IOS 12 performance on iPad Air and iPad Mini 2

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by B/D, Jun 6, 2018.

1. B/D macrumors member

B/D

They both lag (UI and keyboard) and skip frames quite badly with IOS 11.

Any speed improvements with IOS 12?

Thanks.

2. dubvulture macrumors newbie

dubvulture

I’m running it on my iPad Mini 2 and the lag and frame skips have improved quite noticeably. I had reduce transparency and reduce motions enabled on 11.4 because it was so bad. With 12 I can leave both those settings off and it’s fairly quick and smooth. I’m enjoying using my Mini again.

3. B/D thread starter macrumors member

B/D

That's awesome! Thank you very much!.

4. NazgulRR macrumors 6502

What is the typing experience on iPad mini 2 like? Is it fast and fluid? Or does it lag if you type fast?

5. dubvulture macrumors newbie

dubvulture

I’m using a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard folio and there’s no lag for me. I’m not exactly the worlds fatest typest though.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2018 ---
    I wrote this with the native keyboard and didn’t notice any lag either. Definitely better than 11.4.

6. forerunnerg34 macrumors 6502

forerunnerg34

I installed on my iPad Air, keyboard lag is still there. slightly improvement over iOS11 in general but still the same frustration.

7. HippyRabbitFish macrumors member

HippyRabbitFish

iPad Air here on iOS 12. So far, so good. For a device that has this much age on it, I’m legitimately impressed. I had been holding out on updating to 11 due to a few 32-bit games I was holding on to, but I’ve weaned myself off them and am quite glad for it. I was on 11.4.1 for only a week, but even in this short time on iOS 12, there is less noticeable lag in launching and in the keyboard.

I have zero complaints with Apple continuing supporting this device in iOS 12!

8. Skilluzzo macrumors newbie

Skilluzzo

I’m still at ios10 last version... should i update?

9. yellowbunny macrumors regular

I moved from 10 to 12 on my mini 2 and am super pleased. Performances seems better across the board and the ui changes are really useful.

10. iLLUMI macrumors 6502

I just updated from 9.3.5 to 12.0.1 on my Mini 2 and I'm happy with performance and new features.
    There are a couple of areas that are laggy but overall I'm quite impressed and satisfied.
    My Mini 2 has a new lease on life as I can now upgrade many of my apps that needed iOS 10. :)

11. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

If you're getting lag -- try a clean install. Don't do any incremental update. Don't install or reinstall anything from an iCloud backup. Don't install old apps from backups.

Go into iTunes, plug in the iPad, then install iOS 12.0.1 on your iPad and set it up as a new device. True clean, new install. Then download fresh apps from the App store.

This has a decent chance of fixing lagging, stuttering, and similar performance issues. I do this with every new iOS release.