Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
Spot 3 bugs.

Screen recording icon randomly show even though I haven’t touched it.
1804b03fd6fcd203b4024f38a48804da.jpg

Messages or texts sent with links randomly
fail right away.

When assigning a phone contact a picture from messages (say with a picture someone sent)..after selecting the contact. The picture appears upside down.

Minor annoyance

Text selection is buggy and I wish there was a easy way to do “select all” ..

Also paste is a hit or miss. Sometimes you have to double tap at the start of where you should type. Paste will not show on any other part you double tap

Reactions: ram130

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
And you know what to do when a developers has abandoned their app? You do as well by deleting it and finding an app where there’s still active development.
Guess what? There are tons of apps out there being actively Maintained by devs unwilling to adapt to dark mode. For my banking apps, I don’t see them willing to even venture to the “dark side” and enable dark mode anytime soon. What can user do? Nothing. And system wise dark mode can easily make a well designed app harder to use.

Welcome to the world where many times, you have no choice.

Reactions: ErikGrim

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Good luck with that. Still on this day, many apps still don't support smart invert colours so...

Personaly, I think its a big mistake by Apple. Dark mode as of now looks like a mess and believe me, many apps will not do anything to support it. At least Apple could force the dark keyboard anywhere when this mode is activated. For me, its a nonsense.

Exactly. If you install a third-party keyboard, that keyboard works and appears everywhere and within all apps. Why would they not theme the dark mode keyboard across the entire iOS? Lmao it’s literally a ridiculous decision that doesn’t make any sense, although lately that is par for the course with Apple’s design team efforts.
[doublepost=1563755814][/doublepost]
These people getting all pressed over Dark mode.lol View attachment 849261

Because it is (another) poor design choice by Apple.

The FACT is that if you install Gboard, Swipe, or any third-party keyboard, *THAT KEYBOARD WORKS EVERYWHERE*

There is absolutely no justification for the dark mode keyboard not being pushed as universal across the entire iOS. Other than poor, lousy design. That’s a fact. Literally all of the other keyboards you can install allow the feature. Except Apple’s own implementation, lol. Sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
Exactly. If you install a third-party keyboard, that keyboard works and appears everywhere and within all apps. Why would they not theme the dark mode keyboard across the entire iOS? Lmao it’s literally a ridiculous decision that doesn’t make any sense, although lately that is par for the course with Apple’s design team efforts.
[doublepost=1563755814][/doublepost]

Because it is (another) poor design choice by Apple.

The FACT is that if you install Gboard, Swipe, or any third-party keyboard, *THAT KEYBOARD WORKS EVERYWHERE*

There is absolutely no justification for the dark mode keyboard not being pushed as universal across the entire iOS. Other than poor, lousy design. That’s a fact. Literally all of the other keyboards you can install allow the feature. Except Apple’s own implementation, lol. Sad.

Then why are you exactly on iPhone. If you want Dark mode everywhere so bad, go to Android. Use Gboard if that works better for you. Apple is giving developers the prerogative on how they would want things to work on their app, like let’s say PayPal doesn’t have a Dark mode, me, as a developer do I want a dark mode keyboard on my white-themed app, given the option I can choose? Most certainly NOT. Now Tapatalk, has a Dark keyboard if Dark mode is on like this screenshot for example.

e5a8f0e3edf98a1a3eb7e363f36f856a.jpg

It’s not lousy, it’s called giving the developers the freedom to choose how people interact with their app. FREEDOM

Y’all so pressed over dark mode. Like its so HARD to comprehend that Apple is giving everyone a choice. And you call it LOUSY, just because it doesn’t go YOUR way.

Let’s end this discussion by saying,

GET OVER IT

Last edited:

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Then why are you exactly on iPhone. If you want Dark mode everywhere so bad, go to Android. Use Gboard if that works better for you. Apple is giving developers the prerogative on how they would want things to work on their app, like let’s say PayPal doesn’t have a Dark mode, me, as a developer do I want a dark mode keyboard on my white-themed app, given the option I can choose? Most certainly NOT. Now Tapatalk, has a Dark keyboard if Dark mode is on like this screenshot for example.

It’s not lousy, it’s called giving the developers the freedom to choose how people interact with their app. FREEDOM

Y’all so pressed over dark mode. Like its so HARD to comprehend that Apple is giving everyone a choice. And you call it LOUSY, just because it doesn’t go YOUR way.

GET OVER IT
Stop your arrogance by being blind by Apple decision. We can all say "get over it" for all feature people demand except ourselves.

Its not hard to understand that its literally stupid to at least not force a dark keyboard anywhere on the system when a dark mode is activated. A keyboard is NOT a developper decision but a user's choice over a specific theme mode. Hard to understand ?

