Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vexxx

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Tried to show the stuttering when screen recording is running in the background and it doesnt stutter anymore (not looking at the video of the screen recording)

If no screen recorded in the background it stutters again
Seems even more that there is more aggressive throttling to save battery than on X. If so, people who do not have this might have something on the background that prevents it.

By the way, does this happen when phone is on charger? Would think that then there would be no need to throttle.

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2016
Yeah thats the same. I tested it today with battery saving mode on and its the same too. Only apple can fix this by optimizing ios 12.

Reactions: Vexxx

MOTiiVHATE`

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Seems even more that there is more aggressive throttling to save battery than on X. If so, people who do not have this might have something on the background that prevents it.

By the way, does this happen when phone is on charger? Would think that then there would be no need to throttle.
Yup happens on the charger, that was my though as well.

Not too sure what people have running in the background that would prevent this.
[doublepost=1538162909][/doublepost]
Yup happens on the charger, that was my though as well.

Not too sure what people have running in the background that would prevent this.
Heh. I just enabled background app refresh, hey Siri, True Tone, and set weather location to always and it no longer lags. It does indeed seeem to be aggressive throttling, too aggressive imo. I usually have all of those settings off.

Reactions: Vexxx

Vexxx

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Heh. I just enabled background app refresh, hey Siri, True Tone, and set weather location to always and it no longer lags. It does indeed seeem to be aggressive throttling, too aggressive imo. I usually have all of those settings off.
I had those off too.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Performance has been stellar. Smooth as butter just as I expect from Apple.

iOS 11 was a crap-show and it made me dislike my X everyday.

MOTiiVHATE`

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Wanna follow up on this. I’m not Lew’s biggest fan, but this video is proof some iPhone XS and XS Max have issues when in idle state. If not proof some people do and do not have performance issues, it shows there is some kind of inconsistency; interesting in the least.

yozh

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2008
Seems to be a lot of issues with this launch, so far Im seeing this lag issues, no charging and huge problems with radios, WiFi especially terrible :( I wonder of all of this have to do with power mgmt or the new A12 chip power efficiency. Sad such a great phone !

Reactions: calibru_2good_4u

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems to be a lot of issues with this launch, so far Im seeing this lag issues, no charging and huge problems with radios, WiFi especially terrible :( I wonder of all of this have to do with power mgmt or the new A12 chip power efficiency. Sad such a great phone !
You are experiencing all of those?

calibru_2good_4u

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2016

I with you , I have all of those problems on Xs max , maybe the next update will solve them ...

yozh

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2008
You are experiencing all of those?
Not all, charging issue I havent seen, but wifi is bad, LTE also gets weird at times, I do get freezes and stutter but not at all times. Im starting to see also phone getting hot time to time ...

But all of this issue seem to be related to some kind of power mgmt issue, it could very well be the new A12 and the switching to low power cores. I dont know, but there is a big wide spread issue.

EDIT: this doesnt seem normal for an “s” model, but this is strange year, with an “s” model with out a predecessor model. For the MAX, but we did have X last year and new Xs are also having basically same issue...

alisex747

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
same issue on my XS.
Stutters disappear when screen recording is activated.
I restored the iPhone as new : the stutters disappeared, then I restored my data and stutters appeared again.
I hope iOS12.0.1 will fix it.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
same issue on my XS.
Stutters disappear when screen recording is activated.
I restored the iPhone as new : the stutters disappeared, then I restored my data and stutters appeared again.
I hope iOS12.0.1 will fix it.

After you restore your data do a settings reset. Could be some crud coming in with the backup.

calibru_2good_4u

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2016
I did it.
No change.

I found the problem , Xs and Xs max are throttled!!!! If you set a white wallpaper and you rise the brightness to 100 % the phone will stuttering and lagging as hell ...so when they consuming energy the phone becomes slow and it’s stuttering .. Again , Apple is throtteing our phones ...

alisex747

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
iOS 12.1 beta 2 did not solve the stutters issue.
Really frustrating.
I am even not sure that it will be fixed in a next release

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Only issues I encounter are the settings app locking up for a few seconds (presumably when it was purged from RAM?). My photos app froze and crashed once too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.