iOS 12.1 Beta Includes Fix for iOS 12 iPhone and iPad Charging Issue

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 2, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The second beta of iOS 12.1, which was released this morning, includes a fix for a charging issue affecting the iPhone XS, XS Max, and other iOS devices.

Discovered following the launch of the two new iPhones and highlighted over the weekend, the charging bug causes some iPhone and iPad devices to refuse to charge over a Lightning connection when the screen is not activated.

[​IMG]

According to iMore's Rene Ritchie, the new iOS 12.1 beta fixes the issue so iOS users will no longer need to double check to make sure their devices are charging after being plugged in.

The bug does not affect all iPhones and iPads, but those who are impacted have seen their devices fail to charge over Lightning when plugged in while the iPhone is asleep.

Tapping the iPhone to wake it up in this situation resumes charging, but an iPhone that is affected and plugged in with the screen deactivated can refuse to charge, resulting in uncertainty over whether or not a device is actually charging.

While this issue originally came to light because of complaints from iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max owners, it appears it was widespread and affected many devices running iOS 12.

Article Link: iOS 12.1 Beta Includes Fix for iOS 12 iPhone and iPad Charging Issue

2. Cyberpower678 macrumors 6502

No surprise. Bugs happen. Admittedly, this was a pretty serious one, and made me wonder how this passed testing. I guess they all use wireless charging over at Apple.

3. StellarVixen, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018

StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

Another "gate" down. Now, would you stop with that "gate" nonsense whenever some minor problem pops up, OK?

Thank you in advance.

4. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Well they still need to solve the bad reception people been having issues with

5. nsayer macrumors 6502a

nsayer

I had a weird situation happen over the weekend with my wife's iPad pro.

It was all-the-way dead, so I plugged it in. The charger got the iPad to boot up, but then it wouldn't charge, so it died again. The charger would then bring it back up enough to boot... This cycle continued a few times before I quickly unplugged and re-plugged the charger after the iPad booted. It then charged all the way to 100% without further ado.

Is this the same issue?

6. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

iOS 12 brought some welcome improvements to the iPhone, granted.

On the iPad, however, it is hot garbage. Erratic charging would be the least of our concerns.

7. Cyberpower678 macrumors 6502

My friend who has Verizon on his XS Max reports better reception than his X

8. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

Issue fixed by software 3 days after this entire forum and some youtubers made a MASSIVE ****ING FUSS over some minor testing oversight.

Jesus.

9. nviz22 macrumors 601

nviz22

Fixes major issue, needs you to beta test software first. #Apple

10. snowboarder macrumors 6502

11. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

Granted, there seems to be drop in QA in recent years, but what they lost they compensated by lightning quick response to the problems most of the time.

12. brian3uk macrumors 6502

ok but how long do we have to wait for 12.1? Will there be a 12.0.1 to fix this sooner?

13. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Hopefully they address the terrible reception for Sprint and Verizon users, if possible.

14. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

With hundreds of thousands beta testing IOS 12, nah, this bug shouldn’t happen

15. MarcMller macrumors regular

16. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Okay, but a lot of people still have the issue across all carriers

17. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

You mean Apple shipped faulty products? then "promised" to fix then latter? (when they get round to it)

18. brian3uk macrumors 6502

Yeah but no public beta folks were testing it on the new hardware. That's why I think they need to stop releasing a new iOS and new phone at the same time.

19. toneLA2 macrumors regular

Minor testing oversight? As in ‘the most basic function of a battery-powered phone’ kind of oversight?

I’m a huge Apple consumer and have been since they nearly went bankrupt right before the arrival of the iPod which saved the company. That being said, I don’t drink this ridiculous kool-aid.

Most people will argue that for that kind of money, one shouldn’t have to worry about plugging in a phone at night.

That said, we’re all glad you’ve slept well at night charging your phone wirelessly.

20. BootsWalking macrumors 6502a

Some issues can be fixed cheaply in software in a few days like this one, others can't and require class action suits to get Apple to fix them. It's hard to know in advance which will be the case for a particular bug, and as such I can't fault people for freaking out. Sadly it's a learned response to Apple's prior behavior.

21. vpndev macrumors 6502

My experience is that it will charge fine if plugged in to a charger (non-Apple in my instance). But it will NOT charge if plugged into a computer of some kind. After a while it displays the USB-device-locked alert instructing you to unlock it in order to connect via USB. If you do then the phone will charge.

22. ani4ani macrumors 6502a

So it took Apple all of a few days to provide a fix....that simple? So simple, yet fell through all the launch QA testing...makes you wonder.

23. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

No, it is not.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 2, 2018 ---
    Those hundreds of thousands weren't using the unreleased XS and XS Max.

24. jacks64 macrumors newbie

jacks64

You can blame that Unbox Therapy guy for that.

25. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Didn't seem like it would be a big deal to fix.

26. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Please understand that the bad reception problems that some people are reporting (including me) is that the problem is much much worse in "fringe" areas and not in good areas where yes, reception seems superior. Sometimes in known fringe areas my Max will not connect at all while my spouses 7 Plus still will. This is the problem.