Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The sixth beta of iOS 14.5 that was released this morning introduces two new Siri voices that are available in English, plus it adds a new setup selection option that will let people choose their preferred Siri voice rather than defaulting to a female voice in the United States.

The Siri changes were outlined by TechCrunch, and the site says that the two new voices will add more diversity in speech sound and pattern. Apple in a statement said that the change is a continuation of its commitment to diversity and inclusion.
We're excited to introduce two new Siri voices for English speakers and the option for Siri users to select the voice they want when they set up their device. This is a continuation of Apple's long-standing commitment to diversity and inclusion, and products and services that are designed to better reflect the diversity of the world we live in.
The new voices that have been added use source talent recordings run through Apple's Neural Engine to make the voices "flow more organically" through phrases generated on the fly.

After upgrading to iOS 14.5, the "Siri & Search" portion of the Settings app has an upgraded "Siri Voice" option. The "Accent" label has been changed to "Variety," and there's no longer a "Gender" selection. Instead, there are now four "American" voice options to choose from.

Today's beta also improves Siri voices in Ireland, Russia, and Italy to add Apple's Neural text to speech, which brings the total number of devices using this technology to 38. Siri now handles 25 billion requests on over 500M voices and supports 21 languages in 36 countries.

Article Link: iOS 14.5 Adds New Siri Voices, No Longer Defaults to Female

Last edited:
Reactions: KeithBN

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
There's already been multiple voices for Siri and I never bothered to change, doesn't matter to me. If you need your phone to talk back to you in a 'diverse' manner then you need more diverse friends to talk to. And diversity of thought, not immutable attributes.

cicalinarrot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
I’ve always thought standard female voices on assistants are disgustingly promoting the cliché of someone’s secretary being a woman (hence a woman in an office is probably the secretary).
Not sure why people in the progressive Silicon Valley thought it just felt natural to give firm and rude orders to a woman.

macguru212

macrumors demi-god
Apr 17, 2009
AZ/NYC/Tokyo
Still waiting for celebrity voices:

Scarlett Johansson (Samantha from "Her")
Candice Bergen (SAL from "2010")
Douglas Rain (HAL from "2001: a space odyssey")
Matt Frewer (Max Headroom from "Max Headroom")
Ana de Armas (Joi from "Blade Runner 2049")
HAL would be fun. I imagine current Siri voices are synthesized rather than samples of actual people talking, hence the difficulty. But still, character voices would be so much frickin fun it'll make hot coffee shoot out of your nose.

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Okay when is Siri getting good though

"Good" means different things to different people. Siri is great for me, though not perfect. It controls all my smart stuff easily, plays what I tell it to play, and is generally good at most basic questions — to me that's really good, though far from perfect.

I'd love to see it better at presenting the answer to more complicated questions that end up basically being web searches, but that's kind of it. I use Apple Music and Apple Maps, so its integration does not leave me wanting at all, but I can understand it's not open enough for some. So not perfect, but more than "good".

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.