iOS 12.2 and Safari 12.1 for macOS Include Updated Intelligent Tracking Prevention Feature

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 21, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Safari in the iOS 12.2 beta and Safari 12.1 for macOS High Sierra and Mojave includes an updated version of Intelligent Tracking Prevention, according to details shared on Apple's WebKit blog.

ITP 2.1, as Apple is calling it, caps client-side cookie storage to seven days. After this time period, cookies expire. As outlined by Apple, this offers improvements in privacy, security, and performance. From Apple's WebKit blog:
    The cookie storage limits will not log users out as long as websites are using the appropriate authentication cookies because it only affects cookies created through document.cookie.

ITP 2.1 also allows for just a single set of cookies per site rather than multiples, and third party tools with cross-site tracking capabilities need to use the Storage Access API to get cookie access.

Apple says this change simplifies cookie behavior for developers, lowers the memory footprint of Safari, and makes Intelligent Tracking Prevention compatible with more platforms.

A verified partitioned cache for cutting down on cache abuse for tracking purposes is also included, and as we covered earlier this month, support for Do Not Track has been disabled.

Apple says that it is removing Do Not Track because most websites never paid any attention to it since it was opt-in and could be ignored.
    Additional details on the Intelligent Tracking Prevention updates being introduced are available via Apple's full WebKit blog post.

Article Link: iOS 12.2 and Safari 12.1 for macOS Include Updated Intelligent Tracking Prevention Feature

2. swanseaboy macrumors member

If only we could have a functional cookie manager...

3. coolfactor macrumors 68040

In what sense? Can you give a specific scenario/problem that a cookie manager would solve?

4. AngerDanger, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Eh, I never liked that tracking prevention stuff. Just be smart, and advertisers won't learn a thing about you.

AD Targetted Advertisement 2.jpg

5. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Can you elaborate? Your screenshot doesn't seem to illustrate much other than you being interested in Singles sites.

Some ideas for people:
    1. Use Private Browsing for sites you don't want tracking you. This loads the site into a blank slate, with no existing cookies in place.
    2. Use /etc/hosts to block common ad-serving hosts. These load from 127.0.0.1 (localhost) and the requests will never leave your computer.

6. IRockThat828pScreen macrumors member

IRockThat828pScreen

this is beautiful, thank you sir

7. techguy9 macrumors 6502

techguy9

It’s a joke comment.

8. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

Well when I have that cross track thing enabled, places like jalopnik and io9 don’t work right. Never remember my login and I have to consistently log in.

9. IRockThat828pScreen macrumors member

IRockThat828pScreen

wooosh

10. AppleMad98004 macrumors 6502

Umm that was a joke comment. The joke was the singles ad.

11. MacBird macrumors 6502a

I agree, for example, Firefox allows you to delete cookies when closing the application.

12. techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

Use 1Password for that.

13. jtara macrumors 68000

So, I will stop seeing ads for the car parts I ordered two months ago, and long-ago installed on my car?

14. hagjohn macrumors 6502

hagjohn

I have a Crosstrek in my driveway... I mean, I always enable that as well. Oh well.

15. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I completely wipe cookies every time I think of it - say, every 1-3 days.

It's never been a negative.

Cookies aren't for users, they're for advertisers and people who want to track you.

Passwords aren't an issue with password fill.

16. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

This made my evening. Thank you.

I know of two things that can break the speed of sound: the Concorde, and that joke flying over your head.

17. fraczek123 macrumors newbie

But there is an error in newest Safari with cut/copy paste

command + x or command + c AND command + V keyboard Shortcuts do not work very often.

18. swanseaboy macrumors member

Yes, this!

19. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

I'm with you. I wipe my cookies out at the end of every session (easy to setup in Firefox for automatic) - specifically because I consider it a loosing proposition to keep them. Logging in is the price, but since my sessions last a couple of hours to my full user day its not bad (i.e. once a day), you get used to it.

20. TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502a

TheShadowKnows!

Third-Party cookies are the scourge of internet civilization as we know it. I curse on them!
    The web architecture has allowed a third-party Cookie Monster (although unimpeachably "cute") to monetize our behavior.
    [​IMG]

21. Red Oak macrumors regular

This is the stupidest thing I’ve read today

22. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Suspect Apple won't allow cookie clearing in a very easy way (e.g., on a schedule or when quitting Safari) as it's not advertiser friendly. They won't want to make Safari the nail that stands up.

23. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

All good, Apple. Now how about continuing to let apps like AdGuard update and keep pace with the changes in privacy? Blocking the pseudo-VPN route is preventing us from greater privacy protection. Also, how about improving the Safari content blocking? It’s all but abandoned from the get-go.

24. rictus007 macrumors regular

25. Crowbot macrumors member

Crowbot

I use Cookie 5, an App Store app that gives me fine control over cookies, databases, tracking cookies, Flash cookies and Silverlight data. It can be set to delete at intervals or when the browser is closed. Works with Safari and Firefox (and more, I assume)