Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Does anyone know if the OTA updates in iOS12 still require WiFi? I cant stand this limitation.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I think my question was not clear. I understand that upgrading from any iOS to 12 requires WiFi, but I am wondering once on iOS 12 will any other consecutive updates still require WiFi in order to apply? If think it is time for Apple to offer an option to apply updates or even download App Store apps without Wifi if one wishes so.

Reactions: r_will76

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think my question was not clear. I understand that upgrading from any iOS to 12 requires WiFi, but I am wondering once on iOS 12 will any other consecutive updates still require WiFi in order to apply? If think it is time for Apple to offer an option to apply updates or even download App Store apps without Wifi if one wishes so.
You can download App Store apps/updates up to 150 MB (or perhaps more at this point) without WiFi. Doesn't seem like the requirement for WiFi has changed when it comes to iOS updates so far.

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Does anyone know if the OTA updates in iOS12 still require WiFi? I cant stand this limitation.
I guess we'll find out as soon as the 2nd beta is released. I also think we should at least have the option to choose wifi only or mobile data for OS updates. I understand the reason they put this in place (stability of connection, help reduce customer data charges, etc.) but most people have pseudo unlimited data plans now that could easily handle these updates. Some people actually get faster download speeds from mobile data than they do from their home internet!

Reactions: r_will76 and mlody

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I guess we'll find out as soon as the 2nd beta is released. I also think we should at least have the option to choose wifi only or mobile data for OS updates. I understand the reason they put this in place (stability of connection, help reduce customer data charges, etc.) but most people have pseudo unlimited data plans now that could easily handle these updates. Some people actually get faster download speeds from mobile data than they do from their home internet!

This is exactly my point. For instance, my mother only has iPhone with t-mobile unlimited service and Wi-Fi iPad (she is using hotspot from her iPhone to use the iPad as she has no home internet). She is unable to use a lot of Apple services because of the Wi-Fi limitations and I am forced to keep updating her iOS or even bigger apps because she cant do it over her cellular connection.

Last edited:

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Hear hear.. the cellular data nannying has been a thorn for years now, they should allow the carrier profile files at least to completely disable all limits for where truly unlimited data is available.

PocketRocketGQ

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
There are streaming apps, that use the same amount or more data than these updates. Yet we can't download an app or update more than 150MB without WiFi. Apple could put a toggle switch, that gives you the choice to update/download with a disclaimer that additional charges may incur for data usage. Netflix does it so why can't Apple!

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
I'm sure its some agreement they have with the cellular companies... They probably don't want people downloading 1GB updates at the same time and bringing down their networks...

That said, I do wish they would allow it too!! LET ME BURN MY DATA IF I WANT TO!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.