iOS 12 Beta Supports Face ID Rescans With Swipe Up Gesture on iPhone X

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 5, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As more users sign onto the first beta for Apple's iOS 12, new discoveries are quickly being made, with the latest centering upon a simple but highly useful new gesture for iPhone X owners.

Currently, when you hold up the iPhone X and Face ID fails, you either have to lower it and raise it again, or press the side button to put the iPhone to sleep and wake it up through another side button press or tapping the display. You can also tap "Cancel" after the failure then swipe up to start over. All of these methods will reactivate a Face ID scan.

[​IMG]

As discovered by Redditor shakil-ali, Apple has provided a slightly simpler way to rescan your face in the iOS 12 beta: now when the biometric security feature fails multiple times you can swipe up from the bottom of the iPhone X to get Face ID to scan again, without having to tap or press another button first. This should help to alleviate a small but sometimes frustrating part of unlocking the iPhone X with Face ID.

In regards to other hidden features of iOS 12, we have collected a bunch in a tidbits roundup posted yesterday. These include setting up an "alternate appearance" for Face ID, a new QR code scanner in Control Center, a revamped Battery Usage section in settings, and more.

As a whole, Apple announced iOS 12 with a focus on user privacy and digital health, and when the update launches in the fall iPhone and iPad owners will be able to keep track of everything they do on their devices with features like "Screen Time" in Settings.

Article Link: iOS 12 Beta Supports Face ID Rescans With Swipe Up Gesture on iPhone X

2. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

Just tried this and it works. A really nice fix for an annoyance I had some times.

3. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

Is this actually new? Have I imagined it or have you been able to do this for a while on iOS 11. Since upgraded to the beta so can’t check

4. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

Neat! Having to move the phone away to rescan is annoying, and sometimes it isn't feasible to enter your passcode.

5. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

6. Agneev macrumors member

Can I trigger this with a Siri Shortcut?

7. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

It's definitely news.

8. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Loving iOS 12 so far, iOS 11 was too rushed for the X

9. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Don't you mean the X was too rushed for iOS 11? :cool:

10. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Finally. I hate relocking and then turning the screen back on after Face ID fails.

11. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

But typing in your passcode is how it learns right?

12. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

The prompt to swipe up for Face ID is undoubtedly new, but I'm convinced you could actually swipe up on the enter passcode screen to re-initiate a Face ID scan on iOS 11.

13. Neryus macrumors member

I actually think this is a myth. It never helped in any situation for me.

14. spazzcat macrumors 68030

spazzcat

Maybe this works a little different, but I been doing this since iOS 11.

15. roundaboutmusic macrumors newbie

I guess I’m installing a beta for the first time ever...

16. jamiebrown6 macrumors member

Article is wrong or misleading. The prompt might be new but since iOS 11 you just swipe up to rescan.

17. _Dubs_ macrumors newbie

It’s definitely not new, this is how I’ve always triggered a re-scan.

18. joshuamj macrumors newbie

It’s accurate! If FaceID fails once on iOS 11, you can swipe up to retry. But if it fails twice and the keypad appears, you’re forced to type your passcode (or lock and unlock to try again. See screenshot.) iOS 12 allows you to swipe up when the keypad is shown.

[​IMG]

19. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

Amazing. I never knew you could do this. Judging from comments, a lot of other people didn’t know either.

20. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I could be wrong, but I don’t think swiping up triggers a rescan in iOS 11. If your password screen comes up, you can hit cancel, which retriggers Face ID. You then swipe up to go to the home screen. This series of interaction may lead some to think they are swiping up to retrigger a scan, when they are really just swiping up to go to the home screen like always.

Then again, I may be totally wrong.

21. Neryus macrumors member

It‘s just not true. You need to either move the phone to a different direction or tap cancel and reswipe.

People that are saying they do this in iOS 11 are lying or not understanding the issue correctly.

22. bigboyz12000 macrumors member

bigboyz12000

I was hoping an OS update would fix this. I mean, FaceID is supposed to be fast, easy and natural. It is until it doesn't register on the 1st attempt. It then becomes the bane of your existence and has you wanting the HomeButton back! Appreciate the fix.

23. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

Some of these things could have been done in iOS 11.3 or something.

24. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I have to do this all the time! So glad they made this easier. Hopefully the Face ID module is better in the next version, or I at least get a unit that works better than what I have now.