Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new iOS 12 update includes several new password related features that are designed to make it easier for iPhone, iPad, and Mac users to create strong, secure, and unique passwords for each and every login. All of the features were outlined yesterday by Apple in the Platform State of the Union address for developers.

Apple is implementing new tools for creating, storing, and autofilling passwords to streamline and simplify the way passwords work on iOS devices.

applesecurepasswords-800x490.jpg

Apple will automatically suggest strong, unique passwords, with iOS 12 offering the tools to create, store, and retrieve passwords no matter where an account is created, with these new features working in both third-party apps and Safari alike. Many developers won't need to make changes to their apps to support these features, which means we should see widespread availability.

You will no longer open up an app and encounter an experience where you need to make up a password on the spot (which often leads to weak passwords) or exit an app to generate a secure password. Apple will now offer these tools right within apps.

All of your passwords will be stored in iCloud Keychain no matter where they are created and they are synced across all of your devices.

Also new in iOS 12 is a feature that lets you ask Siri to get your passwords. With a simple command like "Siri, show me my passwords," Siri will open up your iCloud Keychain after you authenticate your identity with a fingerprint, a Face ID scan, or a passcode.

Apple also plans to let users know when a password is weak or has been reused by flagging inadequate passwords. With flagged passwords, you'll be taken right to the website the password is for so you can update it with something more secure.

To streamline two-factor authentication functionality, a new security code autofill feature is being implemented. Incoming SMS security codes will appear in the Quick Tap bar of the keyboard when you need two-factor authentication to complete a login. The security code will show up as soon as it's texted to you so you can enter it with a tap. This unfortunately does not work for third-party two-factor authentication apps like Authy.

twofactorautofill-800x860.jpg

For third-party password apps, such as 1Password or LastPass, Apple is adding a new Password Autofill Extension that will let these password management apps to supply autofill passwords in apps and Safari, making it much easier to enter a password stored in an app like 1Password or LastPass. 1Password showed off this feature in a video shared yesterday and announced plans to support it. These passwords will be accessible from the QuickType bar in apps and in Safari.

What a wonderful present for us at WWDC this year! Thank you to all our friends at Apple for this great new API. #1PasswordAutofill pic.twitter.com/jpvRVogslS - 1Password (@1Password) June 5, 2018

You're also going to be able to share and receive passwords from nearby iOS devices, from an iOS device to a Mac, and from an iOS device to an Apple TV, cutting down on the number of times that you need to use a password.

All of these new password features will work across iOS devices, Macs, and the Apple TV to make it easier than ever to keep your products secure through strong passwords and two-factor authentication.

Article Link: iOS 12 Makes Your iPhone More Secure With Easier Password Creation and Storage

tzm41

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2014
Sunnyvale
The reused password warning is great for many non-techies, since it's built into the system. Hopefully it could make the mass a bit less prone to data dump of those hacked companies.

Reactions: Stargher

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I really like the keyboard addition of the incoming text code. That’s very nice. I just want the ability to have that generated password to be stored in 1Password and not solely in iCloud Keychain.
[doublepost=1528222974][/doublepost]
So do I need 1Password any more?
If you use 1Password to store non-password info, need to use the travel mode, use a shared password library with your family, or want the new stronger checks of passwords then no. Otherwise iCloud Keychain is a really good option.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
So do I need 1Password any more?

1password will offer a better experience like most 3rd party alternatives of stock software do but for people who don’t already have 1password or similar subscription this is fantastic. I already only use iCloud Keychain with my own passwords though with the XKCD method. Have not had any account hacked after switching all of my passwords to this method. My Twitter and Netflix were hacked twice by using weak 8-10 alphanumeric passwords and I finally said the hell with it. I’ll trade convenience for security.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Also new in iOS 12 is a feature that lets you ask Siri to get your passwords. With a simple command like "Siri, show me my passwords," Siri will open up your iCloud Keychain after you authenticate your identity with a fingerprint, a Face ID scan, or a passcode.

Yeah... not sure if I really want Siri to do this! So many things can go wrong!

Reactions: Agit21 and Tivoli_

saintstryfe

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
Just wish I could cross iCloud keychain over to Google passwords so I can use it on the occasional non-Apple device. I grant that it's rare (with the exception of my gaming PC, which doesn't need many passwords, being it's a overgrown Nintendo.)

Reactions: sos47

Jorgisimo

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2018
I love my LastPass, but the integration was always so annoying. I cant wait for full integration.

Reactions: Agit21

ViDeOmAnCiNi

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
AZ
I use Lastpass and I am soooooo on-board with this! It's a hassle but worth it for the security but if it's OS integrated, that's GREAT!

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
iCloud Keychain is terrible. It doesn’t even log me into my Apple ID account.

This is one of the only accounts that iCloud Keychain does not support. My ConEd account doesn’t work with keychain either. Still for most sites including macrumors it works like a charm.
[doublepost=1528226461][/doublepost]What I do as well in addition to using keychain is keep a locked note in Notes with all of my most important passwords in case something goes wrong. It is secure enough and I have access to everything on my Mac and all of my iOS devices.

And with TouchID on my Mac and iPhone it’s super convenient and fast to open up password protected notes.

Reactions: 69650 and sos47

sigbiz

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
Much mention of Safari accessing 3rd party apps. . Is this another only with Apple software or is it scheduled to work with Chrome too?

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Much mention of Safari accessing 3rd party apps. . Is this another only with Apple software or is it scheduled to work with Chrome too?

I think Safari only. Why would they support Chrome? They always recommend using Safari for better battery life and continue to tout Safari’s performance. I exclusively use Safari on my MBP. If I had a desktop then I would only use Chrome.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
How?... It works for me quite well.

You’re right. It does work for me as well. I just tried on iOS. I think one time I had trouble on macOS signing in to the support forums or maybe it was another site.
[doublepost=1528228873][/doublepost]
Exactly. Did 1Password just get Sherlock’d by Apple? (Remember Karelia Watson?)

They’re going after Snap and Hangouts as well. We really can’t complain. The more features Apple offers us the better especially if they can save us some money.

Reactions: sos47
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.