Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MD0600

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2018
It might be just me but the HomePod mini will let me choose the new voice but the OG HomePod still only shows the 2 older options. Am I missing something. It is updated to 14.6

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
Is it possible to delete the voice you no longer want? These voices are 300-500 MB each and I don't see any option to delete them.
I might be mistaken but I got the impression when you chose another voice the previous download was removed?

If I choose Voice 2 under British, which I’m downloaded before switching back to Voice 1 (on the same device) it downloads it again?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I might be mistaken but I got the impression when you chose another voice the previous download was removed?

If I choose Voice 2 under British, which I’m downloaded before switching back to Voice 1 (on the same device) it downloads it again?
If you go to Settings | Accessibility | Spoken Content | Voices | Your Language | Siri <whew>, it seems iOS will eventually delete the least used voice, but not all of them.

When Apple introduced new Siri voices in iOS 14.5 beta 6 (March 31), I downloaded all 4 US English voices. I am using Voice 2 and the setting page shows Voice 3 as deleted, requiring a download (cloud icon). But voices 1 and 4 remain downloaded.

Reactions: tranceking26

tubedogg

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2003
Minnesota
I usually enjoy using different countries' versions of English voices for a little variety, but now they all sound very American. The accents seem very subtle, and that's just not as fun.
This is precisely what I was thinking. The Australian is now so subtle as to barely even be noticeable.

American voice 3 (the "new" male I guess?) is way too casual for me.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
The new ones sound amazing but I can't quite bring myself to change it, across ALL Siri devices, just yet. I'm trying one on my iPhone and it's still very jarring to hear something/someone so different, ha.

That's where I'm at also. They sound so realistic it's jarring. Plus I'm used to the current voice.

Xenden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Rio Rancho, NM
I have no problem with Apple adding new voices. I really miss the voices having names, now they are just generic voice 1, 2, 3, & 4.

What bugs me, is when you have people who insinuate that a female voice being a default on an assistant is “the patriarchy” forcing women to be subservient.

There is a reason that gps and voice assistants are female voices.

It has to do with people responding to female voices more than male ones; and when a company is trying to get someone’s attention (like when a left turn is coming up), then they will use the voice that achieves that goal.

Instead of focusing on adding 980970807 different voices, how about you translate iOS and MacOS in more languages? Still no Bulgarian despite Apple being around, what, 40 years? I don't feel represented and I am offended. Apple is supposed to be inclusive not divisive.
If this is sarcasm, I say we’ll done.

Murphintosh

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2013
I wonder what the percentage is of users that change the default voice? I never did. To expand, how many men and how many women change it?
I'm a guy and I've never had the Siri voice set as female. Maybe it's because I'm on the spectrum, but female Siri sounds loud and angry to me.

Reactions: Razorpit and JM

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I still wish for a multi-lingual assistant.
Or at least make the input language inconsequential to the output/Siri language chosen. Eg. I want to have Siri speaks in Japanese, while I give commands to it in English. :D

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I'm a guy and I've never had the Siri voice set as female. Maybe it's because I'm on the spectrum, but female Siri sounds loud and angry to me.
Interesting! I wonder if Apple knew that a male voice would be less harsh for you and others on the spectrum (since they put forth a lot of effort to make Accessible devices).

Adreitz

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2013
Haha so true...

I'm a white guy living in Australia, and I love how voice 3 sounds! I personally love having someone with that kind of voice telling me my lights can't be reached ?
Yeah, I changed Siri to voice 3, my first time changing away from the default. It's incredible and spooky how natural it sounds, as if they have a guy in a booth somewhere talking to me. Apple even nailed the intonation and stress changes throughout a paragraph.

The only downside is that I'm under the impression the Siri speech is mostly generated off-device on Apple's servers. It would be great if that kind of natural flow were achievable completely on-device.

I tried using Windows 10's Narrator function a few days ago to read a web article to me while I worked on something else (it didn't work, as the reader only functions in the foreground). WOOF, MS really needs to work on those voices. They sound like something Apple had ten or fifteen years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.