Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
When Apple puts features that cause old devices to be slow because they have difficulty supporting it: OMG they should have released the update without those features for old devices! PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE!!!

When Apple releases an update but some features are not on older devices: OMG those devices could run those features! PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE!!!

When an update makes an older device run badly: OMG it was fine on last OS, they should have retired it instead of giving it one update too much! PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE!!!

When Apple retires an older device while it still works fine with its latest supported OS: OMG it's still working fine on its latest supported OS version, they could have given it another year! PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE!!!

Apple releases update full of features that bring lots of bugs: OMG they don't optimize on purpose! PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE!!!

Apple releases update based on performance and optimization: OMG now they optimize to repair all the bugs of last OS! They clearly do PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE!!!

I could go on and on with opposite scenarios that somehow all lead to planned obsolescence accusations. Anything Apple does has become linked to planned obsolescence, just like the "Apple is dying" thing. If they release a buggy features update, they are dying, but if they release a performance update, they are also dying because there's not enough new features. I'm not saying Apple is perfect, they are not. For all we know, there might really be planned obsolescence, but we have no proof of that. A device slowing down is not proof of that. It doesn't mean with certitude that they slowed it down on purpose. iOS 12 being faster is not proof of that. Bugs are inevitable in an OS, and with iOS 11 and its numerous big problems throughout the year, Apple probably realized that they needed to optimize it better this year. Just like any good company that releases a buggy OS would do. I think the reason the planned obsolescence accusations are not taken seriously anymore and are easily dismissed is because every scenario possible has been turned to mean planned obsolescence.

Also, on the subject of Apple Watch S0, when WatchOS 5 comes out, it will have been 3.5 years since it came out, which is pretty much what I expected its lifetime would be considering it was already pretty slow at that time and battery barely lasted a day. Also, why would you consider upgrading a watch that you still think works fine for what you use it for just because it can't have the latest OS, if you are also not interested in newer models and OS features?

Each and every scenario you mentioned can be resolved with downgrade support. An option supported by Apple’s competitors.

I do admit I have zero knowledge on development and all but leaving a device on an OS which is slow and forcing the owner to stay on it and tolerate the slowdown is planned obsolescence. Release every damn version for 5 years and give the customer the option to switch.

Result- Everyone is happy on whichever version they like. At the moment my Pro is still on iOS 10 as going to 12 is like venturing into the unknown and if I don’t like it, I am SOL.

Apple certainly has the resources to provide security fixes for multiple ios versions as Microsoft and Google do.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
When Apple puts features that cause old devices to be slow because they have difficulty supporting it: OMG they should have released the update without those features for old devices! PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE!!!

When Apple releases an update but some features are not on older devices: OMG those devices could run those features! PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE!!!

When an update makes an older device run badly: OMG it was fine on last OS, they should have retired it instead of giving it one update too much! PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE!!!

When Apple retires an older device while it still works fine with its latest supported OS: OMG it's still working fine on its latest supported OS version, they could have given it another year! PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE!!!

Apple releases update full of features that bring lots of bugs: OMG they don't optimize on purpose! PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE!!!

Apple releases update based on performance and optimization: OMG now they optimize to repair all the bugs of last OS! They clearly do PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE!!!

I could go on and on with opposite scenarios that somehow all lead to planned obsolescence accusations. Anything Apple does has become linked to planned obsolescence, just like the "Apple is dying" thing. If they release a buggy features update, they are dying, but if they release a performance update, they are also dying because there's not enough new features. I'm not saying Apple is perfect, they are not. For all we know, there might really be planned obsolescence, but we have no proof of that. A device slowing down is not proof of that. It doesn't mean with certitude that they slowed it down on purpose. iOS 12 being faster is not proof of that. Bugs are inevitable in an OS, and with iOS 11 and its numerous big problems throughout the year, Apple probably realized that they needed to optimize it better this year. Just like any good company that releases a buggy OS would do. I think the reason the planned obsolescence accusations are not taken seriously anymore and are easily dismissed is because every scenario possible has been turned to mean planned obsolescence.

Also, on the subject of Apple Watch S0, when WatchOS 5 comes out, it will have been 3.5 years since it came out, which is pretty much what I expected its lifetime would be considering it was already pretty slow at that time and battery barely lasted a day. Also, why would you consider upgrading a watch that you still think works fine for what you use it for just because it can't have the latest OS, if you are also not interested in newer models and OS features?

