Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
I did a clean install this morning via iTunes. Still the same draining problem. Hey Siri and background refresh for all apps off. Location services switched off except for a few things.

iOS 12 is certainly the issue for me.
What are the stats saying about what apps and what time of the day the battery is being wasted more? Can you post a screenshot here?

iOS 12 now says at which moment the battery has been reduced most. I guess it's either some app or some specific iOS setting that is causing this.

By clean install I am sure you have set up the device as new and not restored from a previous backup, right? I set up mine as new and only logged into my Apple ID after I downloaded all apps again, and reconfigured iOS. Of course since I did an iCloud backup prior to erasing all my data/settings I was able to save some notes for Notability/GoodNotes and a few things such as bookmarks for Safari. *

* When I logged into my Apple ID these were back again. As for my photos/videos saved in camera roll I downloaded them to my hard drive, since Apple only offers 5 GB and I don't pay for storage. I suggest using Google Drive (15 GB each free account) if you don't have where to put them.

CreamEggBear

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2016
Burham
What are the stats saying about what apps and what time the battery is being wasted more? Can you post a screenshot here?

iOS 12 now says at which moment of the day the battery has been reduced most. I guess it's either some app or some specific iOS setting that is causing this.

By clean install I am sure you have set up the device as new and not restored from a previous backup, right? I set up mine as new and only logged into my Apple ID after I downloaded all apps again, and reconfigured iOS. Of course since I did an iCloud backup prior to erasing all my data/settings I was able to save some notes for Notability/GoodNotes and a few things such as bookmarks for Safari. *

* When I logged into my Apple ID these were back again. As for my photos/videos saved in camera roll I downloaded them to my hard drive, since Apple only offers 5 GB and I don't pay for storage. I suggest using Google Drive (15 GB each free account) if you don't have where to put them.

Yep, set the phone up as new and had the hassle of installing and setting apps up again but thought I may have had a rouge app or setting causing problems from the update.

Even lost some activity data through the process.

No matter what I’m doing the battery seems to drop a % every minute or two. If I stream music, or listen offline through my AirPods it drains very severely.

I have even noted a drain in my 6th gen iPad but due to a larger capacity/newer battery it doesn’t seem as bad.

I would downgrade to 11.4.1 but I’m not sure if watch OS5 will work with it. I’m guessing not.

47726bc52f2342038404d02db582817e.png
5501bd61ee7c19758864988df7b2c716.png
28eeef3d3687ce74a964a7998b0e2116.png

Reactions: myrtlebee

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
Well, that's kind of why I was asking. But how are you telling that given that in iOS 12 it doesn't really tell you screen time or even standby time since last charge anymore?

Yes it does. You can see here as follows:

The circled area shows when it was last charged and to what percentage.

The red arrow shows the point it was at 100% and started to drain

The yellow arrow shows when it was last charged to the 92%

The blue arrow shows the screen on time.

2d1d87c9d9f602c5fb57f83cf05da34f.jpg

16a4582bdc95ce4f6182014c51a3f926.jpg

So if I hadn’t plugged my phone in to a fast charger whilst using google maps today (second screenshot) I would be able to click on the bar chart and see the screen on/off time for each hour from the 100% and what was draining the battery the most within that hour period. It even tells you if an app was in use whilst connected to the charger.

I’m not sure why people say the battery stats aren’t detailed? You can’t really get much more detailed.

Yes they could make it a bit clearer by either

(a) - Putting an information page on apple to explain the battery stats or even a series of screens when you first open it.

(b) - Have the stats reset as soon as it reaches 100%.

But the battery section in iOS 12 gives a bucket load of detail now.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes it does. You can see here as follows:

The circled area shows when it was last charged and to what percentage.

The red arrow shows the point it was at 100% and started to drain

The yellow arrow shows when it was last charged to the 92%

The blue arrow shows the screen on time.

2d1d87c9d9f602c5fb57f83cf05da34f.jpg

16a4582bdc95ce4f6182014c51a3f926.jpg

So if I hadn’t plugged my phone in to a fast charger whilst using google maps today (second screenshot) I would be able to click on the bar chart and see the screen on/off time for each hour from the 100% and what was draining the battery the most within that hour period. It even tells you if an app was in use whilst connected to the charger.

