Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iApplereviews

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
After updating my iPhone XS Max and iPad Pro 11" to iOS 12.2 Beta 1 i realized my Gmail account in mail was not working. It says "The mail server is not responding" thinking this was a Gmail issue i waited a few hours and tried again and still nothing. So i deleted my Gmail account from my iPhone and tried to readd it well it said it already existed and wouldn't let me. I rebooted and tried again this time i didn't get that error it just wouldn't add it just went back to the add account screen without doing anything. Same issue on my iPad as well. Keep in mind this account works fine in mail on my iPhone XR on 12.1.3 so it is only occurring in 12.2 and only with my Gmail account.

Reactions: eirikcerto

OC513

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
NYC
Had same issue with Gmail and an AOL email. It seems to be working now on beta 2. Fingers crossed.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Although Google Mail now works, I still cannot get AOL to work.

AOL Mail cannot be used in iOS Mail application even though it works and syncs with identically the same account and information when used in AOL application.

Login is correct but when using Settings/Passwords & Accounts, it freezes and never inserts the account into the Mail application.

OC513

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
NYC
Although Google Mail now works, I still cannot get AOL to work.

AOL Mail cannot be used in iOS Mail application even though it works and syncs with identically the same account and information when used in AOL application.

Login is correct but when using Settings/Passwords & Accounts, it freezes and never inserts the account into the Mail application.
I am now realizing today that my AOL that I thought was fixed with yesterdays update is not working properly. It asks me to re enter the password everytime I check it. It wont keep the password. I have tried everything from a hard reset of phone to deleting and re adding the account and it still asks me to re enter password every time I check it. VERY frustrating. Any one else having this issue?

Stromos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA
This is still a bug in Beta 2 my exchange email freezes the whole mail application. I can reboot the phone and it might start to sync new email but clicking a message causes a freeze again. Opening a feedback ticket with Apple.

Yr17

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2019
Had this issue immediately w my aol mail. I was using the aol app for a while but I discovered a better work around is to create an “app password” on aol’s security page and add it back into the regular mail app as an “Other” email account w the aol mail settings and that app password

I am now realizing today that my AOL that I thought was fixed with yesterdays update is not working properly. It asks me to re enter the password everytime I check it. It wont keep the password. I have tried everything from a hard reset of phone to deleting and re adding the account and it still asks me to re enter password every time I check it. VERY frustrating. Any one else having this issue?

Reactions: eirikcerto

eirikcerto

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2013
South Florida
After updating my iPhone XS Max and iPad Pro 11" to iOS 12.2 Beta 1 i realized my Gmail account in mail was not working. It says "The mail server is not responding" thinking this was a Gmail issue i waited a few hours and tried again and still nothing. So i deleted my Gmail account from my iPhone and tried to readd it well it said it already existed and wouldn't let me. I rebooted and tried again this time i didn't get that error it just wouldn't add it just went back to the add account screen without doing anything. Same issue on my iPad as well. Keep in mind this account works fine in mail on my iPhone XR on 12.1.3 so it is only occurring in 12.2 and only with my Gmail account.
Same here. I had to downgrade to 12.1.3 to get my aol mail working again. Verizon took over AOL and since then it’s been and on and off mess. Contacted AOL and they we’re no help at all. Tried to sell me a subscription for $39.99 a month for tech service. Called Apple and they are aware, but said they cannot do anything. It’s on AOL. I was using the AOL app before I downgraded back and it worked fine. Just goofy and unecessary though. The list of issues w iOS 12.2, beta or not is insane.
[doublepost=1550269584][/doublepost]
Had this issue immediately w my aol mail. I was using the aol app for a while but I discovered a better work around is to create an “app password” on aol’s security page and add it back into the regular mail app as an “Other” email account w the aol mail settings and that app password
It’s an AOL issue and Apple tech is aware. They told me there was nothing they could do. AOL has to correct the issue. Awesome isn’t it...

eirikcerto

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2013
South Florida
Delete the account(s) in settings and then go back and set up email as “other”.
Enter your email address, password and then when you get to the next screen it should look like the pic I posted and it will work. I am on an iPhone XS Max 12.2.2 with all my AOL accounts working this way now.
[doublepost=1550309159][/doublepost]
Enter your email address, password and then when you get to the next screen it should look like the pic I posted and it will work. I am on an iPhone XS Max 12.2.2 with all my AOL accounts working this way now.

Attachments

• 001AEE3B-61B8-4BB8-8CC7-3FA014D94BDE.png
    001AEE3B-61B8-4BB8-8CC7-3FA014D94BDE.png
    376.2 KB · Views: 208
  • 79C8AF32-7164-4577-BE37-CBBC0F37700E.png
    79C8AF32-7164-4577-BE37-CBBC0F37700E.png
    376.2 KB · Views: 189
Reactions: George Knighton

OC513

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
NYC
Awesome workaround. THANK YOU. Worked like a charm.

Stromos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA
Am I the only one seeing this with Exchange? It's happening to my work Office 365 email and my personal Exchange accounts. Emails will sync at random after several days. Then when I try to open a message the whole mail app freezes. I am really hoping this goes away in Public Beta 3 today. Only seems to be happening with exchange/O365. Completely deleting and readding the account made no email appear for about an hour then everything started syncing then syncing stopped again for new messages.

I downloaded the Outlook app and its working fine for now.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Hi GEORGE,

There are changes in build 16E5201e that may have resolved this issue. Is this issue fixed for you in this build? If you are still seeing this issue, please provide any reproduction steps so we may investigate further.

Are we all seeing relief in the latest beta?

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Things are not okay with me an Aol and I'm going to have to give up and transition.

There are ongoing problems that have begun to affect the reliable replication of mail across platforms and across devices. Keeping SELinus and Mac OS devices identically replicated is hopeless.

But I'd be okay if I could just keep iPad, iPhone, iMac and MacBook replicated identically.

At any given time, one of those devices will not work, and will repeatedly ask for the password even though it's the same password that's working on the other devices.

So...I've started the transition away from an Aol address that I've had since the 80's.

turton

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012
That was great. I've been struggling with reentering my password every hour for weeks now till I came across this post. Apple support were no good, and AOL support were no good. Thanks so much. I now have AOL mail again on my iPhone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.