iPhone iOS 12.1 - Apple will now throttle the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and iPhone X

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by Hustler1337, Nov 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Just came across this news on Engadget's Youtube channel and they also have an article on this.

They're now extending the performance throttling on the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and iPhone X.

Quite shocked that even the 1+ yr old iPhone X is now subject to throttling. :eek:

2. BigDO macrumors 6502a

BigDO

3. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Why would your phone throttle unless there's something wrong with the battery or it's degraded enough to not support peak load performance? My 3 year old 6S(original battery) hasn't throttled once (92% capacity) so I doubt after 11 months my X will have issues (97% capacity). If it does, easy fix replace the battery and no more throttling.

4. Banglazed, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018

Banglazed macrumors demi-god

Banglazed

Logically speaker, battery degrade after a year so it makes sense to have something to fail back on if the battery can't deliver the required voltage to keep the device on and this feature allow iOS to regulate the voltage. User still have the option after an unexpected shutdown to keep it on or turn off the power management feature so you still have a choice.

Clickbait title

5. Jayson A macrumors 68000

I thought they give you the option to turn off the battery throttling? Anyway... I still have a 7 Plus and my battery is still in good health and there's no performance penalty.

6. -BigMac-, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018

-BigMac- macrumors 68000

-BigMac-

Useless thread.

Theyre not throttling anything.
    They give you the option to decrease the performance if you wish to limit the possibility of running into a crash, which in turn increases user experience.

“Quite shocked” this is the knowledge of someone with 1700 comments..

You gonna flip it and make a post on every competitor site saying they dont give users enough choice for battery protection?

7. barjam macrumors 6502

Just about all CPUs are throttled, certainly all smart phone and computer CPUs are, I don’t know why this is a concern.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.