Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iOS devices do you think will receive iOS 12

• All devices that received iOS 11 will also receive iOS 12

Votes: 46 45.1%
  • A8 devices and newer (iPhone 5s, iPad Air & iPad Mini 2/3 dropped)

Votes: 39 38.2%
  • Devices with at least 2 GB of RAM (iPhone 5s, 6/6+, iPad Air, iPad Mini 2/3 & iPod Touch 6 dropped)

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • Something else (comment below)

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
What does everyone think Apple will do with device support with iOS 12? With iOS 11 dropping support for 32 bit devices was obvious, however this time I'm not sure whether Apple will continue dropping the oldest generation of devices (i.e. anything with an A7 chip), or keep supporting them for another year since there isn't a huge difference in performance between the A7 and the A8 (compared to what there has been other years). Dropping devices with only 1 GB of RAM seems like the next obvious move, but I suspect that iOS 12 is too early to drop support for the iPhone 6/6+.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I think this might be another year where everything gets carried over. Though the iPad air and iPad mini 2 sound like they're beginning to really struggle with the 1gb RAM (iPhone 5s sounds like its still doing ok with it) - so could this be a year where Apple divides by RAM amount rather than processor generation, or do you think they're done with that now?

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I think this might be another year where everything gets carried over. Though the iPad air and iPad mini 2 sound like they're beginning to really struggle with the 1gb RAM (iPhone 5s sounds like its still doing ok with it) - so could this be a year where Apple divides by RAM amount rather than processor generation, or do you think they're done with that now?
They’re still selling the iPod touch which has 1gb RAM.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
They’re still selling the iPod touch which has 1gb RAM.
That's more similar to a 5s though, the higher resolution iPads seem to struggle more, I assume because more of the RAM is used up as VRAM leaving less for system and app use. It goes without saying hey won't cut off something thats still being sold, and I don't suppose the 6 and 6+ will go yet, so I guess some 1gb support will remain. I think the last time they differentiated on RAM was between the iPhone 4 and iPad (1) so there is some precedent, but they haven't done it for quite a while.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not sure. While they seem to be on a pattern of dropping chip generations all at once now, they've only really been doing that for 3 years now, so I don't think anything is set in stone.
[doublepost=1517268823][/doublepost]
Most likely they’re either dropping A7 or dropping nothing. They’re still selling the A8 in more than one product.
Yes, I agree.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Not sure. While they seem to be on a pattern of dropping chip generations all at once now, they've only really been doing that for 3 years now, so I don't think anything is set in stone.
With the iPad and iPhone 4 it was seemingly ram that saw the iPad left on iOS 5 and the iPhone go through to iOS 7 - though thinking more about it, possibly the gpu in the A4 might have been the real issue there. Again, I think most probably this will be a year where everything gets carried over again though. Perhaps they will drop all a7 and a8 1gb devices together on iOS 13 seeing as the ram is probably the biggest bottleneck on all of them? That’s effectively giving a7s an extra year and a8s going out ‘on schedule’.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That's more similar to a 5s though, the higher resolution iPads seem to struggle more, I assume because more of the RAM is used up as VRAM leaving less for system and app use. It goes without saying hey won't cut off something thats still being sold, and I don't suppose the 6 and 6+ will go yet, so I guess some 1gb support will remain. I think the last time they differentiated on RAM was between the iPhone 4 and iPad (1) so there is some precedent, but they haven't done it for quite a while.
Yeah, I don't own any so I can't comment for sure but I think it's the iPads with 1gb and the iPhone 6+ that are struggling more. 1gb still seems to be acceptable on devices with lower resolution screens. That said I honestly can't see Apple cutting off the iPad Air & Mini 2/3 before the iPhone 5s. I can see there being a possibility that A8 devices with 2gb of ram might be supported longer (i.e. iPad Air 2 & Mini 4 receiving an extra update over the 6/6+), but that's more a question of what will be supported by iOS 13.
[doublepost=1517270129][/doublepost]
With the iPad and iPhone 4 it was seemingly ram that saw the iPad left on iOS 5 and the iPhone go through to iOS 7 - though thinking more about it, possibly the gpu in the A4 might have been the real issue there. Again, I think most probably this will be a year where everything gets carried over again though. Perhaps they will drop all a7 and a8 1gb devices together on iOS 13 seeing as the ram is probably the biggest bottleneck on all of them? That’s effectively giving a7s an extra year and a8s going out ‘on schedule’.
Yep, that's certainly a possibility. Would you think they would support the A8 devices with 2 GB of ram for an extra year as I mentioned above then?

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Guaranteed support
A9 and newer

Likely support
A8 and newer

Highly unlikely
No device dropped

Even more unlikely -
Unlikely drop
If A8 + 2GB is supported then it is unlikely that 1GB RAM devices will be dropped.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Yeah, I don't own any so I can't comment for sure but I think it's the iPads with 1gb and the iPhone 6+ that are struggling more. 1gb still seems to be acceptable on devices with lower resolution screens. That said I honestly can't see Apple cutting off the iPad Air & Mini 2/3 before the iPhone 5s. I can see there being a possibility that A8 devices with 2gb of ram might be supported longer (i.e. iPad Air 2 & Mini 4 receiving an extra update over the 6/6+), but that's more a question of what will be supported by iOS 13.
[doublepost=1517270129][/doublepost]
Yep, that's certainly a possibility. Would you think they would support the A8 devices with 2 GB of ram for an extra year as I mentioned above then?
Possibly, the 2gb ram does seem to make a huge difference to iPads and I think the mini 4 was released alongside the A9 devices (and is still being sold)

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It’ll be based on processor for sure.

