Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
though SE is discontinued.. 12.0 is spectacular

just got it today upgrading from 11.2 jailbroken (and my 9.7 pro which was on 10.2 jailbroken,)
I also have another SE on 10.2 I'm never updating bc I have Philips hue hooked gestures to turn them on and off with ease among other things, and nostalgia.

I was briefly on 11.2 with this device (a month or two, got a clearance SE prepaid recently) and it wasn't terrible but I instantly notice a difference and look forward to upgrading my7+ X and 12.9 2017 when a jailbreak comes out. I like knowing whats in store and staying cognizant of new features/stability/performance/etc. even tho I'm a jailbreaker in general.

The verdict isn't out on battery because I just upgraded but I OTA'd and went smoothly

This thing runs like BUTTER

safari and camera and other native apps launch nearly instantaneously like they're already in the RAM

I cant recall the last time Ive been this happy with a x.0 release as a first impression.

the features are anemic but I'm ok with that-- I much much much prefer snow leopard like releases over a few whatever features and deprived performance. plus I customize it to my liking eventually anyways with jailbreak so performance and stability from apple work for me! 11.3 really isn't terrible on my newish devices anyways but 12 will be that much more polish!

someone pointed out every 6 years we get pure polish of the dead horse that is beaten design wise

iOS 6 was king. now 12 may be for some time before a potential re-design, and restarting of bugs (hopefully not and they learned their lesson long term and long run, but who knows)

as a side note, I really like X gestures on iPad, and the dark-mode media player that is now stock

Stacked notifications that intelligently stack as needed is nifty too

Im a little weirded out by the new status bar on iPad that feels like an X port, and top right CC instead of consolidated CC + multitasking cards on iOS 11 (that made more sense to me personally, this is change for changes sake but maybe I’m nit adjusting in a day) and the new camera app look in messages where the photos icon used to be engrained In my psyche (and still is for the bulk of my devices).

also not a big fan of emoji where the alt keyboard used to be, or something to that effect. Im seeing emojis more than I want to invoke them.

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I have invoked the emoji keyboard a lot without meaning to. Frustrating. Glad you like iOS 12. I have been very pleased with it during the DB process.

always some steps backwards, but id put it at 3 steps forward 1 step backwards as a preliminary take.

More good than bad, by far.

If they don't know what they want to do with the user experience, stability and optimization aside, they should stick with that by all means.

if new features and tons of bugs or little to no features and polish are mutually exclusive, ill take the latter any day of the week despite moaning of lack of innovation and stuff. a well oiled machine works for me.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
No complaints with iOS 12 whatsoever on my iPhone SE and iPad Pro 10.5. I love the changes they did to the iPads. The emoji button was a weird change but not bad enough to complain about. iOS 12 is the new iOS 6. iOS 12 may be the version I’m going to keep on the SE unless iOS 13 proves me otherwise. The device feels like I just bought it the year it came out. Battery life is pretty good, too.

iPhone 10... Apple needs to take advantage of the OLED. They haven’t done anything, at all.

Reactions: thadoggfather

JaxTeller

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2017
No complaints with iOS 12 whatsoever on my iPhone SE and iPad Pro 10.5. I love the changes they did to the iPads. The emoji button was a weird change but not bad enough to complain about. iOS 12 is the new iOS 6. iOS 12 may be the version I’m going to keep on the SE unless iOS 13 proves me otherwise. The device feels like I just bought it the year it came out. Battery life is pretty good, too.

iPhone 10... Apple needs to take advantage of the OLED. They haven’t done anything, at all.

is the battery life really ok?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.