iOS 12.3 Battery Life

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by theapplehead, May 14, 2019.

?

How’s your battery life?

1. Better

21 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Worse

25 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. Same

45 vote(s)
    49.5%
  1. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

Now that the first 24 hours since the release of iOS 12.3 have passed, I’m curious to know if users have noticed an increase or decrease in battery life. Personally I have noticed improved battery life after installing 12.3.

Take the survey and comment below!

2. sauria macrumors regular

sauria

Decrease on iPhone 8 Plus, and iPad Pro.

3. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

Pathetic battery life on my iPhone X and iPad Pro 10.5”.

4. iFone88 macrumors regular

iFone88

Probably exactly the same but people think it’s worse cos they keep turning their phones on to check their % :D

5. gwang73 macrumors 6502a

gwang73

Same good battery life as 12.2, iPhone XS.

6. AdamNC macrumors member

AdamNC

My battery life on my XR is awesome. The Same with my iPad. My wife is seeing the same. She also has an XR and iPad. Both of us took about 6 hours of use to get down to 66 % on the XRs and 4 hours on the iPads reduced it to 70%.

7. aakshey macrumors 65816

aakshey

Is that 6 hrs of SOT to get down to 66%?
    --- Post Merged, May 15, 2019 ---
    Same.

Not good on either. On iPhone its worse.

8. chillip macrumors 6502a

Mine is poor. Xs is faring fast when in use.

9. Buadhai macrumors member

Buadhai

My 6s has a battery that was replaced by Apple in February 2018 under the battery replacement program. Battery life dropped significantly after ten months. It really sucks now. I routinely put it in Low Power Mode and still have to recharge a couple of times a day.
    • I'd be very happy with a thicker phone that would last all day with a two year old battery.
    • I'd also be very happy with a thinner gut.
    Neither of the above is going to happen any time soon.

10. Juli93 macrumors newbie

Juli93

11. aakshey macrumors 65816

aakshey

Same. Doing Mail and Safari for 1 hour without a break at 60% brightness, on Wi-Fi drains my battery by 16% or so.

12. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Launch day iPhone X....battery life the same, and I used the crap out of my phone yesterday.

iPad Pro 12.9 gen 3 same too

13. MrGuder macrumors 68030

This has been my exact experience. I also have a 6s and got the battery replaced at Apple under the $29.00 recall on Oct 2018 and within 6 mos my battery took a huge drop. It’s even has a shutdown which turned on the perf management. Says not enough power was able to deliver. How can that be on a brand new battery? It also went from max capacity 100% 6 mos ago to now only 85%. Apple replaced with shoddy battery during campaign recall?

14. Buadhai macrumors member

Buadhai

I’d hate to think that was true, but it certainly seems possible.

One wonders if the original 6s batteries were sub par which resulted in the performance throttling in iOS 11 and the.subsequent replacement program.

15. aakshey macrumors 65816

aakshey

Screenshot of screen time?
    --- Post Merged, May 16, 2019 ---
    Possible. My dad got his SE’s battery replaced. It’s down to 65% after 12 months. It jumps from 1% to 89% and so on. The phone turns off whenever.

16. aakshey macrumors 65816

aakshey

I remember when iOS 11.0.1 launched, (I have a screenshot to prove it, on MR itself) my iPad Pro 10.5 used to last 11-13 hrs or so. And my iPhone 7 used to last like 7-8 hrs or so.

By the end of iOS 11 my iPad Pro used to last 8-9 hrs or so (brand new replacements) and my X used to last like 10 hrs or so.

By usage I mean SOT. So iPhone X was 9-10 hrs SOT I guess. iOS usage sometimes showed even higher. And no, my iPhone’s usage didn’t increase at all when on standby.

Now late into iOS 12 my iPad Pro 10.5 lasts around 6 hrs SOT. And my iPhone X 4-5 hrs SOT.

17. AdamNC macrumors member

AdamNC

It’s about 5 hours of Screen time and 1 hour of audio playback.

18. aakshey macrumors 65816

aakshey

On iOS 11 my X would get 4 hrs of SOR by the time it reached 66%. Or so.

And today even with a fresh battery I get 2 hrs of SOT before it reaches 66%.

On early versions of iOS 11 if I went to sleep with my X at 52% battery, I would wake up to it being 52%. Period.

And now even with a fresh battery I lose 5-10% overnight.

I’m pretty sure on iOS 13 the XR would get 3 hrs of SOT tops by 66%. :p

Apple wants people to upgrade to the latest iPhone each fall.

19. axari macrumors regular

axari

100% true :mad:

20. Expobill macrumors 65816

Expobill

The ipad battery is dwindling faster than Westerosians during a dragon invasion

21. theapplehead thread starter macrumors 6502

theapplehead

I have noticed something interesting with my iPhone battery when updating iOS. When I update OTA, my battery seems to perform more poorly than when I update via iTunes. For whatever reason, iTunes updates seem to be more stable and less "buggy" than OTA updates. Therefore, I consistently update iOS via iTunes unless some other reason prevents me.

I believe the primary reason that iTunes updates are more stable is due to the fact that they are the full iOS (2-4GB), as opposed to OTA updates (typically under 1GB if a user regularly updates) which only include the necessary changes to the previous iOS the iPhone is running on.

The only downside to updating via iTunes is if someone has slow internet or a data cap on their wifi network. Otherwise, iTunes is the preferred way to update IMHO.

What do y'all think? Who prefers iTunes to OTA iOS updating?

22. SkipperRi macrumors regular

SkipperRi

Frankly, I hardly can remember when I updated my iPhone via iTunes :( I’ll try for next update, because your theory is probably true.
    About battery life on latest iOS, it seems little bit better on iPhone X.

23. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I’m not even sure what screen time is. I think I had that shut off since the day it came out.

24. MrGuder macrumors 68030

I’m not sure it really matters OTA or iTunes. I know with iTunes it wipes the iOS off your phone and then reinstalls it which is why the download is larger and takes more time.

I do firmly believe that the iOS that ships with your iPhone is the marriage that was meant to preform the best. My iPhone 6s worked the best with iOS 9 not 9.1 and up to current....just 9.0 battery was perfect and phone super responsive never a glitch. Once you start adding all these updates to the iOS battery suffers and phone in general suffers.

25. theapplehead thread starter macrumors 6502

theapplehead

I agree with you that the iPhone and it’s shipped with iOS seem to outperform any other iOS later installed on that iPhone.

But I’ve heard and observed myself that when iTunes completely clears out and replaces the old iOS with the new one it makes the iOS less buggy and more stable since it is the complete iOS file as opposed to the OTA “patch.”

At the end of the day, I doubt that it is too significant of a difference between the two. I just feel more confident in iOS stability when updating via iTunes.