And we don't want devs to change their apps. As of now, even the default Apple app's dark mode is inconsistent and broken with white news articles, white mails, white web pages etc,

I use Dark Reader on Mojave and I rarely saw issues with webpages. All Apple could do at least is adding a whitelist for websites that wasn't show the right way when in dark mode and everyone would be happy. The brand identity and all is all BS because when doing correctly, only the white background are reverted, not toe logos or all the important colours of the website.

Dark mode as of now are a mess everywhere except in Messages, phone or 2-3 other apps that didnt require any web sources. News, mail and Safari app are particularly looking awful in Dark mode and not forcing a Dark keyboard on top of it is just a bad decision. Claiming to just jump to Android because of it is just a sign that you can't argument about it.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
1. I do think the dark mode discussion should move to its own thread. It’s taken over this one, and while relevant to the beta, has significance beyond this beta and is heating things up in this thread unnecessarily for the general audience.

2. For those of you who think you should be able to dark Mode any website, think how advertisers would react if you could change how their ads appear in a certain medium. It wouldn’t last long. Same here. You don’t own the content; the developer/owner does. And one of the prerogatives of owning that content is deciding how you get to see it, whether you like it or not. Take it up with them.

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
Stop your arrogance by being blind by Apple decision. We can all say "get over it" for all feature people demand except ourselves.

Its not hard to understand that its literally stupid to at least not force a dark keyboard anywhere on the system when a dark mode is activated. A keyboard is NOT a developper decision but a user's choice over a specific theme mode. Hard to understand ?

And we don't want devs to change their apps. As of now, even the default Apple app's dark mode is inconsistent and broken with white news articles, white mails, white web pages etc,

I use Dark Reader on Mojave and I rarely saw issues with webpages. All Apple could do at least is adding a whitelist for websites that wasn't show the right way when in dark mode and everyone would be happy. The brand identity and all is all BS because when doing correctly, only the white background are reverted, not toe logos or all the important colours of the website.

Dark mode as of now are a mess everywhere except in Messages, phone or 2-3 other apps that didnt require any web sources. News, mail and Safari app are particularly looking awful in Dark mode and not forcing a Dark keyboard on top of it is just a bad decision. Claiming to just jump to Android because of it is just a sign that you can't argument about it.

Im sorry if I sounded arrogant, English is not my first language and I come from a country in the East where we we have our own writings, grammar and sentence structure.

Last edited:

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
1. I do think the dark mode discussion should move to its own thread. It’s taken over this one, and while relevant to the beta, has significance beyond this beta and is heating things up in this thread unnecessarily for the general audience.

2. For those of you who think you should be able to dark Mode any website, think how advertisers would react if you could change how their ads appear in a certain medium. It wouldn’t last long. Same here. You don’t own the content; the developer/owner does. And one of the prerogatives of owning that content is deciding how you get to see it, whether you like it or not. Take it up with them.

Exactly, it is more than just a smart invert of colours, modifying the CSS, adding some media query.

HylianKnight

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2017
News, mail and Safari app are particularly looking awful in Dark mode and not forcing a Dark keyboard on top of it is just a bad decision.
Dark keyboard always works for me, sounds like a bug for you. Can you provide me a website that dark keyboard doesn’t work for you so that I may test? Perhaps we can move away from the opinions about how dark mode should be implemented and back to reporting and testing bugs?

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
Dark keyboard always works for me, sounds like a bug for you. Can you provide me a website that dark keyboard doesn’t work for you so that I may test? Perhaps we can move away from the opinions about how dark mode should be implemented and back to reporting and testing bugs?

Exactly.

Claiming to just jump to Android because of it is just a sign that you can't argument about it.
Nah. If you don’t like how things are implemented on stuff you don’t have any control of, then you should you just switch to something that fits you better. Arguing on something everytime it doesn’t fit on how you would want it to be is just similar to a kid having a tantrums for not getting what he/she wants. Save yourself from the stress of arguments and just move along to a greener pasture where you would get what you want... or most of what you want.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Im sorry if I sounded arrogant, English is not my first language and I come from a country in the East where we we have our own writings, grammar and sentence structure.
I understand. English is not my primary language to so we are on the same boat.

All I say is at least Apple could bring us more choice like adding Safari extensions on ios. That way, everyone would be happy. But I agree that the Dark mode debate should have his own threat and I'll stop commenting there for this subject. I respect all opinions and I'm glad if many people are satisfied with this feature.

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
I understand. English is not my primary language to so we are on the same boat.

All I say is at least Apple could bring us more choice like adding Safari extensions on ios. That way, everyone would be happy. But I agree that the Dark mode debate should have his own threat and I'll stop commenting there for this subject. I respect all opinions and I'm glad if many people are satisfied with this feature.