WatchOS 5 does not run any slower than WatchOS 4 so Apple could have provided it to S0 by stripping it of WebKit functionality and a few other features. Ability to edit the control panel, walkie talkie, the minor design changes could have been easily handled by S0.

I don’t like using unsupported hardware. When support is dropped I typically sell it off. 400 bucks for just 3 year support is pretty bad imo considering Motorola, a company known for horrendous updates under Lenovo on Android supported their Watch for 2 years.

Anyway I am getting the S4 in September as I glance at my wrist ever so often and I cant live without it at this point and the X Plus and Watch will make a nice pair

Micool1

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2014
Each and every scenario you mentioned can be resolved with downgrade support. An option supported by Apple’s competitors.

I do admit I have zero knowledge on development and all but leaving a device on an OS which is slow and forcing the owner to stay on it and tolerate the slowdown is planned obsolescence. Release every damn version for 5 years and give the customer the option to switch.

Result- Everyone is happy on whichever version they like. At the moment my Pro is still on iOS 10 as going to 12 is like venturing into the unknown and if I don’t like it, I am SOL.

Apple certainly has the resources to provide security fixes for multiple ios versions as Microsoft and Google do.
I do agree that they should leave an option to downgrade. It's not like they have never released a security fix for an earlier iOS version. I don't think it would be much more trouble to keep the last version of a major OS available and it would stop a lot of complaints.
[doublepost=1528481828][/doublepost]
WatchOS 5 does not run any slower than WatchOS 4 so Apple could have provided it to S0 by stripping it of WebKit functionality and a few other features. Ability to edit the control panel, walkie talkie, the minor design changes could have been easily handled by S0.

I don’t like using unsupported hardware. When support is dropped I typically sell it off. 400 bucks for just 3 year support is pretty bad imo considering Motorola, a company known for horrendous updates under Lenovo on Android supported their Watch for 2 years.

Anyway I am getting the S4 in September as I glance at my wrist ever so often and I cant live without it at this point and the X Plus and Watch will make a nice pair
That's fair, but only a small minority of people are like that. Most people I know don't even care about updates or if their device can get it. Most of them don't even realize there's an update available since their phone is nearly full so they don't get an update prompt because the phone can't download the update on its own.

Reactions: Radon87000

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
What corrupted software? You update the phone in the settings from one version to another why would the software be corrupted, that's a ridiculous invented myth just like the "re-indexing" of iOS for the first days.
Not in the least!

https://www.howtogeek.com/142743/htg-explains-why-you-should-perform-clean-installs-not-upgrades/

Most issues are fixed with a clean install of iOS. A yearly wipe can do no harm. I spend about 10 minutes each year to make sure my system is fresh. Continue to do what you do.
[doublepost=1528482276][/doublepost]
So you’re saying Apple shouldn’t have done what they did on iOS 12?
I don’t get it. Apple decided to focus on performance and fixing issues in iOS 12. I think that’s a good thing. No need for for some conspiracy thoughts.
When did I say they shouldn’t do what they did? I’m stating the cause and effect of the situation.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Or they couldn't be without it being compromised even more. Then we would have been hearing complaints how Apple crippled people's S0 devices and how it's planned obsolescence. Or how Apple is holding back on various features for S0 devices and is barely providing anything in the update which is basically just an insult and it's planned obsolescence. As usual, it's all pretty much always back to damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Or they couldn't be without it being compromised even more. Then we would have been hearing complaints how Apple crippled people's S0 devices and how it's planned obsolescence. Or how Apple is holding back on various features for S0 devices and is barely providing anything in the update which is basically just an insult and it's planned obsolescence. As usual, it's all pretty much always back to damned if you do, damned if you don't.
I take it you haven't used an S0. It was already slow on WatchOS4. But a Watch doesn't need to be fast. Recording workouts, replying to notifications, streaming music. It did those basic tasks fine and would have in WatchOS5 as well. Even when I get a Series 4, that's all I will use it for.

Apple knows speed is a pathetic excuse for dropping support as it was never fast to begin with. It's a wearable and should get more support than a tablet or a phone otherwise people would just switch back to mechanical watches.

The reason Apple forcefully made the S0 obsolete is because they know they are the only contender on the market in smart watches and they can do whatever they want. Google still hasn't figured out Android Wear. Supposedly, Pixel Watch and Samsung gear running Android Wear are launching his year so maybe some competition will light a fire under Apple as if Moto was supporting their 360 for 2 years, I expect the Pixel Watch to be supported for 3+ years.

