submitted this bug to Apple, radar reference #47667052.

We shouldn't hold our breath for a quick fix but this problem is bloody stupid for anyone that actually wishes to use the data the watch produces ....

12. coldwaves macrumors regular

This is great. Hope Apple is aware of it and fix it soon. Having rest time included in pace calculation essentially makes the pace data useless.