Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple in iOS 14.3 quietly added a new Siri feature that's designed to allow the personal assistant to replicate all manner of sounds, from animals to alarms, musical instruments, and more.

ios14compactsiri.jpg

According to CNBC, you can ask Siri questions like "what does a humpback whale sound like?" or "what does a lion sound like?" to have Siri play the sound of a whale or a lion.

Apple added hundreds of different sounds, and on iPhone and iPad, Siri will also display a picture of the animal or device and then link to more information from Wikipedia after playing the sound.

This Siri feature is still in the process of rolling out and we here at MacRumors were not able to get it to work properly on devices running iOS 14.3. We were, however, able to get it to work on HomePod in one case.

Article Link: iOS 14.3 Lets Siri Replicate Sounds Like Lion Roaring

Reactions: Ravi_MR

contacos

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
and yet it cannot replicate the "sound" of a different language. Listening to English messages while my Siri is set to German sounds on one hand hilarious, on the other hand completely awful.

You would think Apples amazing "machine learning" would know what language I am usually writing in with person X (which works while typing) but somehow still not with Siri

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2016
It sounds laughable, but these little novelty features really go along way to making Siri more like the others, and is especially important marketing wise when trying to sell little gadgets like the new HomePod mini.
About a year ago, Apple finally updated series joke responses. For the longest time, pretty much from 2011 until 2019, if you would ask Siri to “tell you a joke,” it was the same three responses every single time.
“ two iPhones walk into a bar, and I forget the rest.”
“ I can’t, I always forget the punchline.”
“ The past, present, and future walk into a bar, it was tense.”
Now, you get a huge wealth of responses.
Sure, this doesn’t go any more forward into expanding series knowledge, but it really makes it feel a lot less limited when you don’t get the same three responses to everything.
That is one thing that Google and Amazon have always had over Apple, even with these novelty questions, they always had tons of different variations and answers on these questions. So I’m happy to see Apple slowly, but surely, catching up when it comes to giving the virtual assistant a personality.

Last edited:

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
It sounds laughable, but these little novelty features really go along way to making Siri more like the others, and is especially important marketing wise when trying to sell little gadgets like the new HomePod mini.
About a year ago, Apple finally updated series joke responses. For the longest time, pretty much from 2011 until 2019, if you would ask Siri to “tell you a joke,” it was the same three responses every single time.
“ two iPhones walk into a bar, and I forget the rest.”
“ I can’t, I always forget the punchline.”
“ The past, present, and future walk into a bar, it was tense.”
Now, you get a huge wealth of responses.
Sure, this doesn’t go any more forward into expanding series knowledge, but it really makes it feel a lot less limited when you don’t get the same three responses to everything.
That is one thing that Google and Amazon have always had over Apple, even with these novelty questions, they always had tons of different variations and answers on these questions. So I’m happy to see Apple slowly, but Shirley, catching up when it comes to giving the virtual assistant a personality.
What's Shirley got to do with it?

• Haha
Reactions: svenning
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.