Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
My thoughts exactly! Say Apple shipped the phones early with “half-baked” iOS 13 (DB6-8) or whatever. It would make more sense (to me) if they just continued improving iOS 13.0 betas, released iOS 13.0 GM on 10 Sep and then everyone getting a new iPhone in late September could just update it straight away to the latest iOS 13.0 variant (which would have been very stable by then). So why create this software confusion late in iOS 13.0 beta cycle?
Maybe Apple wanted to play it safe by accelerating the shipments of iDevices out of china (to not be hit by any random tariffs imposed by the US). If they indeed pulled this off, they probably required a GM a while ago. Makes sense to install b8 as a GM on the new devices and then try to rush-release a 13.1 on the keynote day (because them introducing major features like automation or shared ETA requires a point release and no minor release).

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
I don't think I see it mentioned in any of the previous 23 pages but this beta has super sensitive touch. My Xs Max does not even care for 3D touch, if my finger sits on any link or icon for half a second, it's considering it long press. Please tell me there are others out there.
Same here on iPad Mini 4. Its super sensitive. Seems it selects items when simply trying to scroll the page.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
For me, this seems somewhat random. I think this is just the beta thing. There was a beta when no link opened the app, it was always Safari. Now, almost always it is the proper app if installed. Rarely does it go to Safari. So I preliminarily conclude this is just random beta thing. Nothing to worry I fancy.

I hope you’re right. I vastly prefer it if links worked as Apple had advertised so many moons ago (opening in their respective apps).

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Let me just break down the theory of why we see 13.1 before the release of 13.0.

It's because of the trade war between the US and China. There are 10 - 15% of tariffs incoming. Now Apple is an american company and produces mostly in China so the tariffs would apply. Apple obviously doesn't want to pay that. A lot of iPhone 11 models have already been produced and Apple is trying to ship them into the US as fast as possible to avoid the tariffs. Now one of the last steps in the production of an iPhone is to flash the latest software onto the phone before the phone is packaged, sealed and ready for transport. That latest software is currently beta. Beta 8 to be exact. iOS 13 is not finished yet and we could see more betas. So that means that if Apple ships the finished phones now into the US the software will be beta. So Apple is just going to leave 13.0 as it is (in beta) and focus on 13.1. So they will carry all bug fixes and everything else to 13.1. And as soon as the iPhone 11 is released, Apple will release 13.1 as an update. So users don't have to deal with a beta version of iOS 13 when they unbox and set up their phone.

It just makes sense.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
Let me just break down the theory of why we see 13.1 before the release of 13.0.

It's because of the trade war between the US and China. There are 10 - 15% of tariffs incoming. Now Apple is an american company and produces mostly in China so the tariffs would apply. Apple obviously doesn't want to pay that. A lot of iPhone 11 models have already been produced and Apple is trying to ship them into the US as fast as possible to avoid the tariffs. Now one of the last steps in the production of an iPhone is to flash the latest software onto the phone before the phone is packaged, sealed and ready for transport. That latest software is currently beta. Beta 8 to be exact. iOS 13 is not finished yet and we could see more betas. So that means that if Apple ships the finished phones now into the US the software will be beta. So Apple is just going to leave 13.0 as it is (in beta) and focus on 13.1. So they will carry all bug fixes and everything else to 13.1. And as soon as the iPhone 11 is released, Apple will release 13.1 as an update. So users don't have to deal with a beta version of iOS 13 when they unbox and set up their phone.

It just makes sense.
I totally agree. All cred to gwhizkids for this theory though.

ajayjp

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2016
Agreed. I Have a 2019 Rdx and getting freezes, app crashes on CarPlay in or out of apps on 13.1 beta. Touchpad will just freeze, was not an issue with iOS 13 last beta which was very smooth and reliable. Ion 13.1 was unusable for CarPlay for me. Terrible update. Had to restore phone back to 13.0 previous public beta right before they released 13.1 to public beta. Immediately removed the profile now. not sure why break something on a point release when this was fine before.

I have been trying to figure out if this an issue with IOS 13.1 or if its the RDX Infotainment issue. Last week, there was a system update to the Infotainment system and it was about the time when I upgraded to iOS 13.1 and could not figure out which is causing problem.

I have RDX 2019 Tech - so can you confirm if you are running the latest RDX Firmware and its working fine with IOS 13 but not 13.1

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Started happening over the weekend.
XS Max 13.1 PB
Be on the home screen, swipe right to get to the widget screen.
The screen will go blank and get the spinning cursor for about 10 seconds and asked to resign in.
Every app in the task manager will act as if it is the initial launch.

Reported.

Had this happen 2x more today when trying to apply a photo from the Album as Wallpaper. Never mind the scroll / adjust for wallpaper is busted.

Reactions: tekenology

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015
What is the likely timeline of actual rollout of a fix, if the resolution shown against an item in the feedback assistant shows as "Potential fix identified - For a future OS update".

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
What is the likely timeline of actual rollout of a fix, if the resolution shown against an item in the feedback assistant shows as "Potential fix identified - For a future OS update".