Removing features is not planned obsolescence as it maintains the speed of the device and I wish Apple would do something like this with iPhones. The iPhone 6 GPu clearly cannot handle the enhanced transparency of iOS 12 and it should be removed

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I take it you haven't used an S0. It was already slow on WatchOS4. But a Watch doesn't need to be fast. Recording workouts, replying to notifications, streaming music. It did those basic tasks fine and would have in WatchOS5 as well. Even when I get a Series 4, that's all I will use it for.

Apple knows speed is a pathetic excuse for dropping support as it was never fast to begin with. It's a wearable and should get more support than a tablet or a phone otherwise people would just switch back to mechanical watches.

The reason Apple forcefully made the S0 obsolete is because they know they are the only contender on the market in smart watches and they can do whatever they want. Google still hasn't figured out Android Wear. Supposedly, Pixel Watch and Samsung gear running Android Wear are launching his year so maybe some competition will light a fire under Apple as if Moto was supporting their 360 for 2 years, I expect the Pixel Watch to be supported for 3+ years.

Removing features is not planned obsolescence as it maintains the speed of the device and I wish Apple would do something like this with iPhones. The iPhone 6 GPu clearly cannot handle the enhanced transparency of iOS 12 and it should be removed
All interesting conjectures. What I said still stands just as well.

Suspended
Nov 19, 2015

You say you don’t have any knowledge of software development, and yet you make all these unsupported, sometimes nonsensical, claims about the very thing.

Edit: You have a problem when they remove features to maintain usability, like in case of the Watch. And you have an even bigger problem when they push in all the features -- which would slow the older devices -- so everyone gets to enjoy them, like with the iPhones. How would you like to solve the riddle if it were up to you?

Last edited:

Princejb134

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Too late. I waited a whole year for 4 revisions of iOS 11 but enough is enough. Swapped the sim card into my Android development phone and switched to using it full time last month.

Not gonna bother with a holy war on which device is better... my iPhone X or the Android device. But... just to say, it's already too late.

If not because I need the iPhone X for development, it would be gone already.
Yet your in a Apple forum trolling on how great your android is *face palm*

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
You say you don’t have any knowledge of software development, and yet you make all these unsupported, sometimes nonsensical, claims about the very thing.

Edit: You have a problem when they remove features to maintain usability, like in case of the Watch. And you have an even bigger problem when they push in all the features -- which would slow the older devices -- so everyone gets to enjoy them, like with the iPhones. How would you like to solve the riddle if it were up to you?

Already posted the solution above. Support the devices for 5 years and support multiple versions of the OS and enable easy switching between them so everyone is satisfied. Let the customer decide whether the phone is fast or slow. If Google can support a 3 year OS with security updates then Apple can too. If Apple believes its software is top notch, lets see that marketing chart maintain its fragmentation with this option available.

Decouple Safari and all the stock Apple apps from the OS and place them on the App Store like how Microsoft and Google do so that users who opt to remain on iOS 8 get the latest Safari and all the app updates without slowdown or battery drain. Currently if an iPhone 6 user on iOS 8 wants to use the latest version of Safari, he has to tolerate a slower phone. Reserve OS updates for new features and optimisations of the OS.

I firmly believe Google has their update policy firmly nailed with their Pixel and Nexus series and its better than Apple. I find it more customer friendly as it does not trap or force the user to tolerate a slower phone. If I don't like something I can go back and try it out a later time

In absence of this and Apple being the only consumer company who doesn't do this and coupled with the fact that they shipped a throttle in the OS without telling anyone and conveniently the moment this scandal unfolds, they come out all guns blazing on older devices with astonishing improvements like 2X faster app launches and 70% faster camera launch, all this tells me is they were doing absolutely nothing all this time and since they were caught, this is an attempt at redemption.

Last edited:
Reactions: -Maxim-

Micool1

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2014

But that is all subjective. You might think speed doesn't matter on your watch because you personally only use it for basic functions, while other people think the slow watch is intolerable. Just like you think the small home button delay on iPhone is a deal breaker while other people don't care about it or don't even realize it's there in the first place.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Not saying that I don't appreciate them fixing the performance of iOS in general (which is why I appreciate iOS) but the fact of the matter is they are basically giving themselves a free pass for this year's iOS due to the fact that they haven't been able to keep up performance with iOS (even on the flagship device) over the years.

With that said, the conference did seem a little embarrassing to me for apple, but most people won't care. I think it's safe to say that while apple does have a lot of resources, and like others have said could easily use that to overhaul iOS, or other important side projects (that don't require massive teams, which apple's organizational structure doesn't prefer) that would continue to drive their OS forward - they don't, and won't operate that way.

