Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015
After using for a day and doing some basic testing...

12 ProMax - Things noticeable / Observed as I went through apps and screens

Widgets:
- Widgets are pretty much static and at times the displayed data will be incorrect - ex: Stocks with red graph and green numbers
- Weather still is frequently incorrect in comparison to the app

- reading a text on one device does not always clear the badge on another device
- Android SMS/MMS will not always forward to IPP 11
- Notifications are better but not 100%
- Custom ringtones do not properly play through the Apple Watch and default to default tone

Mail:
- Badge count vs actual count vs individual account count (Unread) do not always add up. Totals are sometimes off even after manual refresh. iCloud Mail is still the biggest boo-boo maker

App Library:
- Apps in the Recently Added folder before and after 14.4b1 install changed. I only expected Feedback to be a new add.
- The Big 3 in each folder are not always the most commonly used
- Suggestions still makes little sense at times

Screen:
- Slow scrolling shows a stutter at times. Expect it might be due to the low refresh rate

Camera:
- Something changed with RAW. There was a very noticeable difference between RAW and stock shots in 14.3, the difference is much less noticeable in 14.4.
- Significant reflection in low light and LED light especially at 2.5. Think this is mechanical; camera construction

Apps:
- everything I have tried so far has worked.
- noticing a dimming if playing a game (HD) or watching HD video after 10-15 minutes or so. The device is warm at that point. Temp dimming?

WiFI:
- Ran into an issue with maintaining good wifi signal reception. Have some more checking to do.

Facetime:
- running into a mic issue where my voice is cutting out in chunks. did not experience this with 14.3

Charging:
Still using my Anker wireless charging stands and they are working great.

Will post for the IPP 11 later....
More to come as I find it. Pretty much the same as 14.3 ... mostly.
Most items have been reported via feedback.
Have you reported ?

Reactions: Populus

Kermetajb

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2016
The stutter when closing an app is still happening on the 12 pro Max. However I have yet to see it go to app switcher rather than Home Screen, which may be temporary... will report back if it’s happening again
Same here on 12 pro with every version of 14.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
To my fellow public beta testers:

A reason why you might consider holding off on installing 14.4b1 is that b2 might not be coming until January.

Youtuber Aaron Zollo (zollotech) explained in in his first video on 14.4b1 that Apple usually doesn't release beta updates from a week before Christmas to sometime after New Year's.

Maybe things will be different this year, but installing a beta 1 seems riskier than normal given that we might have to wait 3 weeks for beta 2.

MarkSta69

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2017
FYI...I have the exact same issue with SMS sync, and my iPhone 12 was setup as new from the get go. My wife’s 12 mini has the same problem as well, and hers was restored from a backup.
The DFU restore with iTunes fixed it for me:
Backup with iCloud
DFU with iTunes
Setup phone as new
Verify that SMS is syncing to iPad
Then erase all content and settings
Restore from iCloud backup to get apps and data back

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Backup with iCloud
DFU with iTunes
Setup phone as new
Any tricks to getting into DFU mode? I've spent the past hour watching videos on how to do it and I can't figure out how the hell to do it. It just keeps restarting the phone.

MarkSta69

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2017
Any tricks to getting into DFU mode? I've spent the past hour watching videos on how to do it and I can't figure out how the hell to do it. It just keeps restarting the phone.
No tricks, just luck mainly. It took me forever to finally get it. I read somewhere that if the Apple Logo shows up then the side button in step 5 below was held too long.

1. Click the Volume Up button.
  2. Then, quickly click the Volume Down button.
  3. Then, quickly press-and-hold the Side button.
  4. When the iPhone's screen turns black, also press-and-hold the Volume Down button without letting go of the Side button.
  5. After about 5 seconds, release the Side button but keep holding the Volume Down button.
  6. Let go of Volume Down once you see the "recovery mode" prompt in Finder or iTunes on your computer. Your iPhone's screen will remain black.

Reactions: jhall8

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
No tricks, just luck mainly. It took me forever to finally get it. I read somewhere that if the Apple Logo shows up then the side button in step 5 below was held too long.

1. Click the Volume Up button.
  2. Then, quickly click the Volume Down button.
  3. Then, quickly press-and-hold the Side button.
  4. When the iPhone's screen turns black, also press-and-hold the Volume Down button without letting go of the Side button.
  5. After about 5 seconds, release the Side button but keep holding the Volume Down button.
  6. Let go of Volume Down once you see the "recovery mode" prompt in Finder or iTunes on your computer. Your iPhone's screen will remain black.
All I can say is wow... That is the single worst process I've ever had to follow on my iPhone. Took me at least 30+ tries to finally get it into DFU mode. It's doing the restore process now so I'm hoping that this will solve my unread SMS syncing issues.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
All I can say is wow... That is the single worst process I've ever had to follow on my iPhone. Took me at least 30+ tries to finally get it into DFU mode. It's doing the restore process now so I'm hoping that this will solve my unread SMS syncing issues.
9.9 times out of 10 DFU is not needed and a simple restore will work the same. DFU is typically only required when the OS wont boot allowing you to restore the normal way.

MattyFr3sh

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
So you’re saying it’s never worked?
It works fine besides the green flickering oled screen issue but its not worth dealing with iOS 14. I'm sticking with my iPhone 11 on 13.6 until I can receive all my texts and notifications properly.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Backup with iCloud
DFU with iTunes
Setup phone as new
This worked! The read status on my SMS messages are syncing properly now between the iPhone, iPads and Macs. Haven’t tried on the Apple Watch yet which has been an issue since long before iOS 14 but this is an improvement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.