I identified the lack of a keyboard shortcut pop up on the home screen in iPadOS 13.0 beta 1, got that message and I believe it was fixed by beta 3. But it probably depends on the nature of the bug and it’s criticality.

Reactions: macintoshmac

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015
I identified the lack of a keyboard shortcut pop up on the home screen in iPadOS 13.0 beta 1, got that message and I believe it was fixed by beta 3. But it probably depends on the nature of the bug and it’s criticality.
Did you receive that message in the week preceding the release of Beta 3 or more than a week earlier?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Did you receive that message in the week preceding the release of Beta 3 or more than a week earlier?

I don’t recall for certain. I filed the initial bug on June 13. On July 18, I added the comment that beta 4 (not 3, as I originally responded) had fixed it. I was checking Feedback statuses at least once per week and I seem to recall to posting somewhere here that the fix was scheduled. I assumed it would be for a point release, based on the verbatim. So I’m guessing it was at least 2-3 wells prior to the fix actually occurring.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
Hangouts is NOT crashing on either the X or the XS Max.
Crashing on my X ever since the update to 13.1. Also, there is a thread in the Google support forums with over a hundred people reporting the same thing. So, yes Hangouts IS crashing for a lot of people.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
I’ve noticed that, with all of the iOS 13 betas, I’ve had problems with Google Maps voice notifications for turn-by-turn directions. The voice will just stop randomly. It’ll work normally for half the trip and then I’ll miss a turn because it just goes silent. Even uninstalled and reinstalled and had the same problems. No clue what triggers it, but it’s a huge inconvenience.

gank41

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2008
I have been trying to figure out if this an issue with IOS 13.1 or if its the RDX Infotainment issue. Last week, there was a system update to the Infotainment system and it was about the time when I upgraded to iOS 13.1 and could not figure out which is causing problem.

I have RDX 2019 Tech - so can you confirm if you are running the latest RDX Firmware and its working fine with IOS 13 but not 13.1

I've got a 2018 Chevy Impala and since updating to iOS13.1, my iPhone XS Max disconnects every couple minutes. Music still plays, and my Phone Screen still shows the turn-by-turn navigation like it was still connected.. Not seeing any software updates for the radio, but I'd assume it's another bug related to iOS13.1.. What makes it hard is reporting issues potentially related to the radio, not the iOS release. I've filed bugs before and have been told to contact my Car Manufacturer LOL... Like, ok? They're going to listen to little old me lol

Reactions: tekenology

tekenology

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2015
I've got a 2018 Chevy Impala and since updating to iOS13.1, my iPhone XS Max disconnects every couple minutes. Music still plays, and my Phone Screen still shows the turn-by-turn navigation like it was still connected.. Not seeing any software updates for the radio, but I'd assume it's another bug related to iOS13.1.. What makes it hard is reporting issues potentially related to the radio, not the iOS release. I've filed bugs before and have been told to contact my Car Manufacturer LOL... Like, ok? They're going to listen to little old me lol
My pioneer head unit has similar issues

Codeigniter

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2016
Canada
Quick question y’all, how often do you get re-springs especially on the iPad Pro 12.9 (2018)? Noticing it more often on it as compared to my iPhone XS

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009

It just makes sense.

Except that the iPhone will be exempt from tarrifs, so this theory is bogus.
Also, Apple doesn't ramp up production until after the product is announced.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Except that the iPhone will be exempt from tarrifs, so this theory is bogus.
Also, Apple doesn't ramp up production until after the product is announced.

Except Apple had no way of knowing that there would be no tariffs for sure 6 weeks ago and were not likely to bet the farm that iPhones would remain exempt. Or that China would not somehow hold the iPhone hostage (new variant on my theory).

And Apple does not release a beta of an x.1 version of software before releasing the x.0 version ... until they did.

The past is an imperfect tool for predicting the future.

Reactions: mcvaughan

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Except Apple had no way of knowing that there would be no tariffs for sure 6 weeks ago and were not likely to bet the farm that iPhones would remain exempt. Or that China would not somehow hold the iPhone hostage (new variant on my theory).

And Apple does not release a beta of an x.1 version of software before releasing the x.0 version ... until they did.

The past is an imperfect tool for predicting the future.

Tim Cook is a logistics wizard - alternate manufacturing facilities were sourced long ago. Apple does not keep a product on the shelf or in a ready-to-ship state for more than five days. They're incredibly efficient at manufacturing enough product for a five day window (which is why they choose to be out of stock than excess inventory).

Sorry, but I do not think your theory is sound.

Last edited by a moderator:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

It just makes sense.
Apple internally is well ahead of betas that are released. So while we had beta 8 out, Apple already had more or less finalized 13.0 code that was likely ahead of that. Furthermore, if we are talking about some additional bug fixes and the like that they would still need for iOS 13, that would be released as 13.0.1 and other bug fix releases of that nature, which can be released pretty much right away when iOS 13 goes public. In a theory like that, there really isn't a need for a 13.1 release to become the release that comes out publicly right away with 13.0 basically being skipped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.