iOS 12 Beta Lets Apple Music Subscribers Search for Some Songs Using Lyric Phrases

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 5, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A Reddit user has discovered that the first beta of iOS 12 includes a Music app feature that allows Apple Music subscribers to search for songs using lyric phrases.

As the image below shows, using the search phrase "Loving you isn't the right thing to do" - the first lines of Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way" - successfully returns the relevant song, and quotes the lyrical phrase in the single's entry in the results.

[​IMG]

MacRumors can confirm that the lyric search does work, but seemingly not yet for all songs with lyrics in the Apple Music archive. Several beta testers on Reddit also chimed in to confirm the feature. As Reddit user abrb3192 notes:
    Assuming the feature makes the final release of iOS 12, Apple Music subscribers should be able to discover songs for which they don't know the name, but only know a select lyric that they can recall hearing as part of a song.

In Apple Music in iOS 11, scrolling down on the "Now Playing" window brings up an option to show song lyrics on most Apple Music songs. Lyrics are not available for all songs, especially new releases, so that might be the reason for the hit and miss results in the iOS 12 beta.

Article Link: iOS 12 Beta Lets Apple Music Subscribers Search for Some Songs Using Lyric Phrases

2. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502

Mac-lover3

That's actually very nice, better search is needed. Could this be because they purchased Shazam (even though they already had the lyrics)?

3. windywalks macrumors 6502

Great, since I usually don't remember the title but remember the chorus or some out of left field part of the song.

4. Ventilatedbrain macrumors regular

What if I have a desiiiiiiiigner song stuck in my head .. AHAAA bet they didn’t think of that did they ?

That’s it . I’m switiching to blackberry

5. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Great for when I want to find songs I don’t know the title for.

6. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

This is excellent. I just hope asking Siri to play a song by quoting lyrics works too!

7. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Highly doubtful. Having the lyrics is the key to matching a song by typed lyrics. Not the songs musical fingerprint.

8. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Finally!

This is how most people try to recall songs that they vaguely remember, they like the lyrics, they can sing some of the lyrics, and they love the tune/rhythm, but they have a hard time recalling the actual title of the song.

9. unipnthr macrumors newbie

unipnthr

This will be a great addition; my only concern is if it will require an exact match. I am horrible with lyrics so normally I am off when trying to search by songs. Google seems to be more forgiving in search results than Siri