I’m not sure why people say the battery stats aren’t detailed? You can’t really get much more detailed.

Yes they could make it a bit clearer by either

(a) - Putting an information page on apple to explain the battery stats or even a series of screens when you first open it.

(b) - Have the stats reset as soon as it reaches 100%.

But the battery section in iOS 12 gives a bucket load of detail now.
You can get a lot of detail, but some basic overall stats since the last charge that were easily available before now require unnecessary extra time reading of different graphs and addition and subtraction of this or that to figure it out.

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
You can get a lot of detail, but some basic overall stats since the last charge that were easily available before now require unnecessary extra time reading of different graphs and addition and subtraction of this or that to figure it out.

Hence me saying apple could do more to enable people to understand it better.

I think, since they got caught with their pants down over the whole slow down issue, they have gone to the extreme with information overload.

It took me a bit to get the hang of. But once you have more than a couple of days in there if you click on the no. of days tab (10 days in my case) then it gives you a break down of screen on/off time for that day and what apps used the most. But you could have charged it twice that day.

I agree It would be much simpler if it reset every full charge rather than show a 24hr period. Still keep the rolling days up to 10 as now. But the first screen should be since last full charge to save people having to delve in and do some maths.

Reactions: sbcdk

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hence me saying apple could do more to enable people to understand it better.
It's even simpler than that, they could simply leave the two pieces of information they have been providing for years along with all the new things they added.
[doublepost=1538247819][/doublepost]
I agree It would be much simpler if it reset every full charge rather than show a 24hr period. Still keep the rolling days up to 10 as now. But the first screen should be since last full charge to save people having to delve in and do some maths.
Yup, basically that.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
Yep, set the phone up as new and had the hassle of installing and setting apps up again but thought I may have had a rouge app or setting causing problems from the update.
Did you disable Background App Refresh for all apps? I really mean ALL apps, disable this completely.

I would also suggest modify location services to "only when in use" for all apps, instead of "always", and of course disable for those you don't need this.

And do this, too:

Disable App Store’s Automatic Updates

App Store automatic installs app updates in the background, but if you’re not too keen on updating all your apps, you can turn this off by going to Settings > iTunes and App Store > scroll down to the Automatic Downloads section and turn off the “Updates” switch. While you’re there, you can also tell iOS to not use cellular data for automatic downloads and iTunes Match streaming.

Dimming the screen helps to extend battery life. You can either lower the default screen brightness based on your preference or turn on Auto-Brightness to allow the screen to adjust its brightness based on current lighting conditions. In iOS 11 and later, Apple has moved the Auto Brightness settings. You can access it by launching the Settings app, and navigating to General > Accessibility > Display Accomodations and set Auto-Brightness to On. Note: Apple enables it by default.

My current setting is 30-40% and no more than that. Sometimes I increase to watch certain videos. More brightness = less battery available (and it's not good for your health/eyes. With newer devices you can safely decrease brightness and the screen still looks good).

Last edited:
Reactions: max2

CreamEggBear

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2016
Burham
Did you disable Background App Refresh for all apps? I really mean ALL apps, disable this completely.

I would also suggest modify location services to "only when in use" for all apps, instead of "always", and of course disable for those you don't need this.

And do this, too:

Disable App Store’s Automatic Updates

App Store automatic installs app updates in the background, but if you’re not too keen on updating all your apps, you can turn this off by going to Settings > iTunes and App Store > scroll down to the Automatic Downloads section and turn off the “Updates” switch. While you’re there, you can also tell iOS to not use cellular data for automatic downloads and iTunes Match streaming.

Dimming the screen helps to extend battery life. You can either lower the default screen brightness based on your preference or turn on Auto-Brightness to allow the screen to adjust its brightness based on current lighting conditions. In iOS 11 and later, Apple has moved the Auto Brightness settings. You can access it by launching the Settings app, and navigating to General > Accessibility > Display Accomodations and set Auto-Brightness to On. Note: Apple enables it by default.

My current setting is 30-40% and no more than that. Sometimes I increase to watch certain videos. More brightness = less battery available (and it's not good for your health/eyes. With newer devices you can safely decrease brightness and the screen still looks good).

All the above has been done already.
Thanks for the advice, it is appreciated

Time for a battery replacement? I have one booked for Monday. Tried going yesterday but hit a traffic jam.

