Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Just a word of warning, the watch has been severely crippled after installing iOS 13 on my phone. Temperature doesn't display, double notifications for iMessage, no third party notifications, can't disable maps notifications (watch alerts/vibrates every turn while using navigation in Carplay), can't answer phone calls, and I'm sure the list goes on.

I'm hoping the next beta fixes some of these issues.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
While I remain skeptical here, I have a feeling Apple is pushing this watchOS beta a bit more seriously than before: User can now downgrade watchOS to previous offical version by updating watchOS back.
https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204641
Notice this: Published Date: April 26, 2019

As of the bug here, I have an annoying quicker battery drain than usual under watchOS 5.2.1. After seeing that support document, I decide to update straight to watchOS beta 2. Yes, it is a beta but at least I can actually control compilations from the Watch app, rather than a “disjointed” state on iOS 13 beta 2 and watchOS 5.2.1. The catch is, yeah, you still need a previous version watchOS backup, just like upgrading iOS.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Just a word of warning, the watch has been severely crippled after installing iOS 13 on my phone. Temperature doesn't display, double notifications for iMessage, no third party notifications, can't disable maps notifications (watch alerts/vibrates every turn while using navigation in Carplay), can't answer phone calls, and I'm sure the list goes on.

Amazing. Who would have thought that pre-release beta software for developers wasn't 100% functional and bug-free?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
While I remain skeptical here, I have a feeling Apple is pushing this watchOS beta a bit more seriously than before: User can now downgrade watchOS to previous offical version by updating watchOS back.
This step does not downgrade watchOS. It's to be used when there's a version released, but the watch is still on a beta and doesn't show the release version.

Reactions: Ansath and jhfenton

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio

I have absolutely none of these issues. I don't use Carplay, so I can't speak to those bugs at all. But I have none of the other problems you mention. I don't have them now running the WatchOS 6 DB 2 with iOS 13 DB 2, and I didn't have them running WatchOS 5.x with iOS 13 DB 1.

There are some bugs on both the Watch and iPhone, but I see none of the ones you mention. In particular, the Watch currently does not respect the flag to automatically show/not show audio apps when playing. I have it turned off, but my podcast app always pops up on the Watch anyway when I'm playing a podcast on my iPhone.

Reactions: nikkisharif

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
This step does not downgrade watchOS. It's to be used when there's a version released, but the watch is still on a beta and doesn't show the release version.
Have you tried on that one? I just installed the beta and does not want to mess around with that yet. And since that is directly from Apple, it should have some level of credibility.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Turns out a lot of the stuff resolved after powering down and restarting the watch. Third party notifications returned

Reactions: jhfenton

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Except for my battery running down quicker (when I use workout) watchOS 6 has been fairly solid for me. All of my apps and complications are working just fine.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England

I had some issues, but a restart solved most. Now I just have usual niggly beta stuff.

Have you tried on that one? I just installed the beta and does not want to mess around with that yet. And since that is directly from Apple, it should have some level of credibility.

Nowhere does the site say that you can downgrade. It's purely for people that want to switch back to Public release from Beta - If you follow those steps, you stop getting the Beta updates and will get no updates until there's a newer public release. It's also used to swap out from Dev Beta to Public Beta, which is what I've done, using those steps. No downgrading at all.

Reactions: Daniel L

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Is watchOS 6 not available in Public Beta? I only can update to 5.2.1.
There's no public beta, likely because it's impossible for end users to do a full restore on the Watch if something goes wrong.
[doublepost=1561813927][/doublepost]
It's definitely not possible to downgrade the WatchOS via that method. It's the same thing as unenrolling an iOS device or a Mac from the developer or public beta programs.

Reactions: Ansath
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.