No company is unlike this though, they are simply resting on their laurels (sales/profits), even though iOS 11 sucked.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Already posted the solution above. Support the devices for 5 years and support multiple versions of the OS and enable easy switching between them so everyone is satisfied. Let the customer decide whether the phone is fast or slow. If Google can support a 3 year OS with security updates then Apple can too. If Apple believes its software is top notch, lets see that marketing chart maintain its fragmentation with this option available.

Decouple Safari and all the stock Apple apps from the OS and place them on the App Store like how Microsoft and Google do so that users who opt to remain on iOS 8 get the latest Safari and all the app updates without slowdown or battery drain. Currently if an iPhone 6 user on iOS 8 wants to use the latest version of Safari, he has to tolerate a slower phone. Reserve OS updates for new features and optimisations of the OS.

I firmly believe Google has their update policy firmly nailed with their Pixel and Nexus series and its better than Apple. I find it more customer friendly as it does not trap or force the user to tolerate a slower phone. If I don't like something I can go back and try it out a later time

In absence of this and Apple being the only consumer company who doesn't do this and coupled with the fact that they shipped a throttle in the OS without telling anyone and conveniently the moment this scandal unfolds, they come out all guns blazing on older devices with astonishing improvements like 2X faster app launches and 70% faster camera launch, all this tells me is they were doing absolutely nothing all this time and since they were caught, this is an attempt at redemption.
There is no scandal, or there is a scandal in some peoples' minds.

Apples business model is a take it or leave it. You can try to float your vision of apples business model to tcook@apple.com and see where it goes. Maybe this is in the plan.

Apple has had in the pipeline for a while. Contrary to what people may think, Apple has a multi-year and does not operate by the seat of their pants. A performance true-up has been in the works for a while and is not because "they were caught" as you falsely declare.

There is no planned obsolescence meme, there is no hidden agenda. This is apple being apple since the "glory" days of Steve Jobs.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
There is no scandal, or there is a scandal in some peoples' minds.

Apples business model is a take it or leave it. You can try to float your vision of apples business model to tcook@apple.com and see where it goes. Maybe this is in the plan.

Apple has had in the pipeline for a while. Contrary to what people may think, Apple has a multi-year and does not operate by the seat of their pants. A performance true-up has been in the works for a while and is not because "they were caught" as you falsely declare.

There is no planned obsolescence meme, there is no hidden agenda. This is apple being apple since the "glory" days of Steve Jobs.
It's already been leaked they were planning a home screen redesign for iOS 12 and it was pushed forward because of the recent scandals.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Nobody knows apples rational for most of what they do, except for the Apple inner circle or anything specifically stated by apple. Any conjecture in the leaks, is just that. Conjecture.
You can believe that but in my opinion the fact that Apple postponed the redesign to iOS 13 and this happened right after Throttlegate and for the first time in a decade a successor is faster than a predecessor proves Apple wants to reclaim some of their lost goodwill. After all Tim Cook did give a no comment answer when he was asked what effect the battery replacement program will have on sales.

Hence I say Apple is doing the right thing for now but they may resume their forced obsolescence in iOS 13 under the guise of a redesign costing performance as people will have forgotten this fiasco by then.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
You can believe that but in my opinion the fact that Apple postponed the redesign to iOS 13 and this happened right after Throttlegate and for the first time in a decade a successor is faster than a predecessor proves Apple wants to reclaim some of their lost goodwill. After all Tim Cook did give a no comment answer when he was asked what effect the battery replacement program will have on sales.

Hence I say Apple is doing the right thing for now but they may resume their forced obsolescence in iOS 13 under the guise of a redesign costing performance as people will have forgotten this fiasco by then.
If Apple "resumes" with this so called "forced obsolescence" that you believe in, will you continue buying Apple products?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Fair enough. We each can believe what we want. It's the quick fix it because they were caught, vs this has been planned like this for a while and now it's being executed. Just don't claim the "leakers" really had more knowledge than anybody else.

I'm sure there are people who will claim, apple is "reclaiming" goodwill and most of them are on MacRumors. But apples revenue proves Apple has plenty of goodwill. And what does a no comment answer from Tim Cook have to do with this, given he previously commented on it and was a headliner in the MacRumors thread.

Companies either force customers to buy new products by sabotaging their products or they don't. They don't flip/flop every other year. This is proof enough the planned obsolescence meme is just that.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
If Apple "resumes" with this so called "forced obsolescence" that you believe in, will you continue buying Apple products?