Fredrikl

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2016
I have updated two devices, iPhone 8 plus and iphone 6S plus from iOS 11.latest to 12.
I have noticed after the iOS12 update the battery drains faster, and the devices simply overheat by putting them close together in my car. This was not happening before iOS12 update. I play pokemon go, and iOS12 update makes both devices vastly inferior.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
All the above has been done already.
Thanks for the advice, it is appreciated

Time for a battery replacement? I have one booked for Monday. Tried going yesterday but hit a traffic jam.
That's odd. Your picture indicates otherwise, I saw "background activity" for the "Music" app, which wasted 29%. Also background activity for the App Store, which wasted 6%. Are you using some cover that heats the device when charging? I only use those sold by Apple (except for the rear one by Khomo).

I also disabled ALL notifications (banners, sounds, etc.) except for a few apps such as Facetime, Skype, Find My Iphone/iPAD... A few more settings I use here:

- Do Not Disturb = disabled

- Auto brightness = disabled. 28% is the current level, or 38 when I watch movies.

- Automatic lock after 15 minutes, and when I close the Smart Cover (it wakes when I open)

- Night Shift = disabled (I'll reenable in the future when start reading books, when I watch videos I don't use this)

- Mail = it will only search for new messages when I open the app

- Location services = only when in use for all apps, disabled for most. I enable only for those that won't work without it.

- Siri = 100% disabled

- Not using passcode or Touch ID

- Wi-fi and bluetooth permanently disabled (iOS internal settings), instead of temporarily. I use ethernet adapters and for bluetooth only when I want to use the Pencil. Otherwise both off all the time.

- Celular data = disabled (the green icon in iOS 12). Not using a SIM card, so not needed.

Most of the time I use this iPAD to watch videos (nPlayer Plus). Even Youtube videos I prefer to watch offline.

If there's something wrong I am not seeing yet.

w3bcJx6g.png

HIaAlp1.png

CreamEggBear

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2016
Burham
The background for Music was when I was listening to music through my AirPods offline with the screen off.

The App Store was just updating a few apps.

Background refresh for all apps is off though. Mail is set to push but I only have one account.

I have exactly the same settings as 11.4.1 and I can honestly say that I’ve openly lost about 20-30% of my battery life.

As I type this I have lost 2% battery. Something is draining my battery and even after a clean install I still have the same problem.

It must be iOS 12.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I have exactly the same settings as 11.4.1 ...

It must be iOS 12.

This is exactly what none of these people responding seem to understand. This is the only statement that matters. If your settings are the same as on 11.4.1 then the problem is iOS 12, not anything you are doing wrong. People don’t seem to understand this simple common sense concept.

Reactions: CreamEggBear

CreamEggBear

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2016
Burham
This is exactly what none of these people responding seem to understand. This is the only statement that matters. If your settings are the same as on 11.4.1 then the problem is iOS 12, not anything you are doing wrong. People don’t seem to understand this simple common sense concept.

If I remember correctly iOS 11 was exactly the same for me.

I think .0.1 or .0.2 resolved the issue but it does seem worse this time around. I’m not even making it through the day and I’m actually using my phone less.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
If I remember correctly iOS 11 was exactly the same for me.

I think .0.1 or .0.2 resolved the issue but it does seem worse this time around. I’m not even making it through the day and I’m actually using my phone less.
"If I stream music, or listen offline through my AirPods it drains very severely."

Then this must be some bug related to bluetooth. The Airpods keep broadcasting all the time to your device, except when they are in their charger case. I advise you to do another test: reset the Airpods/remove them from your Apple ID, "forget" them in your devices and try to pair them again.

Or better yet: don't use them for a day or two after you "remove" them as explained above. And while you are doing this test leave them in the charger case.

This is the procedure after you "forget" them in your iPhone:

- Open the lid, hold down the button on the case until the light is flashing white.

I think Apple should be contacted about a battery replacement, the 92% battery health I am seeing isn't an indication of anything. Perhaps a few batteries can't handle these iOS versions and start behaving erratically. *

* Either that or planned obsolescence.

Last edited:

CreamEggBear

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2016
Burham
"If I stream music, or listen offline through my AirPods it drains very severely."