Let’s look at this from a holistic approach based on corporate strategy. Not from a geeky spec-based perspective.

Apple never advertises RAM for a reason. It’s not part of their marketing strategy.

iOS features are based on Apple application processors. It’s something consumers can relate with and clearly identify the generation of a device. Apple operating systems are linked to features provided by Apple application processors.

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
Hopefully they drop support for 6S and lower. They need to start dropping 3yr old devices so that they can optimise the OS better. I get why they want to support as many devices as possible. But it's making them less creative as they have to build in that support.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Hopefully they drop support for 6S and lower. They need to start dropping 3yr old devices so that they can optimise the OS better. I get why they want to support as many devices as possible. But it's making them less creative as they have to build in that support.
Heard the same with iOS 11. “The performance will be better when they drop 32bit devices. ” we know how that turned out. :rolleyes:

Optimizing can and must be done regardless of older devices existence just as it has been in the past. Dropping support is not a magic fix.

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
Drop support for a device they are still selling as new?

Here's something simple. They could always stop selling it new when they release iOS 12. It will be 3yrs old then. They have to stop support at some point and a 3yr old phone shouldn't get a new update.

Any device stuck on a previous iOS hasn't received a Spectre and Meltdown Fix. My iPad 3 stuck on 9.3.5 as an example.

They could still sell new if they wanted and just ship it with the latest version of iOS 11. But to me they should stop selling the phone and stick with 7, 8 X and the 2018 successors. 2019 should then see the drop of the 7 series etc etc

Heard the same with iOS 11. “The performance will be better when they drop 32bit devices. ” we know how that turned out. :rolleyes:

Optimizing can and must be done regardless of older devices existence just as it has been in the past. Dropping support is not a magic fix.

App performance is down to the app developer not Apple.

Dropping support for older devices means they can optimise the performance to work as they want on the better internals. So it is a 'magic fix' as it makes less work for them.

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Here's something simple. They could always stop selling it new when they release iOS 12. It will be 3yrs old then. They have to stop support at some point and a 3yr old phone shouldn't get a new update.

Any device stuck on a previous iOS hasn't received a Spectre and Meltdown Fix. My iPad 3 stuck on 9.3.5 as an example.

They could still sell new if they wanted and just ship it with the latest version of iOS 11. But to me they should stop selling the phone and stick with 7, 8 X and the 2018 successors. 2019 should then see the drop of the 7 series etc etc

App performance is down to the app developer not Apple.

Dropping support for older devices means they can optimise the performance to work as they want on the better internals. So it is a 'magic fix' as it makes less work for them.
So they would be selling it from June to September having announced it won’t be getting 12 then? As @Paddle1 says, less devices doesn’t mean better support. The newer ones are always optimised first and more rigorously anyway.

Reactions: d123 and T909

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Well with today's news about dumping new features to work on old stuff, AGH, I wouldn't drop support for anything. Also means new devices aren't needed to specifically run IOS12 core. Frankly this news, if turns out to be true will push me to finally start getting out of the Apple structure. Same OS for years, minor additions, no power user options... time to move on.

Reactions: nortonandreev

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Highly unlikely as they are still selling A8 and A9 based devices (some of which were released less than a year ago). Maybe if Apple still released basic security updates for the previous 2 versions of iOS (like they do with macOS) then this might be a viable option. That said the A9 is plenty fast enough to run the latest software.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
When you drop the 5s you might aswell drop the 6 cause they aren't that far apart from each other in terms of raw power AFAIK.

My guess is all devices that got 11 get 12.

Reactions: ediks and T909

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I think due to iOS 8 being the second most buggy release ever, iOS 9’s focus was on improving performance and reliability. I can see why A5 devices were supported an extra year due to that reason (iPad 2 got six major iOS versions).

If we follow the same logic, iOS 12 would support A7 devices. But it’s a 50/50 for them, in my opinion.

Reactions: alphonseM

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
I think if iOS 12 is meant to be a refinement to iOS 11 then no devices will be dropped. The features that are delayed from iOS 12 will roll out in 2019 with limited support on iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
My guess is that they're going to throw iOS 12 to the 5S because of how bad 11 was and how good it makes them look if they fix it.

Reactions: T909

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I think due to iOS 8 being the second most buggy release ever, iOS 9’s focus was on improving performance and reliability. I can see why A5 devices were supported an extra year due to that reason (iPad 2 got six major iOS versions).

If we follow the same logic, iOS 12 would support A7 devices. But it’s a 50/50 for them, in my opinion.
Wait, if iOS 8 was the 2nd most buggy iOS release ever, what, in your opinion, is the buggiest??
And I agree, the announcement that iOS 12 is going to focus on performance and stability increases the odds that A7 devices will be supported, but it’s still only 50/50 at this point.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Wait, if iOS 8 was the 2nd most buggy iOS release ever, what, in your opinion, is the buggiest??
And I agree, the announcement that iOS 12 is going to focus on performance and stability increases the odds that A7 devices will be supported, but it’s still only 50/50 at this point.
iOS 11, without a doubt. I don’t even think that’s subjective at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.