I always buy a new device every year. It doesn't bother me that much nowadays as its not only Apple who does this. If I swore never to buy from companies who engage in this practice, I wouldn't be able to build a gaming PC or enjoy a ecosystem. Its sad but it is what it is.

I will jump ship though if Google came out with a Watch and Tablet. Heck even if they do come out with just the Watch this year, I will give it a serious consideration.
[doublepost=1528553880][/doublepost]
Fair enough. We each can believe what we want. It's the quick fix it because they were caught, vs this has been planned like this for a while and now it's being executed. Just don't claim the "leakers" really had more knowledge than anybody else.

The leakers did have explicit knowledge about the redesign being pushed to ios 13. They got it from a letter Craig wrote to the employees to focus on performance

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I always buy a new device every year. It doesn't bother me that much nowadays as its not only Apple who does this. If I swore never to buy from companies who engage in this practice, I wouldn't be able to build a gaming PC or enjoy a ecosystem. Its sad but it is what it is.

I will jump ship though if Google came out with a Watch and Tablet. Heck even if they do come out with just the Watch this year, I will give it a serious consideration.
[doublepost=1528553880][/doublepost]

The leakers did have explicit knowledge about the redesign being pushed to ios 13. They got it from a letter Craig wrote to the employees to focus on performance
But you don't know the rational is the point. You're making assumptions. Obviously the employees have to know what the end game is.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I'm sure there are people who will claim, apple is "reclaiming" goodwill and most of them are on MacRumors. But apples revenue proves Apple has plenty of goodwill.
Exactly the point of planned obsolescence. Revenue increases. Nothing to do with goodwill. The goodwill was harmed after people had already bought the products

And what does a no comment answer from Tim Cook have to do with this, given he previously commented on it and was a headliner in the MacRumors thread.

He did not explicitly say that the battery replacement program did not affect sales. Which means it did. So this was a way to make up for what Apple did

Companies either force customers to buy new products by sabotaging their products or they don't..

They do until they get caught.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Exactly the point of planned obsolescence. Revenue increases. Nothing to do with goodwill. The goodwill was harmed after people had already bought the products

He did not explicitly say that the battery replacement program did not affect sales. Which means it did. So this was a way to make up for what Apple did

That isn't how logic works. Why do simple things need to be so obviously twisted?

Future-Proof

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2018
Not too late. I welcome this move to go all out in optimizations for older devices. But still no dark mode. The only last itch.

Go to Settings: General: Accessibility: Display Accommodations: Invert Colors: Smart Invert.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Who was harmed? By the last earnings call doesn't seem that many people seemed to have lost their goodwill towards apple. Yeah, I'm sure some people claim they were pissed off, but it didn't seem to affect the earnings.

Sounds like your making an assumption.

Apple hasn't been caught and customers (based on revenues) don't appear to have your view of apple.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Who was harmed?
They have lost the goodwill of mainly the guys who upgraded to newer phones unaware of this and this issue came out in full public view.

By the last earnings call doesn't seem that many people seemed to have lost their goodwill towards apple. Yeah, I'm sure some people claim they were pissed off, but it didn't seem to affect the earnings.

Because you don't know how many were affected by Throttlegate. Many of those who did had already bought newer phones unaware of this. For instance, the Air 2 was getting too slow for my needs. Hence I bought a newer iPad. How am I supposed to know if it was a hardware flaw? The Apple Store wont even replace the battery until it qualifies their arbitrary number. Those who were affected by slowdowns and Throttlegate already bought newer phones by the time this came out.

Which is why Apple was ignoring this issue till it became more widespread. Now that everyone knows about it, Apple has a job on their hands trying to convince everyone there was nothing nefarious going on. Hence the refund for batteries despite no proof being there whether phones were throttled and an iOS 12 update.

Sounds like your making an assumption.
He did not say sales weren't affected which means they where. If they weren't he would say so. He has the data after all. It was a nicer way of saying Yes.

Apple hasn't been caught and customers (based on revenues) don't appear to have your view of apple.

You were here on these very forums saying this was anecdotal and Apple would not respond and boy did they respond all right. I am getting a refund of that iPhone 6 battery replacement I did last here. And I know how miserly Apple is when it comes to stuff like this. This is a company which tried to save costs on an underfill and VESA mount screws.

Throttlegate and Touch Disease and slowdowns affect older phones. Many of these customers have al;ready upgraded to newer models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.