IOS 12 >> Air 2 ( ? )

Discussion in 'iPad' started by titrau, Sep 17, 2018.

1. titrau macrumors 65816

titrau

any air 2 jump to ios 12 yet ? how is it

share experience , thanks

2. danniexi macrumors 6502

typing this on my newly updated iPad Air. I haven’t used this iPad for my personal use in over two years since it was so slow. I’ve solely used this as my daughters youtube machine. iOS 12 actually makes it very very useable. I’m thoroughly shocked how quick and responsive everything is from opening/switching apps to typing and general internet browsing.

everyone, regardless of what they have, should update to iOS 12 immediately. I’ve only been using this for 20 minutes but I can already tell it is THAT good. Kudos to Apple for this update.

3. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68000

BugeyeSTI

My Air2 performs better on iOS12 than any other version including what it shipped with. Don’t hesitate to update, you won’t be disappointed

4. titrau thread starter macrumors 65816

titrau

just up done , work great and very like it :)

but i cant make video group call dont know why ???

how to make video group work on air 2 ???

5. snow755 macrumors 65816

snow755

face time group call was removed for IOS 12 but will return in later IOS 12 updates

6. Ralfi macrumors 68000

Ralfi

So far so good here. No dramas at this stage.

7. Sword86 macrumors regular

Wow....glad I came across this. My Air 2 has been a absolute dog since I bought it. It is soooo slow internet-wise and won't run certain websites properly. (like financial pages where dropdown boxes simply won't drop down...I have to use my Macbook for those ) I have even tried some apps that simply fail to work as well. I'm downloading and installing 12 as we speak.

Thanks

S

8. Sword86 macrumors regular

Geez...I have an Ipad that actually works now. What a diff 12 makes.
    Wow. S

9. Ralfi macrumors 68000

Ralfi

Very unlucky with your Air 2. Most people love them. I can't believe it's lasted this long..4 years?

10. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

Haven't updated mine and it's actually running really well on ios 11. I'll update it now

11. purpleparrotuk macrumors 6502a

purpleparrotuk

Keyboard layout has changed the smilies and punctuation keys have swapped compared to the iphone and its really annoying.

12. Diiiiips macrumors regular

Really? I find that hard to believe. I'm still using 9.3.3 on mine and it works great.

It would be helpful if people wrote what OS they've upgraded from.

13. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I kept on hitting the emoji keyboard the other night instead of the number keyboard button. So I deleted the emoji keyboard and it’s now fixed. If for some reason I ever need the emoji keyboard back (highly unlikely for me as I’ve never used it in the first place) I can just add it back later on in the keyboard settings.

14. Ralfi macrumors 68000

Ralfi

You two should demo both the Swifkey & G-Board (Google) keyboards. Swipe typing will change everything.

G-Board is also a shorter keyboard, so you have more screen to see whilst typing.

Swiftkey's better at predicting common words you've used from its memory.

They're both great & I find myself rotating between the two whilst the Apple keyboard remains disabled.

15. willentrekin macrumors regular

willentrekin

I use my Air 2 daily. I've had it in the beta program, which was fine, but last night removed that and upgraded to iOS 12. Noticeable speed boost. Hoping I'll see some battery improvement, too.

Then again, plan to upgrade to the new smaller Pro next month. But it's stunned me I've been using this Air 2 daily for so long. I think four years now? Even the battery is standing up fairly well.

16. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68000

BugeyeSTI

When I got my Air2 it came with iOS 10 and I upgraded every time an upgrade was offered. I felt it worked best on iOS 10.3.5 until iOS12. I upgraded from iOS 11.4.1

17. O.N.Y.X macrumors member

So you're saying the release version is even faster than the beta? I guess I'm going to update then. I've test driven the beta on my iPhone SE and the experience was decent. Technologically, the Air 2 is older than the SE though.

18. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

I was going to give my iPad Mini 2 away and then I undated to IOS 12 and now it like new again! Very happy!

19. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

That’s amazing.

20. willentrekin macrumors regular

willentrekin

That's been my experience so far. The only hiccup I've seen is that it didn't connect straightaway to my home internet. A quick reset of the router fixed that one.

Otherwise, it feels less jaggy. Mind you, I'd been perfectly happy with performance before, but I'm definitely noticing a smoother experience now.

21. O.N.Y.X macrumors member

Updated my Air 2 and I’m quite happy with the result. It’s the best iOS for this old iPad imo. The buggy keyboard and its lag from iOS 10 are gone. Performance is great considering the age of the Air 2. I only noticed some slowdowns when the 2 Gb of RAM fill up too much. The pros clearly outweigh the cons though. iOS 12 highly recommended for the Air 2!

22. fricotin macrumors regular

Great update, a definite speed boost and the battery seems to last longer as well.

23. Warhawk15 macrumors regular

Warhawk15

Been good for me.

A little faster and the new gestures are interesting.

Otherwise not much that has really changed my normal usage from what I can tell.

24. Alphazoid macrumors 6502a

Alphazoid

25. drlunanerd macrumors 68000

drlunanerd

Memory management is noticeably better on the iPad Air 2 with iOS 12.
    Safari refreshes less and Twitter app doesn’t reload as much as iOS 11.