Then this must be some bug related to bluetooth. The Airpods keep broadcasting all the time to your device, except when they are in their charger case. I advise you to do another test: reset the Airpods/remove them from your Apple ID, "forget" them in your devices and try to pair them again.

Or better yet: don't use them for a day or two after you "remove" them as explained above. And while you are doing this test leave them in the charger case.

This is the procedure after you "forget" them in your iPhone:

- Open the lid, hold down the button on the case until the light is flashing white.

In your case I think Apple should be contacted about a battery replacement.

Thanks for the advice but I use my AirPods mostly with my iPad when I’m on my treadmill.

I can 100% say that it is not caused by Bluetooth. I can literally send a message and then check the weather and the battery % will drop every minute or so.

I have a genius appointment tomorrow and although my battery health is 92% I will insist they replace it.

iOZZY

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2013
Stamford, England
My SE is booked in for a genius appointment, Apple chat agreed with me after running diagnostics that a 10 month old iPhone SE shouldn’t be getting peak performance battery issues and dramatic battery % drops. It’s reporting 100% maximum capacity and I had no problems with it prior to 17th September.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I'm not definitely saying it is the cause but I wonder how much battery Screen time uses - since it has to measure everything you do it must take some battery usage. Try turning if off - not just the notification but turning if off in settings. I have it off because I don't care about it and my battery is fine. Again, not saying that it is the cause but people should try it and see if it makes any difference.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
My SE is booked in for a genius appointment, Apple chat agreed with me after running diagnostics that a 10 month old iPhone SE shouldn’t be getting peak performance battery issues and dramatic battery % drops. It’s reporting 100% maximum capacity and I had no problems with it prior to 17th September.

Interesting to see their excuse. It’s not your phone, it’s iOS 12.

I'm not definitely saying it is the cause but I wonder how much battery Screen time uses - since it has to measure everything you do it must take some battery usage. Try turning if off - not just the notification but turning if off in settings. I have it off because I don't care about it and my battery is fine. Again, not saying that it is the cause but people should try it and see if it makes any difference.

Interesting. This is the first comment that may make some sense since screentime is an iOS 12 new feature. I turned it off and will report my findings after a day’s use tomorrow. The only thing that makes me hesitant to say this is the issue is that many people who have not turned off this feature aren’t haven’t battery issues.

Reactions: CreamEggBear

CreamEggBear

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2016
Burham
Just an update for you all chaps.

I took my iPhone 7 in for a battery replacement only to be told that they didn’t have any batteries in stock.

As I had a bit of spare cash I traded in my iPhone 7 for an iPhone 8 (can’t justify £1000 to the wife for a phone).

Restored the iCloud backup and still see the battery drain issue. I can’t be bothered to do a fresh install to be honest.
The battery health of the iPhone 8 is obviously 100%. You could argue that it is indexing and needs a few charge cycles but I’m still guessing it’s iOS 12 in need of further optimisation.

The Apple employee stated that they had received many complaints of battery life issues but wouldn’t go into further detail obviously.

I have taken the above point regarding screen time though. I currently have my iPhone, iPad and son’s iPad being monitored. I have since turned them off and will report back.

Last edited:

penguinan

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2018
Also experiencing worse battery life since updating from 10 to 12 on my SE. My 6 has had no such issues. All the more odd since my SE was the one with amazing battery life. Weirdest part is that the battery percentage drops in batches. It'll be a 50% and then drop to 48 or 47% while I'm looking at it (not doing anything major, not using GPS or watching a video). I've been through plenty of updates and never seen this before.

When I did the update, I was charging but the battery percentage still dropped 10% and the SE was REALLY hot after. Battery health at 90%

I have a 7plus 128mb & battery health of 94%. Since upgrading to 12.0 my battery is draining rapidly. Wish I never did the update.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
Worst update ever in terms of battery efficiency. It’s doesn’t matter what I do on my phone I barely make it through half the day.....iPhone X user with Apple Watch.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Saw a thread on the Apple Subreddit saying that Screentime might be the culprit of the iOS 12 battery drain too.

Have turned it off since... will see if it really helps to increase battery life to normal.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Saw a thread on the Apple Subreddit saying that Screentime might be the culprit of the iOS 12 battery drain too.

Have turned it off since... will see if it really helps to increase battery life to normal.
Turned it off last week, but it hasn't changed anything in terms of battery one way or another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.