I honestly like how dark mode is being implemented. Surely there are a lot of stuff to work with still like refining the dark mode design but it’s too early to tell because we are still on the 4th Dev Beta and September is a half away stilll.

Anyway I will stop commenting on the Dark mode should or should not. Arguing is not good on the skin.

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Did the beta break iCloud tabs? I have iPad OS 13 PB3 on my iPad and it can no longer see tabs on my other devices (and vice versa). iCloud tabs are still working between my phone (12.3) and my Mac (Mojave).

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
Did the beta break iCloud tabs? I have iPad OS 13 PB3 on my iPad and it can no longer see tabs on my other devices (and vice versa). iCloud tabs are still working between my phone (12.3) and my Mac (Mojave).

Working on my iPad Pro 9.7 and iPhoneXS, both on db4 and MacOS Mojave.
You may want to try rebooting and if that doesn't work, try signing out iCloud and back in on all your devices.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009

GET OVER IT

No, I don’t think we should just “get over it” and settle for nonsensical design choices.

Apple doesn’t care about FREEDOM because EVERY OTHER KEYBOARD YOU CAN INSTALL is themed and pushed to the entire iOS. Ever used Fleksy? They have pink, purple, blue, gradients of all spectrums etc. and it will appear that way in whatever app or window uses the keyboard.

WHY ON EARTH wouldn’t Apple make the same decision for their OWN keyboard in Dark Mode? That is a stupid decision that deserves discussion, not some kind of fan defense using “freedom” and choice. The choice was already made ... dark mode.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Guess what? There are tons of apps out there being actively Maintained by devs unwilling to adapt to dark mode. For my banking apps, I don’t see them willing to even venture to the “dark side” and enable dark mode anytime soon. What can user do? Nothing. And system wise dark mode can easily make a well designed app harder to use.

Welcome to the world where many times, you have no choice.

There are absolutely apps that are maintained but not adopting all the latest features. Those apps, at least for me is apps I very very rarely open and honestly don’t expect much from. Many apps however are easily replaceable by other well developed apps.

Never said apple should force dark mode if that is what you are implying.

No, I don’t think we should just “get over it” and settle for nonsensical design choices.

Apple doesn’t care about FREEDOM because EVERY OTHER KEYBOARD YOU CAN INSTALL is themed and pushed to the entire iOS. Ever used Fleksy? They have pink, purple, blue, gradients of all spectrums etc. and it will appear that way in whatever app or window uses the keyboard.

WHY ON EARTH wouldn’t Apple make the same decision for their OWN keyboard in Dark Mode? That is a stupid decision that deserves discussion, not some kind of fan defense using “freedom” and choice. The choice was already made ... dark mode.

Just a thought. Maybe Apple doesn’t control the default keyboard except their own apps and system UI? I’m not a developer but it could work in a way where an app calls the the keyboard and the developer decides what that keyboard will look like in that app.

Third party keyboard could work completely different. The user has actively downloaded a keyboard and set a theme and the app developer has no control over third party keyboards.

Last edited:

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Nah. If you don’t like how things are implemented on stuff you don’t have any control of, then you should you just switch to something that fits you better . . .

Erm, we’re only part way through this Beta and there is still ample time for things to change with Feedback (which I and others of course) send to Apple via the official app.

Apple also monitors forums such as this so, for topics people are passionate about, it can prove to be an additional development feedback contribution to post and discuss here.

Over the years I’ve seen the comment, “Just switch to Android then . . .” many times. It doesn’t add anything to the discussion.

Reactions: Feenician

HylianKnight

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2017

Again, instead of continuing to argue would you PLEASE post examples and steps to reproduce no darkmode keyboard. For me, when darkmode is enabled the keyboard is always dark themed. I do believe you are experiencing a bug when it comes to the keyboard.
[doublepost=1563778420][/doublepost]
EVERY OTHER KEYBOARD YOU CAN INSTALL is themed and pushed to the entire iOS
On another note, I have used SwiftKey and while I liked being able to make my own theme for example, I ultimately decided the potential security risks just weren’t worth it. To each their own though. We all have different risks we are willing to take.

Last edited:

AdisCZ

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2018
I know that this is a stupid question. BUT. I is this version usuable as a daily driver od is better to wait a few weeks?

Thanks!

poool88

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2014
Italy
maybe because the most important thing is aesthetic coherence. If an app is forced in light theme apple thinks that is not coherent show ui elements in dark theme.

btw don't worry, apple has provided developers with a way to opt-out dark theme support, but it is only temporary. In the future every developer will be forced to adopt dark themes in UIKit based apps.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Last point I’m going to make on this topic: this is a beta. We have no idea if this this is how dark mode will be finally implemented. We also have no idea how many devs will implement it on their own apps or sites. Arguing about it now is a somewhat fruitless endeavor.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.